Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, can anyone tell me if, when you install an electric fan, do you disconnect the by-pass hose to the head and remove the thermostat? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

No

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 am 
1098cc
1098cc

If you install an electric fan the rest of the cooling system stays exactly the same, except you remove the old fan of course. If you're not removing the old fan I don't know why you'd fit the new one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Irish Yobbo wrote:
If you install an electric fan the rest of the cooling system stays exactly the same, except you remove the old fan of course. If you're not removing the old fan I don't know why you'd fit the new one.

Late model (1990's) Rover Carby and SPI Mini's came from the factory with both the mechanical and electric fans.

Kind of makes you proud to be an AUSSIE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:05 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

EST-071 wrote:
Irish Yobbo wrote:

Late model (1990's) Rover Carby and SPI Mini's came from the factory with both the mechanical and electric fans.

That's interesting to know. Why did they do that? The rationale behind an electric fan is that they can work at any engine speed - and they're typically needed when stationary and *not* when driving at speed. So mechanical fans are not optimal, since they take a lot of engine power away at high speed, which is when they're not needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Irish Yobbo wrote:

I always thought the original fan remained in place so the electric fan only acted as a booster rather than a complete replacement. Instead of the electric motor running continuously it only comes on when the temperature reaches a certain level, perhaps in stop-start traffic or on a very hot day when the standard set-up can't cope. A well-maintained standard cooling arrangement should usually be adequate in most conditions.

Happy to be corrected.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

winabbey wrote:
I always thought the original fan remained in place so the electric fan only acted as a booster rather than a complete replacement.

That must be the case. Most modern cars don't have mechanical fans because they are unnecessary - I presumed minis would be the same. When driving most cars do not need a fan, the movement of the air through the radiator while driving is enough. Perhaps it's related to the fact that the mini radiator is sideways?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:30 pm 
998cc
998cc

In my experience :( (dropped a rag into engine bay that took all the blades off the fan :oops: )....

Even on a coolish day, without a fan you will only get about 15km before the engine starts to overheat... and that's cruising at a fairly steady 80 kph - which are probably the most benign conditions the engine will run under... Maybe should have tried at 100 but I think the conditions would be worse...

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day.
My 1989 JDM Mayfair has both the radiator and a thermo fan fitted. I have had it wired to a dash switch and I use it whilst in stop start and on hot days travelling below 60kph. My engine bay is busy and it helps to keep it cool in low airflow situations, in addition to the radiator.

Apparently the thermo fan (in the passenger front wheel well) is common in Japanes minis.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Irish Yobbo wrote:
That must be the case. Most modern cars don't have mechanical fans because they are unnecessary - I presumed minis would be the same. When driving most cars do not need a fan, the movement of the air through the radiator while driving is enough. Perhaps it's related to the fact that the mini radiator is sideways?

I think radiator location is a major part of it.
With a frontal radiator, it sees 100% (for simplicity sake) of the airflow through the grill, after which the air exits below the engine, and through both wheel wells (let's say 1/3 each).
Mounting the radiator in the wheel wheel means it only gets 1/3 of the airflow coming through the grill.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:24 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

The reason SPI minis have both fans is because the electric one is Lucas. Rover knew it would most likely stop working so left the mechanical one there just incase.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:49 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I have a LED light which switches on with my fan on my Cg13de mini with no mechanical fan, the radiator is a mini item in the standard position and the fan doesn't run all that much and generally for a short time. Stop /start traffic or when I'm pushing it along generally.