Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

I am in the process of making a hydro pump, unfortunately every piece I have ordered for this project has had issues.

Can anyone who has used the H-556 tell me if it seals when it is not connected to the car like I believe the original did. As it is when I pump it the fluid sprays out, sprays not just flows out. There is normally two types of tyre chuck, one which is always open and one which closes. If the H-556 is meant to be open I wouldn't expect it to spray so spectacularly.

Also if anyone is looking for one there are cheaper ones available but I decided to buy the one which isn't a dodgy Chinese eBay seller.
Attachment:
Screenshot_20230721_231327_eBay.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Too many minis

Last edited by 68+86auto on Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:37 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I used a 556 connector to replace the original quick-fit connector when the grippers lost their 'grip'.
I don't remember whether the connector self-sealed when not attached to the car. For the 556 connector I made a little plug from a tyre valve to prevent it leaking. You could keep the knob on the side of the pump closed to reduce any dribbles but the manual says to leave both valves open when not in use.

Attachment:
Schrader 556 valve.jpg

Attachment:
Original schrader connector.jpg

The original connector does not self-seal. The brass plug is meant to stop fluid leaking out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

I was thinking it must've as the instructions said to bleed it using the bleed valve. Now I realise they must just rely on when it is fitted to the car. I was just going off what I remembered the instructions saying and what I assumed it would be like.

I am using one of those cheap plumbers test pumps, they are clearly cheap for a reason. The listing said 1/4" BSP which is what I wanted, I received a 1/2" BSP one and managed to get a $20 refund. Now I have it all together it seems the pump is bad, The pressure seems to spike and also leak down quickly. I knew I should've bought the real Rothenberger version but I thought if I did that I might as well buy an actual hydro pump.

I also had issues with getting a fitting to fit the 556, I bought two different 1/8NPT fittings and neither fit past about 1.5 turns. Airtec ended up sending me fittings to prove it wasn't the H-556

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

Since I thought the 556 would seal I had actually planned on using a valve stem to bleed it, now I know this is not the case but I will copy your idea for a plug.

I have edited the topic title since it is now more about making the pump not just the valve.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:23 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

68+86auto wrote:
I was thinking it must've as the instructions said to bleed it using the bleed valve. Now I realise they must just rely on when it is fitted to the car. I was just going off what I remembered the instructions saying and what I assumed it would be like.........

I'm not quite sure what you understand the bleed valve is used for. With the dalek pump connected to the car, the bleed valve is meant to be opened and the pump used to expel any air from the nylon hose, so that you can begin to pump up the pressure, there is no air being pumped back into the car.
But I usually don't bother with the bleed valve - just connect the hose to the car with any air in the hose, then depressurise the car slightly to scour any air back into the pump. Then begin to pressurise the system without air in the lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
68+86auto wrote:
I was thinking it must've as the instructions said to bleed it using the bleed valve. Now I realise they must just rely on when it is fitted to the car. I was just going off what I remembered the instructions saying and what I assumed it would be like.........

I'm not quite sure what you understand the bleed valve is used for. With the dalek pump connected to the car, the bleed valve is meant to be opened and the pump used to expel any air from the nylon hose, so that you can begin to pump up the pressure, there is no air being pumped back into the car.
But I usually don't bother with the bleed valve - just connect the hose to the car with any air in the hose, then depressurise the car slightly to scour any air back into the pump. Then begin to pressurise the system without air in the lines.

I had assumed bleeding the hose could be done before connecting it to the car, as you describe but before it is connected. Now I know it is not the case. I assumed the fitting would be a sealing fitting as to not have fluid going everywhere but this is not the case, it helps when I read the instructions carefully.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I’ve made a recently made new pump using the plumber pump. I’ve used both ways but connecting and letting some fluid out of the car is best way to be sure all air is out. Wait till no bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk