Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks everyone for your comments. All informative and good to see some healthy debate, I am well aware of the escalating costs especially if you are not able or willing to roll up your sleeves and get dirty yourself. A reasonable Mini that needs work is getting hard to find unfortunately. They either have every part missing and you are going to spend a million hours and probably dollars acquiring each part needed for the build, or they are asking Gold money for something in boxes that you hope and assume all the parts are there. I liked the look of this one as it is original, it is all there even if a lot would need replacing and I am keen to do something with my boy as I think a lot of Dads these days are loosing the fight to the iPads and the skills we learnt from our Fathers is going to be lost in a generation if it is not already in a lot of cases. I will keep on the search and I am sure I will either find something I can work on or I will bite the bullet and pony up for one already completed and then work with my boy to maintain and keep it on the road. If anyone comes across something that fits the bill and you are not interested in it for yourself please PM me. I am looking for a Morris, I have owned a Leyland in the past but there is something about the Morris front that really appeals to me. Thanks again everyone and hopefully soon I will be able to post either a project car or a driver for you all to admire.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Some times in life it is disappointing when things don't work out the way we wanted. But better things can present themselves when least expected.
Just this afternoon I saw an older gentleman who had stopped his Lexus SUV by the side of the road to inspect a newer model Jaguar offered 'for sale'.
So, some people don't know when they are better off.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
Some times in life it is disappointing when things don't work out the way we wanted. But better things can present themselves when least expected.
Just this afternoon I saw an older gentleman who had stopped his Lexus SUV by the side of the road to inspect a newer model Jaguar offered 'for sale'.
So, some people don't know when they are better off.

Yes...now if it had been a MKI or II or even better a Daimler 250 (No, not the Dart!)...he could have lived the dream :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am 
998cc
998cc

Good to see Snoop listened to my advice, and is looing for something better as he said a million hours and a million dollars, The reality is do your sums and look at your skills.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Snoop78 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. All informative and good to see some healthy debate, I am well aware of the escalating costs especially if you are not able or willing to roll up your sleeves and get dirty yourself. A reasonable Mini that needs work is getting hard to find unfortunately. They either have every part missing and you are going to spend a million hours and probably dollars acquiring each part needed for the build, or they are asking Gold money for something in boxes that you hope and assume all the parts are there. I liked the look of this one as it is original, it is all there even if a lot would need replacing and I am keen to do something with my boy as I think a lot of Dads these days are loosing the fight to the iPads and the skills we learnt from our Fathers is going to be lost in a generation if it is not already in a lot of cases. I will keep on the search and I am sure I will either find something I can work on or I will bite the bullet and pony up for one already completed and then work with my boy to maintain and keep it on the road. If anyone comes across something that fits the bill and you are not interested in it for yourself please PM me. I am looking for a Morris, I have owned a Leyland in the past but there is something about the Morris front that really appeals to me. Thanks again everyone and hopefully soon I will be able to post either a project car or a driver for you all to admire.

Snoop (and others) just keep in mind that owning a small piece (10 foot and a 1/4"long) of Automotive history can be very rewarding...kids can really like "playing" or tinkering with an older vehicle and learn so much about how things work at the same time...

There are zillions of cars sitting in backyards and sheds in various states of undress...

One thing I do know from experience is that kids grow up fast...so think about getting hold of something you all can enjoy. Plenty of "unfinished projects" change hands all the time after providing x amount of enjoyment and skinned knuckles to the owners and their family's...food for thought? :D

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

They only give enjoyment when they are complete. No task is done until it is complete. The kids will say to their father WHY didn't you finish the car ,he will answer it was only a piece of crap anyhow. That's why you don't start otherwise you are teaching your kids that you don't have to complete a project. Start when you have the sills that you can pass on.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

p7676 wrote:
They only give enjoyment when they are complete. No task is done until it is complete.

I understand and respect your point of view, which may be the same as other Mini restorers, but I have to say I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment out of working on my car. In fact it may be more enjoyable to me than when I eventually (hopefully) get to drive it.

Each to their own on what they find enjoyable around old cars. :wink:

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

p7676 wrote:
They only give enjoyment when they are complete. No task is done until it is complete. The kids will say to their father WHY didn't you finish the car ,he will answer it was only a piece of crap anyhow. That's why you don't start otherwise you are teaching your kids that you don't have to complete a project. Start when you have the sills that you can pass on.

What absolute rubbish...and I know that from personal experience...and from first hand experience with friends, friends of friends etc...

[PS I never had any sills to pass on anyway! :lol:]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

What people forget is when restoring a car you are dealing with safety issues. Everyone has a go at fixing brakes most of them do not know the basics of brake restoration. Also other mechanical repairs correct torque on nuts. etc etc Correct rust repairs ,that is why the auto industry is licensed ,to stop cars being rebuilt by unqualified people. I have built and repaired a lot of cars. I have also had to fix a lot of shonky repairs done by unqualified people, Also the government MVRIC had to bring in a rule that you cannot repair a write off because the people repairing them were making them unsafe. I had a look at a cs recently which had a wheel alignment problem and no one knew how to fix it ,I checked, it the front subframe was twisted which means one side was higher than the other. You can pump the suspension up one side to make it look better but does not fix the problem .The subframe is easy to fix in the car do you know how to do it with plus or minus 1mm tolerance ?? If safety is not a concern think of the repercussions You must now your skill levels and what you can do safely otherwise it is an abrogation of your responsibility to the public.
Allen

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

9YaTaH wrote:
p7676 wrote:

What absolute rubbish...and I know that from personal experience...and from first hand experience with friends, friends of friends etc...

[PS I never had any sills to pass on anyway! :lol:]

While I feel 9YaTaH's wording of his comments is being a little harsh to p7676, I think we all have different reasons for beginning a project on such a scale. Besides, no car task is ever 'completed'.
It isn't a hobby/interest only for skilled tradespeople. Some realise the limits of their skills and give up or pay for work they cannot do; some persevere and learn or teach themselves some of those skills.
I don't have a background in any automotive trade but have learnt enough skills to rebuild and maintain my minis. The only real skill I think I've passed on to my sons it to have a go and see what you can manage.
Having now read Allen's reply, I have no argument about safety issues. They are almost always emphasised here.
I felt Allen's earlier comment was being a bit condescending to someone who wanted to "have a go".

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thanks Bill, good comments , you know your skill level and I know from your comments on the forum that you have good skills .
I used to check body repairs for the RTA in the eighties I have seen rust repairs that have a few tacks to hold them with filler over the top. Subframes which are 50mm short because the damage has not been repaired correctly pop rivetted floor panels doors that will never fit. severe underframe damage ,never repaired correctly etc these issues make a car unsafe to drive. The average joe buys these cars and down the track they cannot be registered. Anyhow use common sense when restoring your vehicle safety of minis and other old cars is paramount as newer cars have better brakes and various other safety features. I believe a task can be completed to a standard.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am 
1360cc
1360cc

p7676 wrote:
What people forget is when restoring a car you are dealing with safety issues. Everyone has a go at fixing brakes most of them do not know the basics of brake restoration. Also other mechanical repairs correct torque on nuts. etc etc Correct rust repairs ,that is why the auto industry is licensed ,to stop cars being rebuilt by unqualified people. I have built and repaired a lot of cars. I have also had to fix a lot of shonky repairs done by unqualified people, Also the government MVRIC had to bring in a rule that you cannot repair a write off because the people repairing them were making them unsafe. I had a look at a cs recently which had a wheel alignment problem and no one knew how to fix it ,I checked, it the front subframe was twisted which means one side was higher than the other. You can pump the suspension up one side to make it look better but does not fix the problem .The subframe is easy to fix in the car do you know how to do it with plus or minus 1mm tolerance ?? If safety is not a concern think of the repercussions You must now your skill levels and what you can do safely otherwise it is an abrogation of your responsibility to the public.
Allen

[2nd try - first one went missing!]

Allen,

Same can be said for "qualified" repairers...I have a list as long as your arm of faults being introduced into vehicles that were otherwise roadworthy. Examples: Correct Torque...stripped wheel studs because the tyre changing gorilla left the rattle gun on a 4WD high torque setting. A carburettor that fell off its mount and splashed fuel over a hot engine, an oil filter left hanging by a thread and covering an engine with oil (could have cooked the engine) etc etc...

We get your concerns...but for a lot of us here, it isn't our first time round the block...can I suggest you instead try and inject some specific practical safety related advice into this forum rather than spread fear and cause people unnecessary concern about their perceived mechanical shortcomings?

There is currently a discussion about steering racks...a dangerous Achilles heel of any Mini if not properly sorted...