Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

How is everybody today.
I'm currently fixing up a pretty busted 1964 mk 1 and the last order of buisness before starting the bastard is fixing the oil leak in the pot joint housing. usually these just requiere a heafty hit however mine doesn't really have a pot joint it just goes straight to the rubber cv coupling and it's not coming apart even after hitting it like chris brown. I've made a pot joint removal tool after the mini spares one was too big and added heat but still no dice.
I'll attach some photos but does anyone have any advice/has anyone attempted removing a cv joint like this before.
Cheers fellow mini maniacs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:39 pm 
998cc
998cc

Welcome to the forum. Firstly, stop what you are doing. That is not a “pot joint”. It is a flange for the rubber universals that were used on those vehicles. The flange is retained onto the diff output shaft by a large nut. To get to said nut, must remove the rubber universal and preferably the axle too.

If you don’t have access to a workshop manual, recommend you do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

Steve you are my hero.
That was definitely one of the stupider things i've done and i hope i haven't damaged anything in the gearbox.
i've gotten her off and i will definitely be getting myself a workshop manual. i was hoping the engine would be more running when i bought it.