Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Hey all, long time lurker.

I'm interested in modern experiences with the replacement of four terminal starter solenoids. I have used my old stock of original solenoids up, and have been using the Lucas branded solenoids to replace these as they fall out of service. I figured being boxed and branded Lucas parts, I might have some good experiences, but I haven't. They fail quite easily.

Is there a deemed "good" supplier of later solenoids, or are we doomed to these poorer quality examples?

Are there any tips for spotting the good from the bad?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:47 am 
religious status
religious status

I once had an Echlin brand one that jammed when hot so no better.
Have you tried stripping an original and turning the plunger 90°? I have done this with other cars.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 am 

No I haven't stripped these ones yet, although the four rivets make it look pretty easy to do. Do the contacts get dirty? Or do they just not seat well?

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:55 pm 
religious status
religious status

Being DC the contacts arc away, on US (for example OMC outboard) solenoids it's the circular copper plunger. The 2 fixed copper lugs usually were OK.
Worth a look. ;)

Last edited by drmini in aust on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Mick

You could buy a new old stock English Lucas solenoid. ( still out there) Drill out the rivets and replace with your Australian cover/dated part number cap. :-) Looks the part and works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 am 
Yay For Hay!

I'm curious how often you have an original solenoid die on you - I can't say I've ever had a failure...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:44 am 
848cc
848cc

How much would a NOS Lucas solenoid cost?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
I'm curious how often you have an original solenoid die on you - I can't say I've ever had a failure...
So was I. Replaced one in a torana once in 10 years..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying on like a pork-chop, I'm having a great time.

If I go very quiet there's a very good chance I broke something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

This is a very timely question from Mick, the solenoid just failed in my Moke. This is the second one that has gone. I replaced the original several years ago with a good Mk1 solenoid (the one with the manual push button on the end) and now it has failed too. I've been having to open the bonnet to press the button for the last few days.

I'd also like to know what the best value option is. The Lucas branded stuff in the green boxes doesn't have the greatest reputation. I know the Mk1 guys are quite critical of the earlier style ones.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm 

simon k wrote:

I just fitted the old ones I had when I needed them on other cars, and didn't leave one over for myself :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Mick wrote:
simon k wrote:

I just fitted the old ones I had when I needed them on other cars, and didn't leave one over for myself :)

ohh, gotcha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

A colleague tells me he sourced a NOS one from these guys.

http://www.oldlucas.com.au

I haven't contacted them yet - still need to prove that my problem is caused by the solenoid.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Mick wrote:
No I haven't stripped these ones yet, although the four rivets make it look pretty easy to do. Do the contacts get dirty? Or do they just not seat well?

It is easy to disassemble. Just be careful when reassembly that you don't crack the black plastic case re-rivoting.

As doc mention, the constant arcing over time tarnishes the copper contacts to the point that they blacken and do not conduct. Nothing a bit of emery/sand paper can't fix.

The other point of failure is the coil that induces a magnetic field to pull the pin up to create contact. I've received a unit where the pin wasn't moving when bench tested.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 am 
1098cc
1098cc

fffffred wrote:
Mick wrote:

It is easy to disassemble. Just be careful when reassembly that you don't crack the black plastic case re-rivoting.

As doc mention, the constant arcing over time tarnishes the copper contacts to the point that they blacken and do not conduct. Nothing a bit of emery/sand paper can't fix.

The other point of failure is the coil that induces a magnetic field to pull the pin up to create contact. I've received a unit where the pin wasn't moving when bench tested.

1. Is there soldering involved?
2. Can it be reassembled using nuts and bolts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm 

I fitted a new one tonight, but it didn't take more than a second to find the problem on the old! They're not especially water resistant ...