Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Stuff on the firewall
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:47 pm 
998cc
998cc

does the hesian stuff with a black outer layer have another purpose other than "noise reduction" and is it required? it is in the engine bay...that stuff is horrible :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

yea mate, it's sole purpose is to retain moisture and rust the hell out of your firewall....oh hang on, that's what it did to mine.... :evil:

I removed mine, and will replace it with something on the INSIDE of the cabin, so it doesn't do the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:32 pm 
998cc
998cc

you can get rid of it....it's just sounds deadener and thats about all it does i tihnk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:40 pm 
998cc
998cc

haha yeah mines got some rust under it too :( does it actually reduce sound at all? it doesnt seem as though it would, its throughout the whole damn car :( i hate it cos it reacts with my hayfever, i bought this tar based body deadener stuff wich is hopefully the right thing.....im going to cover the floor and wheel arches on the inside and also the wheel arches on the outside, and the fire wall, oh and the bottom of the rear seat. what have other people useed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:52 pm 
religious status
religious status

On roundnose Minis it covers up the big hole in the firewall, in front of the speedo. You can fit an early Clubbie cover, or screw a lump of sheet metal on there instead. I did this with some aluminised soundproofing stuff, it helps but the Dellorto carb is still bloody loud.. what? I can't hear you... :lol:
Next time the `dash' trim is out I'll glue some on the inside of firewall as suggested.

Oh the other reason for that `felt' stuff is to fall apart and clog your air filter up.. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I'm pretty sure the original sound deadener on the firewall is quite effective. My car had none, but I put some vinyl on (more to tidy up the engine bay than lessen sound) and even just a single layer of vinyl quietened the interior... unfortunately! I prefer it loud, but the firewall was looking a bit worse for wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:27 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Since my little "oil spill" of a few weeks ago, I've had NO insulation in there at all, nothing on the firewall (mine never had any anyway..68 model) and no dash mats nothing....

Its a little "noisy" in there at the moment.....

Kev, can i use the clubbie cover if i gut a hole and use a grommet for all my Carbon ? (sorry, meant wiring.... )

Cheers
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:20 pm 
religious status
religious status

Yeah just cut a slot in the bottom for the speedo cable, another for the wiring. Bung some speaker wadding (a.k.a. polyester pillow) in there before you close it up.
Mine just has a piece of colorbond shaped to clear the Ramflo filter by a BFH, and held on with 4 self tappers...
Cables are underneath it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

im still wondering what BFH is... i keep on reassuring myself its "Big F*cking Hammer"

i think thats the way i want to keep it. dont spoil it for me
just wait until i talk to the refined Duke of Ermington about his Diamler and try explain how to remove the dent on his door... :shock: