Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi,
I am looking to remove the exterior handles on my mini ready for a respray. I've read the how to doc that is in the files, but could really use some picture references as I am struggling to figure it out.
Can any one help?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

What bit are you up to?
For instance have you removed the interior door and window handles and the interior trim board?
Are you intending to remove the quarter light window and the stainless steel strips covering the window frames?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I'm assuming that it is on you're mini K and that they are the earlier handles and not the later clubman style?

They are a bugger to get out,
I'd take the 1/4 window and window out first,
As Bill B said take off the chrome trims and seals, remove two larger screws under the 1/4 window pillar and 4 small screws around the door edge.
Wind the window down then pull the 1/4 window twisting it back towards the centre of the door, pull it towards the inside of the door as you slide it up and out the top. You can then windup the window holding it and withdraw the windup window.

There's a screw behind a chrome cap on the inside of the door, take it out and you can remove a square pin that engages with the metal U that goes around the window.

On the other side there's a C clip that locks the other side of that U on to the square rod that comes out of the outside part of the door handle, take it off, there's a clock spring, and washer that comes off, don't lose them down the door as they aren't easy to get back.

There's now 3 phillips screws holding the outside door handle on but no way to get a screwdriver on anyof them, I found a phillips driver bit in a 1/4 inch ring spanner to getto and turn the screws s l o w l y it's a tedious job...

BTW the dumbest reason to take the door apart? The door's not opening using the outside handle? after taking it out I discovered the reason.... it was locked! :oops: :evil: :roll: :!:
So I unlocked it and put it all back together again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

thanks for the info.

haven't yet removed the windows.

this is the part that troubles me..... I was wondering how to access the screws, and I can see this process is likely to involve a lot of swearing. I think that the designers must have thought we would never be taking the handles off to make it so difficult to get at.

On the other side there's a C clip that locks the other side of that U on to the square rod that comes out of the outside part of the door handle, take it off, there's a clock spring, and washer that comes off, don't lose them down the door as they aren't easy to get back.

There's now 3 phillips screws holding the outside door handle on but no way to get a screwdriver on anyof them, I found a phillips driver bit in a 1/4 inch ring spanner to getto and turn the screws s l o w l y it's a tedious job...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Minik1969 wrote:
I think that the designers must have thought we would never be taking the handles off to make it so difficult to get at.

It was Phill's dad I think, they had a pretty difficult design job, it was never designed to get a wind up window in there, that said I wouldn't have liked being at that spot on the production line, I can't see how they'd have done it quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:30 am 
1275cc
1275cc

The Gregorys manual No. 02 (1971-1978) has some photos that cover the doors - it covers Aussie specific parts so worthwhile having in your collection.

I'll send you a copy of the bit that covers the door handle assembly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It isn't impossible now that I've done a few, But the first time is a real trap as nothing looks like it will come apart.
Don't lose your temper - that's when the door knows it's winning!
There are a few places where careful force is needed but don't damage or bend anything as it isn't necessary.

Before removing the 1/4 light and then the main glass, I found it helped to peel out the bailey channel felt strip from the frame across the top and down the rear edge of the frame to get a little more clearance.
When unscrewing the outer handle, notice 1 of the 3 screws has a short spacer on it and there is the snail spring attached that is meant to stop the outer handle drooping.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

My handle used to droop but I installed the clock spring with the hook facing down and then tension it the 90 degrees clockwise onto that screw and spacer and it no longer droops.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:25 pm 
religious status
religious status

I leave that pita circlip off the outer handle, if you bend the C shaped piece a bit it stays on and you don't need the clip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

thanks all :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

So reading this, the answer to my newby question above seems to be that you HAVE TO remove the glass and frame. Can someone explain why? What is attached to it? I have the square lock pin out and even got the circlip off but now I'm stuck. TA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

FirstMini wrote:
So reading this, the answer to my newby question above seems to be that you HAVE TO remove the glass and frame. Can someone explain why? What is attached to it? I have the square lock pin out and even got the circlip off but now I'm stuck. TA

I did get my door handle off once without taking the window out, I just couldn't conceive of getting it back together with the window in, having taken the window out which is relatively easy it's just far easier to take the windows out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

FirstMini wrote:

I assumed you would want to take the 1/4 and main window out for painting and better access.

The external handle and escutcheon can be removed with the window wound up.
With the square pin and the circlip off, remove the 3 screws holding the door latch (the part with the tongue in it) to the door frame.
On the passenger door, unscrew the plastic locking nib.
Both latches have to be pushed towards the front of the car and wiggled around the U-shaped interlocking bracket the square pin was holding to the door latch.
Once the latch is out you should be able to see the 3 screws holding the escutcheon and handle to the door skin. One of those screws has a small tube over it, with the snail spring hooked over it.

Make sure you stuff rags into the bottom of the door to catch lost bits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Bill B wrote:
The external handle and escutcheon can be removed with the window wound up.
With the square pin and the circlip off, remove the 3 screws holding the door latch (the part with the tongue in it) to the door frame.

Oh that's right, I can't get my door latch off, one of the screws just spins and won't come out so that changes things... I'd still just take the glass out though,