Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:47 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have just had the suspension pumped up to correct trim height now my steering is much harder, also should I fit the competition bump stops and the adjustable caster arms. John S says I may have to fit metal spacers under the hydro units everything is new except for HDs,What is the best combo for road use Hope the brains trust can help,
Allen TY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 pm 
religious status
religious status

I like and use the rear competition bump stops, but found the front ones too tall unless you are rallying, maybe. I use stock conical ones.

Yes I would use the adjustable castor bars.

Suggestion:
As all hydro bags are around 50 years old and most internal damping valves are corroding away, unless the car has to remain kosher I recommend adding front shocks. They don't need to be stiff, KYB or similar work fine.
Mine are 20 year old Pedders, still working ok.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ditto for Drmini's comments re bump stops - front competition ones are far too high for road-going suspension heights.
The spacers are usually 100 thou thick and help get the front height up to a satisfactory height while keeping the pressure within limits and not pumping the rear end to silly heights.
My 8/70 S has always had heavy steering compared to other minis. During the current rebuild I just discovered one of the locating brackets on the subframe for the tie rods had suffered damage and was pointing in the wrong direction, giving the wrong castor angle on that side.
Have straightened it as best I can but will fit adjustable lower control arms and tie rods to get the correct castor on both sides.