Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Seat Back fixing help.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:19 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi,

Another thing that was loose when I bought the car so I am not sure how it is meant to be.
Using the search function finds that the rear seat back is secured at the top with nuts that go under the parcel shelf that you access from in the boot.
I can see these holes in the parcel shelf, but sitting over the top of those holes is the speed nut on the metal frame on the seat back in the picture, it points the wrong direction by about 90 degrees.....
See pictures.

I think it is the original seat back, so perhaps I am missing a little bracket of some kind ?

Can anyone tell me how this should work ?

Thanks

Stewart.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am 
848cc
848cc

those clips look pretty worn. you should have holes drilled in the "lip" of the parcel shelf its self and self tapper screws fix the seat back to the shelf. its fiddlely so have a bit of patience...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

Craigb77 wrote:
those clips look pretty worn. you should have holes drilled in the "lip" of the parcel shelf its self and self tapper screws fix the seat back to the shelf. its fiddlely so have a bit of patience...

I do have holes in the lip as you describe, but they are ~40mm away from where the clips are.
Fitting it like that would mean there is a gap between the seat and parcel shelf trim in the middle which looks ugly and not correct.

Yeah the clips are a bit tired looking, I have packets of new ones here I will find before it goes back together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

are they the original seats from the mini? you may have to re drill the holes to line up..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

stewartrjh wrote:
I can see these holes in the parcel shelf, but sitting over the top of those holes is the speed nut on the metal frame on the seat back in the picture, it points the wrong direction by about 90 degrees.....

I think the brackets with the speed nuts have been bent back on themselves a little on your seat upright. I just checked mine and they are a bit the same but not as bad as yours. Possibly someone has lifted the seat back so it is freed from the two rods in holes at the bottom and then tried to get the seat off without realising there are the two fixings at the top.

See if you can bend them back a tad, without breaking the weld of course. You just need them in a position where a self-tapper will enter the hole, then tightening will bend them into shape.

I'm aware some people don't bother with those two top screws as the seat usually remains in place without them.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies.
The brackets were bent, removed the speed clips and used a screwdriver to bend them back and it all fitted very nicely !
I was beginning the think that after building and engine and gearbox, painting and bodywork that I was going to be defeated by a seat !

So onto sound deadening and carpet tomorrow, ah well it is late so today.

Stewart.