Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hello All
Still got problems with the brakes everything is new or reconditioned. When you start the car the pedal is hard on, not me the pedal. I took the booster back and they said the piston in the booster was sticking they fixed it ,so I refitted the booster again same problem. I contacted them again and they said there was probably a line pressure valve in the master cylinder which should not be there .They send the master cylinder away to get reconditioned so they will fix it .I just have to take it out. FYI if you get the same problem ,Lucky the car is all sprayed with 2 pack no damage from brake fluid on firewall. Question my car has a spacer under the master cylinder about 1.6mm thick is that normal.
Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:49 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I feel your pain...I recently took a servo (booster) to two well respected shops only to be bitterly disappointed...reputations are fine, but businesses need to maintain a standard...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

9YaTaH wrote:
I feel your pain...I recently took a servo (booster) to two well respected shops only to be bitterly disappointed...reputations are fine, but businesses need to maintain a standard...

So you deal on reputation too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Goldbrocade_62 wrote:
So you deal on reputation too

Ignoring the possible dig/personal attack...

Yes (in part), like any other "savvy" consumer (more like lamb to the slaughter in some cases), I ask around and take recommendations from people I respect (as opposed to some of the fake testimonials online) then draw a line of best fit...choose a business or individual...then cross fingers and hope for the best :!:

Having said that, reputations are easily destroyed when the business or individual changes personnel, drops the ball or fails to deliver.

Problems can happen to the best of them but the good ones stick with it, sometimes rectifying the problem without additional payment "under warranty" whilst others do the blame game tap dance and try anything to get rid of you and "your" problem :!:

Ya Dig :?: :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 am 
998cc
998cc

Have you tried it with the booster out of circuit, to prove the problem is in the booster? Just run a brake line from the master cylinder to the inlet to the T on the bulkhead. The brakes should work well, just a little more foot pressure on the pedal.

I doubt removing the spacer under the MC will make any difference. In my opinion the main function of this is to adjust the pedal height and stop the master cylinder rod bottoming out inside the bulk head where you fit the clevis pin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

p7676 wrote:
Hello All
Still got problems with the brakes everything is new or reconditioned. When you start the car the pedal is hard on, not me the pedal. I took the booster back and they said the piston in the booster was sticking they fixed it ,so I refitted the booster again same problem. I contacted them again and they said there was probably a line pressure valve in the master cylinder which should not be there .They send the master cylinder away to get reconditioned so they will fix it .I just have to take it out. FYI if you get the same problem ,Lucky the car is all sprayed with 2 pack no damage from brake fluid on firewall. Question my car has a spacer under the master cylinder about 1.6mm thick is that normal.
Allen

I had a simular problem with brakes staying on and also fitted the spacer. Removed the spacer and problem went away. I just use a thin paper gasket these days. Cooper s master cylinder, vh44 brake booster, single circuit with 7.5 inch calipers is my set up

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:25 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Out of curiosity if it is on one wheel it is like a flexible brake hose fault

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

This Service Liaison Summary dated Aug 1969 mentions brake master cylinder spacers but doesn't seem to be applicable to your situation.

Attachment:
SLS 177 Aug 1969 brake mc spacer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I am assuming you bled the brakes ok, or there would be no pedal at all. Starting the car will have NO impact on the master cylinder, only the vacuum on the booster. Disconnect the vacuum hose on the booster...... if no problems then it is your booster. Don't assume these morons know how to put it together. Probably made the same mistake the second time around

1962 Mini Speed sports sedan
1968-71 ex-Peter Manton Shell car

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:48 am 
998cc
998cc

low n blown wrote:
I am assuming you bled the brakes ok, or there would be no pedal at all. Starting the car will have NO impact on the master cylinder, only the vacuum on the booster. Disconnect the vacuum hose on the booster...... if no problems then it is your booster. Don't assume these morons know how to put it together. Probably made the same mistake the second time around

Agree, booster only reduces pedal effort. Start off with basics, bleed brakes and make sure rears are adjusted and assembled correctly.

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 am 
1098cc
1098cc

an easy way to test if the booster is the issue is to start the car allow potential to pressurise the vacuum unit of the brake booster. if the pedal is hard then turn off car. then pull off the booster vacuum hose. if the brakes release then it's a booster problem. a bad diaphragm in the vac unit will hold pressure and not release. you need to make sure who is repairing it has a test jig to test operation. The company who i finally sent mine too to repair found the diaphragm was a couple mill thicker. my car also locked brakes. first problem. 2nd problem was staying on partially removed gasket under master cylinder no more problems.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:25 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

kiwiinwgtn wrote:
an easy way to test if the booster is the issue is to start the car allow potential to pressurise the vacuum unit of the brake booster. if the pedal is hard then turn off car. then pull off the booster vacuum hose. if the brakes release then it's a booster problem. a bad diaphragm in the vac unit will hold pressure and not release. you need to make sure who is repairing it has a test jig to test operation. The company who i finally sent mine too to repair found the diaphragm was a couple mill thicker. my car also locked brakes. first problem. 2nd problem was staying on partially removed gasket under master cylinder no more problems.

Good advice Kiwi...the other thing to look for with Servo's/Boosters is fluid pooling in the front cavity behind the Vac pipe entry (pinhole or tear in the diaphragm) and white exhaust smoke when the fluid is injected into the inlet manifold...

Last edited by 9YaTaH on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

At the risk of getting yelled at, has it been hooked up the correct way, from master cylinder to back of booster cylinder body, out the front to wheel cylinders. Many many moons ago I applied for leading hands job at one of Better Brakes, was knocked back, was given to 'much more experienced person' was told to assist him on large lorry, watched as he hooked the booster up wrong way and got the result similar to you are talking about. When asked why I did not say anything, told them 'he was much more experienced'. Did not go down well, left shortly after of my own accord.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Last edited by 2lateagain on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

This link may be of interest, care of the UK mk1 forum.
Covers the Lockheed booster as fitted to Mk1's, but the principles and fault finding would be similar for the PBR VH44 as fitted to the later Mk2's.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... _servo.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

IndigoBlueCooperS wrote:
This link may be of interest, care of the UK mk1 forum.
Covers the Lockheed booster as fitted to Mk1's, but the principles and fault finding would be similar for the PBR VH44 as fitted to the later Mk2's.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... _servo.pdf
if you go to the how to section I posted a similar thing a while back on vh44 boosters.