Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mini Cooper Interior
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

I am trying to locate a supply of suitable material to retrim the interior on my 997 Cooper, 1963 model. I believe the colour needed is Tartan Red but this may not be correct,
Has anyone else found a suitable supply of a red material for the vintage of Mini?

1965 Morris 850
1968 Morris Cooper S

Post subject: Re: Mini Cooper Interior
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

There is 2 different types of vinyl used, door trims dash and back of the front front seats it looks like it has been sandblast texture a cheaper vinyl inthe day and the front of the seats where you sit with the pleats is a smooth grain nicer looking vinyl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:40 pm 
998cc
998cc

Maybe Bunnings could match the colour and you could paint some white canvas ? just a thought

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

John Sneddon wrote:
I am trying to locate a supply of suitable material to retrim the interior on my 997 Cooper, 1963 model. I believe the colour needed is Tartan Red but this may not be correct,
Has anyone else found a suitable supply of a red material for the vintage of Mini?

Your local motor trimmer should be able to show you what is currently available from the main wholesalers. There is colour and there is grain (or pattern, if you prefer), both need to be right.
I couldn't get a right match for the green I wanted so I selected the faintest pattern, and the local vinyl colourer matched the colour and re-coloured the vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

DavidE wrote:
John Sneddon wrote:

Your local motor trimmer should be able to show you what is currently available from the main wholesalers. There is colour and there is grain (or pattern, if you prefer), both need to be right.
I couldn't get a right match for the green I wanted so I selected the faintest pattern, and the local vinyl colourer matched the colour and re-coloured the vinyl.

How did you go with grain though?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 pm 
998cc
998cc

Bubbacluby wrote:
DavidE wrote:
John Sneddon wrote:

How did you go with grain though?

The faint pattern used on pieces where new vinyl was required are not able to be clearly "eyeballed" and no-one has noticed the replacement pieces. It is a better solution than trying to use a more distinct pattern which would be all too obvious.