Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Filling Up with Fuel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi All,

This may be a silly question but are there any tips/tricks to filling the fuel tank??

I have a lot of trouble with the auto-cutoff fuel pumps and can only manage to squeeze half a tank in when empty (around 5-6L).
Even then it seems to spill out the filler neck and leaks out the littler breather hose on the top of tank into the boot.

Maybe the breather is blocked and an air pocket is stopping the fuel going down? Or maybe I am actually full and the gauge is wrong?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Filling Up with Fuel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am 
Yay For Hay!

I fill up with only an inch or so of the filler nozzle poking into the tank. Fill up fast until it starts to bubble up then slow it down until it's full...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Exactly like 'simon k'- look into the tank and watch for the foam on top of the fuel as it fills. When you can see the foam getting close to the neck, slow down. When full, you can see the petrol sitting at the neck of the tank.
There isn't much likelihood of an air pocket since the neck is only about 100mm long and the pump nozzle is sitting in the tank, although some auto-stop pumps are very sensitive to back pressure.
The little breather vent on top of the tank should have a plastic tube that goes through the boot floor and vents under the car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Next time u read empty I would look down in the tank, out in daylight or with a torch you can usually see the level, or use a wooden stick. I’m betting your gauge is out and you are not really empty.

I usually have the nozzle only poked halfway in and let it cut out. Unless u are going on a long trip it’s not worth trying to fill to the brim, in my experience it will spill out when u go round a corner or hit bumps even if your cap is a pretty good seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:59 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Try turning the gun on its side, and don't squeeze the handle completely on...then watch as others have said...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 pm 
Yay For Hay!

phillb wrote:
Next time u read empty I would look down in the tank, out in daylight or with a torch you can usually see the level, or use a wooden stick. I’m betting your gauge is out and you are not really empty.

I have a piece of fuel hose in the boot that is my 'accurate' gauge, the one in the speedo cluster is only useful when it's over half full

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I found the best thing I ever fitted was a electronic instrument voltage regulator instead of the old type. Then I made sure the float arm in the tank was adjusted to read right on empty mark when there was only a few litres left.

I do find the last quarter of the tank goes very quickly though because of the shape of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for all the tips. I will check when I next read empty to rule out the gauge being wrong.