Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: VIN Numbers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

In my particular case the car was being reregistered in NSW from SA. The SA paperwork did not state any chassis no. Only engine number.

The blue slip inspector explained that only the number actually stamped in the car body could be used for chassis no on rego. Fair enough, I had no problem with that.

On my car (1968 Mk 1 Cooper S) the Car No is stamped on the firewall and I had been told by numerous people this is the correct number to use for rego.

The inspector said he wanted me to scrape away the paint on my shroud to look for numbers there. He said he had seen other minis with numbers there. I explained on this early model of mini that is not the correct location.

Ok he said in a case like this the correct step is to ring the RMS, there is a special Dept that deals with this, so he tells them the year and model and they informed him the location of the correct number to use. At that time they would give a grid reference eg G7 and the blue slipper uses a diagram of a generic engine bay with a grid to show location of correct number to use.

The Rms supposedly looked it up and gave a reference for the rad shroud.

I was not happy about having to scape paint of my shroud to expose what I knew was the wrong number when the correct number was right there on the firewall ...clearly visible!!!

Fortunately that night someone contacted me privately, I presume they had worked at the RTA at some stage, they said they DO have the right info and that they have made an error. They suggested ringing them and asking very politely for them to please recheck.

I rang them and initially I got the usual “its a mini, it’s on the radiator” but then they took another look, maybe they actually looked it up properly this time, and guess what? A new grid reference indicating the firewall.

They were most apologetic.

My rego papers simply state the VIN as 4801.

Apparently there is a boat trailer and an old Valiant also with VIN 4801 but they were OK with that because obviously the other details don’t match.

At the end of the day I just wanted the correct details on the paperwork.

At the time I was also concerned that my car had been in a major accident in the past and I was worried that the rad shroud was not the original (it looked filled) the last thing I wanted to do was use some completely wrong numbers from some other car on the rego papers that could open a huge can of worms!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: VIN Numbers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:51 am 
1360cc
1360cc

:roll:
phillb wrote:
Apparently there is a boat trailer and an old Valiant also with VIN 4801 but they were OK with that because obviously the other details don’t match.

Its a shambles, I too had Mini K that came up as a boat trailer in QLD! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:19 am 
1275cc
1275cc

9YaTaH wrote:
:roll:
phillb wrote:

I don’t think that’s so much a problem because there are other details to cross check such as engine number and year.

I wish they would record the model fully though. Mine just says make - MORRIS model - MINI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 am 
1275cc
1275cc

When I was trying to get my mini registered last year using the correct numbers, with advice from phillb and others on here, I received a visit one morning from an RMS Vehicle Identification Examiner, who looked at all the numbers, took photos and sighted old registration papers from the 1980s. At first he went to the radiator cowl. Eventually we got into a conversation and I showed him a copy of Stephen Dalton's articles on identifying minis and why the radiator cowl was not the car number. He asked for a copy for his reference.
He went on to tell me that his unit once had 13 inspectors across NSW, now down to 9 and 3 more, including him, retiring by early 2019. With changes in leadership in the unit, they never had a full detailed database of car makes and models and identity features. This inspector took it upon himself to keep his own database on Fords mainly (personal interest- a lot of dodgy GTs apparently) and would visit a car showroom when a new model was released to keep his records up to date.

You have to feel sorry for those people who try to do a good job; maybe those jobs don't return the government a big enough "efficiency bonus".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Bill B wrote:
When I was trying to get my mini registered last year using the correct numbers, with advice from phillb and others on here, I received a visit one morning from an RMS Vehicle Identification Examiner, who looked at all the numbers, took photos and sighted old registration papers from the 1980s. At first he went to the radiator cowl. Eventually we got into a conversation and I showed him a copy of Stephen Dalton's articles on identifying minis and why the radiator cowl was not the car number. He asked for a copy for his reference.
He went on to tell me that his unit once had 13 inspectors across NSW, now down to 9 and 3 more, including him, retiring by early 2019. With changes in leadership in the unit, they never had a full detailed database of car makes and models and identity features. This inspector took it upon himself to keep his own database on Fords mainly (personal interest- a lot of dodgy GTs apparently) and would visit a car showroom when a new model was released to keep his records up to date.

You have to feel sorry for those people who try to do a good job; maybe those jobs don't return the government a big enough "efficiency bonus".

I dug back thru my old messages in Ausmini and found I had saved this message from a member who obviously had inside info on the inner workings of the RTA. I won’t identify him and I have removed the Phone number.

This was in 2009......

Quote:

Hi Phill

NSW blue slip guys have vehicle specs for vehicles manufactured after 1972 which give them all the details they need. To find the location of the engine or chassis number they look at a spec sheet for that make and model and it gives the guy a grid reference just like looking for a street in a street directory really.

Having said that, if the vehicle is manufactured prior to 1972 as yours is and the blue slip guy cant locate or doesn't know where the number is located he has the resources of the RTA Technical Enquiries section (and no i don't work there) at his disposal on 1300XXXXXXX where they have the specs for vehicles manufactured prior to 1972 and they can tell him that the chassis number location for a Mk 1 cooper S is on his I.D reference chart number 9 at reference point H-12 remember just like a street directory (BTW chart 9, ref H-12 is at the right side firewall near the I.D plate)

Maybe you could politely ask him to check with RTA on the above number as it is import to keep the original numbers.

If you send me your e-mail i can scan a copy of I.D chart 9 for you.

i'm sure i have a pic of my rad cowling, i'll keep looking

hope this helps

Message 2

Quote:
Hi Phill
the location you mentioned 8n23 is the rad cowling and is the location listed for the Mk 2. make sure you tell them it is a Mk 1 with the prefix YKG2S2 and not prefix ending with 2S4 thats the Mk2. If the car still has the I.D plate fitted it will have the prefix ending in 2S2 to also confirm its a Mk1.

best of luck let me know what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I think we are in an age where governments are creating regulations that result in "revenue capture" (income stream for them) but won't spend money to enforce their own regulations (no income stream for them): Banking Royal Commission, building standards codes, water buy-back schemes, private certificate 3 training providers, land titles records, number plate providers, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 am 
1360cc
1360cc

phillb wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

I don’t think that’s so much a problem because there are other details to cross check such as engine number and year.

I wish they would record the model fully though. Mine just says make - MORRIS model - MINI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The boat trailer was the ONLY thing they found out of all the numbers I threw at them! It WAS a problem!! :lol: