Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Electric fan questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:19 am 
848cc
848cc

Hey all,
I'm intending to run an electric fan on the outside face of the radiator to compliment, not replace, the existing belt driven fan. Am I right in thinking that I need a "puller" fan in this application, e.g. sucks the air through the radiator to exit in the inner wheel arch? Pretty sure this is right but just want to double check.

Cheers
Simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi Simon,

I have a puller fan on another vehicle (not a Mini...) which doesn't restrict or impede the airflow going through the radiator, however there is room to facilitate this in front of the engine.

With the Mini, unfortunately there is no room (without major modifications...), so the inner wheel arch with the thermo fan drawing air through the radiator (sucking...), is the best option you have.

Is the engine currently over heating?

Cheers...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 am 
848cc
848cc

Toy444 wrote:
Hi Simon,

I have a puller fan on another vehicle (not a Mini...) which doesn't restrict or impede the airflow going through the radiator, however there is room to facilitate this in front of the engine.

With the Mini, unfortunately there is no room (without major modifications...), so the inner wheel arch with the thermo fan drawing air through the radiator (sucking...), is the best option you have.

Cheers...

It's not quite overheating but it's getting hotter than I would like in stop/start traffic and we get very hot summer temps here. I was thinking of mounting the fan directly to the radiator (those zip tie jobbies) and cutting away some of the inner arch for clearance. Pretty sure this is how most people do it?

Thanks for your help :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I have a 68 deluxe and a rover thermofan just bolted straight in without mods.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:42 am 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
I have a 68 deluxe and a rover thermofan just bolted straight in without mods.

On the outer or inner side of the radiator?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 am 
1360cc
1360cc

What thermostat do you have fitted?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 am 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:

74 degree. Thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump have all been replaced. Whole system flushed until clear. All other parts inspected. It's fine when driving along it's just when you get held up at traffic lights or road-works etc. it get's above half.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Pullstarter wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

74 degree. Thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump have all been replaced. Whole system flushed until clear. All other parts inspected. It's fine when driving along it's just when you get held up at traffic lights or road-works etc. it get's above half.
You may want to check the temp of the engine with an infra red temp gun. Running it too cold will prevent the engine operating at its maximum efficiency and will also keep the oil from burning off moisture. Coolant temps between 80-90deg are good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm 
848cc
848cc

Pullstarter wrote:
Toy444 wrote:
Hi Simon,

Cheers...

It's not quite overheating but it's getting hotter than I would like in stop/start traffic and we get very hot summer temps here. I was thinking of mounting the fan directly to the radiator (those zip tie jobbies) and cutting away some of the inner arch for clearance. Pretty sure this is how most people do it?

Ok, I'd check the thermostat (as 9YaTaH suggested...) to see both its operating temperature and if it's actually working?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Pullstarter wrote:
Toy444 wrote:
Hi Simon,

Cheers...

In regards to mounting the fan directly to the radiator, I would suggest you don't zip tie it to the core as this can rupture the cooling fins and cause a leak via the cooling tubes. Try and mount it separately with bracket's attached from the body/radiator cowling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

Also, what radiator do you currently have fitted?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
Pullstarter wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

You may want to check the temp of the engine with an infra red temp gun. Running it too cold will prevent the engine operating at its maximum efficiency and will also keep the oil from burning off moisture. Coolant temps between 80-90deg are good.

Where's the best place to get a temp reading? Top tank of the radiator maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

Toy444 wrote:
Also, what radiator do you currently have fitted?

Just a standard rad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:43 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Pullstarter wrote:

I take the temperature readings from the top tank, next to the temp sender and the heater outlet. They should be similar once the thermostat is open and the coolant is flowing. If you take a reading from next to the spark plug or near the exhaust manifold it will read higher.

Its fine for the temp to go up to 100deg from long idle periods. A cooling system with a 13psi cap will only start to boil around 119deg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
Pullstarter wrote:

I take the temperature readings from the top tank, next to the temp sender and the heater outlet. They should be similar once the thermostat is open and the coolant is flowing. If you take a reading from next to the spark plug or near the exhaust manifold it will read higher.

Its fine for the temp to go up to 100deg from long idle periods. A cooling system with a 13psi cap will only start to boil around 119deg.

Thanks will give it a try, have a temp gun I can use.