Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

First and foremost, Happy New Year all...

This post is a continuance of my former one last year.

I am trying to catagorically identify my little vehicle in Mini history. It isa bit of a mystery to me as it has in discussion with other enthusiasts at first glance it is Japanese (JDM), but with a hint of English enigma. I have referenced the Mini Mania Vin webpages but am not entirely convinced.

Firstly I have now confirmed what I beleive is the VIN number (located behind the aircon unit) to be:

SAXXL2S3N20493190

SAX= Rover, X, L= 998cc, S2= 2door saloon, 3=???, N=HLE,Mayfair Righthand drive, 2 = 1985 on, 0 = RHD, then the sequential build No which carries on from previous series of cars.

The car fits this description, but what does the 3 stand for..JDM?

I know this vehicle was imported from Japan and has the Japanese interior, dash, thermo fan in the wheel well and aircon.
It also has rear push out windows, which I believe only came with the British vehicles. There was another number plate screwed on the engine bay above the grille, which is refected on the import and registration paperwork. Am not sure what this is or means.

I will not be dissapointed if the vehicle is JDM rather than a Mini 30th, but I am keen to confirm either way.

Lastly she has an automatic transmission, does this classify it as a Minimatic? and what should the servicing interval be to keep her in good condition. I have heard that they should be serviced more regularly than manuals.

Apologies for all the questions but I am really keen on the little car and her past...

Thanks in advance, and Happy Mini travels...

Over to the brains trust....ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

October 1990 build Mini Mayfair.
Possibly sold as a Mini 30 in Japan - but hard to confirm. The dealers did sticker and badge kits on cars to make them 'special' models in some cases even if they weren't. BMH certificate would confirm details - costs a few dollars and takes a little while ut if you want to know definitely what it is - its the only way.
Pop out windows is nothing special - it was an option on any mini - British or Japanese didnt matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 am 
Yay For Hay!

and no, doesn't quality as a mini-matic - it's just an automatic Mayfair - a mini-matic was made in Australia and badged that way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
and no, doesn't quality as a mini-matic - it's just an automatic Mayfair - a mini-matic was made in Australia and badged that way
Cheers.. I did not know that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk