Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fuel pump spacing
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

The mechanical fuel pump on my 1098 Van had been playing up and finally needed to be replaced. I purchased a new aftermarket fuel pump and spacer and after a few hours of swearing I was able to get the old one off.

The new spacer was twice as thick as the current one so I looked on the forum and the advice seemed to be make sure the spacer size stays the same. I measured the reach of the lift arm on the new and old pumps and they were identical so ground down the new spacer leaving it slightly thicker than the old one which wasn’t going to suit the new pump as shown.

I put the new pump on cranked it over and was delighted when it started as the pump must have been working. Soon after I had fuel streaming from the overflow in the float bowl, I checked the float and needle and all looks ok plus I had never had a leaking issue prior.

I think I should have left the spacer much thicker as the old spacer may have been thinned down to pump more fuel with an old dodgy pump?? Now I think the new pump if pumping too much.

Am I best to get a new spacer and start again? Or put a fuel flow regulator in the line, the problem I see is too much pressure on the hoses and pump as fuel was pouring out at idle so under load it would be worse.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Fuel pump spacing
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Originally there were 2 types of fuel pumps.
Early ones had a short pump arm which used a thin spacer.
Late ones had a long pump arm with a thick spacer.

You can only purchase the later pump now. What ever car u are fitting it to you must fit the thick spacer
otherwise the fuel pump lobe on the cam will break the arm and it will fall into the gearbox.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 am 
848cc
848cc

Thank-you, much appreciated. A fun job for the weekend...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am 
848cc
848cc

I got the new spacer and fitted it without thinning it down, now I am back to square one and it's not pumping enough fuel to run.

I didn't get a chance to pull the hose off and see if anything at all was coming through but once the fuel in the bowl was gone it stopped:(

I didn't get a chance to do some proper checks so will on the weekend to see if any fuel is coming through, if it isn't should I thin the spacer a few mm and test?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks