Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:03 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, looking at upgrading the standard exhaust and headers on my 850 van but struggling to find local suppliers that stock them.
How much difference in length do saloons exhausts differ compared to a van?
Prefer to buy a complete "off the shelf" headers and exhaust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 am 
MinisPlus

The Extractors, Muffler and mounting kit is the same as the sedan. The center pipe for a van needs to be longer.
When we fit a system to a van a sedan pipe is cut,a flex piece installed and the pipe lengthened to suit the van.
The flex is great in preventing leaks and breaks.
As far as I am aware there is no off the shelf center pipe available for the van.
We have all the parts in stock to do this and are happy to help with advise. - We are back on the 8th of Jan.
Cheers, Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 am 
Yay For Hay!

I reckon the twin box RC40 system I bought from Karcraft a few years ago was long enough for a van, I had to cut a fair bit off the main pipe to go on a sedan, but I had fairly unique extractors

I bought my current exhaust (maniflow extractors through tailpipe) from UK - I think it worked out cheaper than buying locally, but wouldn't have been long enough for a van

do the online UK shops list a specific van setup?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 am 
998cc
998cc

I repurposed the RC40 from my S to use on the Traveller. Just had a local shop add a bit to the centre pipe.

I bought the RC40 in component form ...and without the centre pipe - because it fitted easier in my carry-on that way ;)

Having a local shop make and fit the centre bit means they can custom size and bend it depending on what kind of shift mechanism (remote/magic wand??) you have.

If I was doing it again I would just have my local shop make up the whole system using off-the-shelf muffler(s) and pipe.... Would bet it will be cheaper and easier than buying a special Mini system from OS, shipping it and then massaging to fit.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 am 
998cc
998cc

Good advice Ian. A mini exhaust is quite easy to bend up and you can get a better fit. Just buy your extractors and get an exhaust shop to do the rest.

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 am 
1360cc
1360cc

The complete exhaust system for the Mini van is part AYK2061. If anyone knows an exhaust shop that would be interested in making a few for supply to the Mini community I have the BMC engineering drawing showing the pipe dimensions and bends, and position of hanger brackets, etc.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am 
1098cc
1098cc

The centre pipe rarely needs to be extended. Its the tail pipe thats too short. Most of the engine pipes that are available are long enough.

I suggest a set of Maniflow extractors, an 1 3/4 engine pipe (The pipes we sell are extra long anyway, we have them custom made longer and we cut to suit each car) and a RC40 Muffler. You can fit a chrome extension to the RC40, that brings them out far enough.
You will have to either re position the 2 holes in the rear of the subframe (for the proper S type rear bracket) or give the fuel tank a belt with a hammer to allow clearance.
All parts are available at Link Automotive, opened since the 2nd January.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm 
998cc
998cc

https://www.calverst.com/technical-info ... rs-tested/
This is worth a look .