Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:29 pm 
998cc
998cc

" :lol: fark, glad you survived that one :shock: "

I think I got away with it because I was so scared sh%tless I didn't panic :lol:

Re adjustment,

I've ended up adjusting it so that the bonnet needs quite firm pressure to latch it and a fair bit of effort is needed to operate the release mechanism. The result is the bonnet is firmly shut (no rattle at all) but then again the spring is tightly compressed so it does "bounce" open when released. I really don't know if this is correct. One thing I do know, with airflow at speed, the safety lever on the RHS does nothing if the bonnet does unlatch..

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I wonder if fitting a stronger spring to the safety catch would be a worthwhile change?

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm 
998cc
998cc

deluxe67 wrote:

I think I got away with it because I was so scared sh%tless I didn't panic :lol:

Re adjustment,

I've ended up adjusting it so that the bonnet needs quite firm pressure to latch it and a fair bit of effort is needed to operate the release mechanism. The result is the bonnet is firmly shut (no rattle at all) but then again the spring is tightly compressed so it does "bounce" open when released. I really don't know if this is correct. One thing I do know, with airflow at speed, the safety lever on the RHS does nothing if the bonnet does unlatch..

Something wrong with your safety latch. Some people bend them back so they don’t scratch the bonnet slam panel when you shut the lid....

The only way you ( as in what I’ve found) can adjust the safety catch is to bend the mount where it attaches to the bonnet. You shouldn’t be able to open the bonnet without sticking your finger in the push it out of the way. There’s way enough spring pressure to keep the hook under the slam panel when it’s adjusted properly.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 am 
1360cc
1360cc

deluxe67 wrote:
The result is the bonnet is firmly shut (no rattle at all) but then again the spring is tightly compressed so it does "bounce" open when released. I really don't know if this is correct. One thing I do know, with airflow at speed, the safety lever on the RHS does nothing if the bonnet does unlatch..

The usually accepted way of opening a bonnet is to press the bonnet down, just above the badge, with the left hand and release the latch with your right...keep left hand on bonnet and gently allow it to pop up then gently push the secondary latch in before raising the bonnet.

Does your safety latch have a return spring on it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 am 
Yay For Hay!

1071 S wrote:
deluxe67 wrote:

Re adjustment,

Something wrong with your safety latch. Some people bend them back so they don’t scratch the bonnet slam panel when you shut the lid....

The only way you ( as in what I’ve found) can adjust the safety catch is to bend the mount where it attaches to the bonnet. You shouldn’t be able to open the bonnet without sticking your finger in the push it out of the way. There’s way enough spring pressure to keep the hook under the slam panel when it’s adjusted properly.

Cheers, Ian

I think he meant that when you're passing a truck at 140kph, if the bonnet pops up onto the safety catch then the safety catch isn't good enough to keep the bonnet from flying open... it might have even ripped the spot welds off the bonnet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

"I think he meant that when you're passing a truck at 140kph, if the bonnet pops up onto the safety catch then the safety catch isn't good enough to keep the bonnet from flying open... it might have even ripped the spot welds off the bonnet"

Exactly.
If you are at speed or a on a bumpy road, the safety latch will not hold the bonnet. Airflow and bonnet movement will overcome the latch..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:58 am 
998cc
998cc

"Exactly.
If you are at speed or a on a bumpy road, the safety latch will not hold the bonnet. Airflow and bonnet movement will overcome the latch...."

C$%p or, perhaps more politely, a very inaccurate statement.

While 50 years of neglect, collision damage, maladjustment ignorance can render the safety latch ineffective it will work perfectly if set up as God and Issi intended (a simple process). Provided the mount hasn't rusted, the spring is still effective (i.e. not seized solid so working as intended and pushing the stem of the latch onto the slam panel) then the hook in the end of the latch will not allow it to let go....

Collision damage may force it out of proper alignment (which is why race cars have straps) but wind or road surface irregularities won't.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Unless you are doing a concourse resto, I think they are a worthwhile addition. A mate of mine was chasing me down the Palmwoods range (Qld Sunshine coast hinterland) over 40 years ago in our Mk2 S's - he hit a pothole/bump and was driving blind with his bonnet obliterating his view. The catch didn't hold. Very scary for him on a twisty mountain road - managed to pull it up without hitting anything or going over the edge...... He fitted bonnet straps after that.
When I get to painting my current car, I wont be fitting them to the original bonnet. I will be running a louvered bonnet which I had on my original car and it has the holes already drilled for them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

"C$%p or, perhaps more politely, a very inaccurate statement."

Nice, whatever. You obviously know everything...