Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: help!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Guys.

new member on here and looking forward to meeting some of you lads at upcoming mini meets down here in Melbourne. Its been a long journey trying to get my 1994/5 Rover mini back on the road after shipping it out here on a personal import in 2015.

a little history on my mini and where I need some advice....
she started life as 1994/5 rover mayfair Auto SPI , and was bought as a non runner project off ebay in 2011 when i lived in London.

I consulted with a few MOT test centres if it was ok to do an engine conversion and would it affect my emissions testing at any stage. I was advised that as long as I built it to original spec it will pass MOT testing with no issues, which it did until shipping it to Australia.

I proceeded to do a conversion and fit a 1991 rover mini cooper 1275 manual engine along with all the relevant emission control goodies. All the SPI parts were stripped from the car and wiring modified for the carby setup.

Sooo here we go....time to get it VASS inspected.... the major issue that has now been kicked up is she WILL NOT pass ADR testing here with the current engine fitted as its "not of original manufacture" grrrrrr. there goes $1100 down the toilet...

my question is.... is there any way around this? she's got got 2 more years to go before qualifying classic car status of 25 years, and possibly avoiding ADR compliance's... any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: help!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 am 
1360cc
1360cc

On face value, you need to vigorously push back on the "not of original manufacture" advice you have been given. Possibly engage a compliance engineer (I know, more money!)...keep us all informed on "progress".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I think their main gripe would be the carbs set up. The mini sp/mpii was given complience here because of the fuel injection. You may be able to go through all the jumps and hoops to get it through with them but it would probably cost more and be more work than refitting the SPI set up.
As for the rest probably pretty straight forward. Have you been in touch with Chris at Oz Coopers.?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 am 
Yay For Hay!

that's bullsh*t - it's a 1275cc mini engine, you haven't done an engine conversion, the engine is the exactly the same as the engine that was in it when it came out of the factory, the only difference is that it's running carbs instead of the injection.

It doesn't need any VASS inspection at all, just do whatever you need to do to register it as a personal import

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

A couple of important things to note here...

Firstly, the ADRs are applicable to a vehicle based on the date of manufacture of the vehicle. So even if it is eligible for classic/club/whatever registration scheme in a couple of years time (25 years old in some states, 30 yo in others) it will still be made in the same year (1994 or 1995) so the same emissions standard will apply.

If it was an original 1995 or later engine fitted with all its original fuel injection and emissions equipment, it would be 'deemed to comply' with the emissions standards. The alternative is to actually have it tested, but unless you are in NSW where they have the correct test facilities and (I think) RTA/RMS still test for free... then it will cost you. In Vic I think VIPAC have the only public accessible emissions test lab.

The problem with putting it through the test cycle is that it is unlikely to pass with carbs.

But... if your car is a genuine 'Personal Import', not just a personally imported vehicle (yes, there is a big difference) then you might have an out.

So, a few questions: Do you still have the blue import documents? Does it say it is a Personal Import, or that it is a used import under Reg xx (or similar.... I don't remember the wording now)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Just to put all this original manufacture compliance with smog rools/emissions into perspective...the same "authorities" have no hesitation allowing stuff like this on the roads...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am 
848cc
848cc

hi guys.

thanks for all the valuable info. I wont mentions names ect... but lets just say my last VASS inspector wasn't helpful. he was treating my case as a black and white case.

a few key things to note..
Personal import guidelines from Dep of infrastructure.

The personal imports option allows migrants settling in Australia, and expatriate Australian citizens returning permanently to Australia after a long period overseas, to bring their personal road vehicle with them, where the vehicle has been owned and used for a period of 12 months or longer.

Applicants must satisfy each of the following ownership requirements. You must:

own the vehicle when submitting the application; and
have acquired ownership of the vehicle while overseas; and
have owned the vehicle while overseas for a continuous period of at least 12 months. This is the “qualifying period”. The qualifying period must have occurred immediately before you (permanently) arrived in Australia.

The vehicle must have been available to you for use as transport. This means that the vehicle must have been available to be driven by you, at all times during the 12 month qualifying period. Evidence to establish availability would include that the vehicle is registered (in your name) and was garaged (proximate to your residence) throughout the 12 month qualifying period, so that you could drive the vehicle. In addition, evidence that you held an appropriate licence to drive the vehicle overseas would assist in confirming the vehicle was available for use.

As my mini was fitted with an earlier original spec 1275 manual engine with single SU and no cat it did comply with UK emission regs and past its yearly MOT (RWC) they base emissions on what ever is oldest, engine or body...

and vic roads requirements
Vehicle requirements
The vehicle must be:

in the right hand drive configuration
fitted with complying seat belts
fitted with child restraint anchorages for the rear seating positions
fitted with head restraints to the front outboard seating positions
otherwise comply with the standards for registration set out in Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009
be in a roadworthy condition.

so got no idea why emission control was been thrown into the mix..
anyhoo looking for another VASS guy who knows old cars unlike my last bloke.

is there anyone that recommended in the Melbourne or vic area? will be sad not to have this lille gem on the roads for others to enjoy too.

thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:41 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I don't see why you want a VASS - where did that come from?

a VASS is required when the vehicle has been modified beyond what is defined in VSB-14, and your car hasn't... https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/ ... _ncop.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

the car is originally from the UK and needs an inspection to obtain its compliance plate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:19 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

it would still have to be in a legal roadworthy condition, to me that means no modifications that alter it 'too' much from standard.
I do vehicle inspections and if some one turned up with a mid 90's commodore that had had the fuel injection taken off and a 4 barrel holley in it's place, i'd like to see them legally justify it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 am 
848cc
848cc

I'll ask again.... do you have the blue import approval documents issued by the Dept for Infrastructure?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

hi Tim
Yes I do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:03 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Craigb77 wrote:
the car is originally from the UK and needs an inspection to obtain its compliance plate.

still doesn't need VASS certification

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... ed-vehicle

vicroads wrote:
Documentation
Documentation required by VicRoads as part of the registration application.

- Import approval 4 part document, Part 3 (registering authority’s copy signed by a VASS signatory).
    - Current and original Certificate of Roadworthiness.
    - Personal Import plate/label must be fitted to the vehicle (yellow colour). A VASS signatory must be contacted to obtain the Personal Import plate/label.
    - Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be stamped on the vehicle.
    - VASS approval certificate is only required if converted from left hand drive to right hand drive or otherwise modified.
VASS is the Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme.

That just says to ring up a VASS engineer and say "can I please have a Personal Import plate/label"

That bit about "otherwise modified" refers to VSB-14 modifications which you haven't touched. If I was you I'd get the list of VASS engineers and ring each one, explain that you have 199x mini, personal import approval and just need the personal import label. If they want to see the car then fine, let them see the car, it looks standard enough. Open the bonnet and keep your mouth shut about what wasn't there when it was new. Tell them the original motor blew up and you put that one in if you really must, but don't offer any information that isn't asked for.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

simon k wrote:
Craigb77 wrote:

still doesn't need VASS certification

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... ed-vehicle

vicroads wrote:
Documentation
Documentation required by VicRoads as part of the registration application.

- Import approval 4 part document, Part 3 (registering authority’s copy signed by a VASS signatory).
    - Current and original Certificate of Roadworthiness.
    - Personal Import plate/label must be fitted to the vehicle (yellow colour). A VASS signatory must be contacted to obtain the Personal Import plate/label.
    - Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be stamped on the vehicle.
    - VASS approval certificate is only required if converted from left hand drive to right hand drive or otherwise modified.
VASS is the Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme.

That just says to ring up a VASS engineer and say "can I please have a Personal Import plate/label"

That bit about "otherwise modified" refers to VSB-14 modifications which you haven't touched. If I was you I'd get the list of VASS engineers and ring each one, explain that you have 199x mini, personal import approval and just need the personal import label. If they want to see the car then fine, let them see the car, it looks standard enough. Open the bonnet and keep your mouth shut about what wasn't there when it was new. Tell them the original motor blew up and you put that one in if you really must, but don't offer any information that isn't asked for.

There is also the part about otherwise comply with the standards for registration set out in Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009.
It says: http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... 8sr004.pdf
Quote:
VEHICLE STANDARDS
PART 1—INTRODUCTORY
Division 1—General
Note
This Schedule sets out standards that vehicles must comply with to be
eligible for unconditional registration and to be driven on roads and roadrelated
areas.
The ADRs (Australian Design Rules) are rules for designing and building
vehicles. Imported vehicles must also comply with the ADRs.
The Vehicle Standards require a vehicle that is subject to an ADR when built
or imported to continue to comply with the ADR.

That means it should meet all ADR's for a 1994 car?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

As a proper 'Personal Import' that requires a yellow personal Import identification plate to be fitted, I think you will find that it is exempt from compliance with all ADR's apart from seatbelts, seatbelt anchorages, child restraint anchorages, and head rests.

That is why I was asking if it was a 'Personal Import' on the paperwork or a personally imported vehicle under another scheme.