Ausmini
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cobra seat internals
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The topic of aftermarket seats has appeared sometimes.
I have been using a pair of Cobra seats for several years; over time the cushion has slowly collapsed. I have removed the base piece which has been crumbling and needs to be repadded with new foam.
The main seat construction is round and square tube; the base is a rubber diaphragm, like most standard mini seats, but only attached at the sides and not at the back where the main weight load "sits".
At the back, there is only a high tensile rod to take the occupant's weight. See photo 1.
Result is the moulded foam cushion is cut open where it rests on the thin rod and has little support. See photo 2.

I am going to replace the foam but without more support, it will be ripped also.

I'm not really asking for advice but thought others might be interested in how the seat is constructed.
Starting to think that modifying original seats might be the better way to go in the long run.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Cobra seat internals
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am 
religious status
religious status

Better also check the foam in the rest of the seat, mine turned to yellow powder and poured out the bottom.
I got my local Auto and marine trimmer to redo them both using foam blocks.

Post subject: Re: Cobra seat internals
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

drmini in aust wrote:
Better also check the foam in the rest of the seat, mine turned to yellow powder and poured out the bottom.
I got my local Auto and marine trimmer to redo them both using foam blocks.

I remember your experiences with these. I am tempted to put a piece of plywood across the frame to support the new foam.
Haven't looked at the back part yet.