Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Scuttle to guard gap
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've searched and read so my different opinions on this...
Can anyone tell me with certainty if an Australian delivered 66 mini would have had some type of sealer closing this gap, or if it was always left open?

I've read conflicting info on all different model years, probably from different work markets and would love to know the facts :)
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Scuttle to guard gap
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 pm 
998cc
998cc

There was no sealer in the gap, guard to windscreen panel. I have fitted the guards and I fill the gap with Sikaflex ,push down with a thin business card,. wipe off excess with grease and wax remover .It needs to be sealed and look like original fit. The heritage guards are not easy to fit. rework of panel is required. Spot weld with an inverter spot welder and spray pre welded areas with weld through primer ,aerosol pack. Usually all the minis have surface rust under the guard where it is spot welded to the inner guard.
weld through primer is copper or zinc I prefer zinc as it seems to seal the weld better.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thank you. I understand using Sikaflex would be better,but I want it to be as per original.
I've managed to make the Heritage guards fit well enough to pull it off :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I think from the factory there was a gap. It was usually large enough for water to just wash through and for dirt not to accumulate. My car still has gaps.

Personally I think It can look neater than some peoples attempts to fill it in. It kind of blends in with the bonnet gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk