Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: selling a Mini
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

Is there any consensus/ advice on the best way to sell a Mk 1 car in decent shape? My car has been on Carsales for a while now but I'm getting nowhere. I think the car is fairly priced and I'm willing to haggle. It's a heartbreaking time for me because it will be the first time since 1982 I'll be Mini-less :cry: I'm moving overseas to live for a while and I simply have no option but to sell it. This is the car I took touring to East Timor/ Indonesia a few years ago. I'll put an ad in the forum for sale section and would appreciate your thoughts/ ideas in the meantime :(

Thanks

Michael

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

Post subject: Re: selling a Mini
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:37 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

There is no right answer, if you have to leave and its still not sold think about giving it to a friend to sell it for a cut...

Its a market...either the buyers are around or they are not...despite how hard some "entrepreneurs" work to whip up interest!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:25 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I accept that I might offend you or get shot down for this, please remember it's just an opinion... I'm sorry if I offend, it's not intentional.

I think $24k as a starting price is about $10k too much - I just don't think the value of a modified mini is that high unless it's really exceptional, or you're lucky and that one buyer who wants exactly what you have happens to stumble over it.

What you have there is a really nice mini, but it's nothing special - it's not highly original and it's not a special model. There is a market for those, but your car is in the market where an average Jane/Joe who "just wants any old mini" is shopping. They'd see $24k and say "nah, minis aren't worth that much" and look at something else, or say "I can get a Cooper S for not much more than that" (and yes, they're forgetting that the Cooper S will be in rough condition)

It'd almost be worth closer to your $24k if it actually was badged and marketed as a Cooper S replica - the baby boomer who always wanted a Cooper S but can't afford it in todays market might see that and say "well it's close enough for me"

I also think your pictures probably aren't doing the car justice - the pictures don't make me want to look at the car in detail... the engine bay is dirty (grit along the top of the crossmember, the engine looks OK but the paint is dusty looking), the boot lid looks like it has a dent in it and something wrong with the paint, can't see what sort of wheels it has etc. etc. When selling a car you want nice wide 3/4 views of it, sitting on grass, out in the sun where someone will say "ooh, that looks lovely"

once again, just an opinion, and I'm happy to have it changed... I am a monumental tightar$e, I bought my Cooper S when it was cheap so my opinion might be worth nothing anyway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

some "entrepreneurs" work to whip up interest!

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

simon k wrote:
I accept that I might offend you or get shot down for this, please remember it's just an opinion... I'm sorry if I offend, it's not intentional.

I think $24k as a starting price is about $10k too much - I just don't think the value of a modified mini is that high unless it's really exceptional, or you're lucky and that one buyer who wants exactly what you have happens to stumble over it.

What you have there is a really nice mini, but it's nothing special - it's not highly original and it's not a special model. There is a market for those, but your car is in the market where an average Jane/Joe who "just wants any old mini" is shopping. They'd see $24k and say "nah, minis aren't worth that much" and look at something else, or say "I can get a Cooper S for not much more than that" (and yes, they're forgetting that the Cooper S will be in rough condition)

It'd almost be worth closer to your $24k if it actually was badged and marketed as a Cooper S replica - the baby boomer who always wanted a Cooper S but can't afford it in todays market might see that and say "well it's close enough for me"

I also think your pictures probably aren't doing the car justice - the pictures don't make me want to look at the car in detail... the engine bay is dirty (grit along the top of the crossmember, the engine looks OK but the paint is dusty looking), the boot lid looks like it has a dent in it and something wrong with the paint, can't see what sort of wheels it has etc. etc. When selling a car you want nice wide 3/4 views of it, sitting on grass, out in the sun where someone will say "ooh, that looks lovely"

once again, just an opinion, and I'm happy to have it changed... I am a monumental tightar$e, I bought my Cooper S when it was cheap so my opinion might be worth nothing anyway

Well said, and tactful too. Some really good points that should be considered.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:58 pm 
998cc
998cc

simon k wrote:

I agree with that , having bought and sold many minis over the years , presentation is everything
even if it is an old car in poor condition , a few simple things like clean and tidy interior and exterior
can attract buyers . Many high priced cars advertised for sale don't even have the carpet vacuumed
or the engine cleaned , because people can'be bothered , which leads you to think how the rest of the car has been looked after . Price also has to be right for what you are selling , I know everyone wants top dollar but ask yourself what you would honestly pay for your own car (be honest now) :shock:

1977 Leyland LS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thank you for your comments. My car is certainly not concours, neither is it original, having had all the "good mechanical bits" installed to turn an ordinary car into something a bit special. Fitting Cooper S badges I doubt, nor should it, increase the value of the car. It is however a well sorted high performance Mini that behaves well on the road. It is not a just a car with a lumpy cam and loud exhaust system. A '60's Mini with a sound body and interior is not that easy to find, let alone in excellent mechanical condition with desirable features. If they were we would be shipping them to the UK in droves. They would love it and you would make a killing..

4 synchro close ratio gbox
Cooper S brakes, no booster
Stealth box, as Doc says "goes harder and idles!"
RH tank cos I needed it crossing the Nullarbor etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think Simon makes some good comments here. Whilst it may not be what a seller wants to hear, selling old classic cars is not always easy and you are often waiting a long time for the certain person to see the value in your car. I think a lot pf people when buying a classic car want either something original and / or they want something that looks like new. If you are going to spend $20k+ on a car that you are only going to drive 20 times a year, the last thing you want to do is extra work to make it what you want. Buyers generally want to pay much less than the value of parts and work you have out into the car, especially if they are then going to spend $thousands more after buying it.
Other than on the forum and car sales where else have you advertised ?