Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I did not ask the question on here to point the bone at anyone. I am probably completely responsible for what’s going on..

I would wear it on the chin regardless. I just think that maybe I am missing something..

I spoke to GR this morning. He gave me about 5 possible causes for the failures.

I will try again. And continue to post my cams across the country to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

What Valve springs are you using?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

GR, Not taking into account price, is the Gulf Western oil better than the Castrol 25W-50?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Some sort of double valve Spring

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

mini-dunger wrote:
Some sort of double valve Spring

How Many Lbs on the seat and at full Lift Mate?
It could be way over sprung, the last time I saw this type of damage this was the case.
I am not saying this is your problem but it is the first thing I would be looking at.
For this to have happened twice in 5000 kms it is pretty obvious you have a serious problem in the valve train somewhere.
Sure the cam and followers are damaged but they are not the cause of the problem. IMHO
Dave

Last edited by sitnlo62 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It may well be. I’m not sure of the specs. But for what it’s worth I might grab a new set. This engines not going to rev to 10k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

mini-dunger wrote:
It may well be. I’m not sure of the specs. But for what it’s worth I might grab a new set. This engines not going to rev to 10k

Before buying a new set you need to know what you are dealing with. Work out your installed height and measure the spring pressure at that height and then work out valve lift. Subtract that figure from installed height That will give you spring length at full lift. Test the spring pressure at that length. Look for Coil Bind at full lift. You need to checg all these things to work out what is going on with your valve train.
I am reluctant to state ideal valve spring pressures on the seat and full lift as this will cause another Debate. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:55 am 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

Hi Dave
Thanks I didn't think to ask him what spring pressure he is running that cam will take 85lb on the seat 250lb over the nose.
One combination I like is the 1100S outer spring and the cooper S inner, this will have around 100lb on the seat which is fine and around 250 lb over the nose set up at around 1.420 in stalled height.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 am 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

Hi Cakey
I'm not going to get into an argument over which oil is the best, having been through the factory and seeing how they blend their oils and the additive package they use and the R and D they do with their oils is very impressive.
The oil in black pack is excellent, run that in group N race cars 20w 50. I run the diesel oil at morgan park 15/40 it has a lot of the good stuff in it as it is made for the old diesel engines with roller cams (GM;S Perkins Cummings etc)
As I said we did a lot of testing on the dyno with this oil in the Minis BDA Fords 9000RPM rotary Mazda 9500 RPM.
The thing I like about this it holds it's oil pressure when hot a lot of the other oils I have used drop right off when hot.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 am 
1275cc
1275cc

In relation to valve springs.

I would have thought that any spring set available specificially for a mini with a flat tappet cam would be suitable. Maybe less than ideal in some aspects but certainly not to the point of wiping out cams and lifters?. I don’t have any gear to measure seat pressure so I will just replace them with a new set.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 am 
1098cc
1098cc

mini-dunger wrote:
Yeah mate. I ran it all in properly. And had the engine hot tanked.

I’m starting to think maybe the oil filter bypass is stuck open...
Why take the risk i always block the oil bypass off with a grub screw and a locktite sealing compound.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 am 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

HI ?
Are you sure that you are not getting coil bind? if you are using a set of cooper S springs with that cam you will be very close to coil bind.
Can you get a .030 feeler gauge between the coils if not that can be the problem what rockers are you running.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I think I figured it out.

On all my other builds I have used modified 1275 valves. I guess I just assumed the springs always had spacers under them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:25 pm 
998cc
998cc

mini-dunger wrote:
In relation to valve springs.

I would have thought that any spring set available specificially for a mini with a flat tappet cam would be suitable. Maybe less than ideal in some aspects but certainly not to the point of wiping out cams and lifters?. I don’t have any gear to measure seat pressure so I will just replace them with a new set.

Over springing and Coil bind will "wipe out cams and Lifters" quicker than you can blink.
Just because a spring is specified for a Mini engine doesn't mean it is suitable without correct installation, there are a lot of things to be considered.
If you don't have a valve spring tester you can actually use bathroom scales and a drill press or take them to someone who has a tester and tell them the spring lengths you want them tested at.
I like around 85 lbs on the seat and around 220 at full lift plus or minus, depending.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

and the top of the valve stems too Dave, remember? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next