Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day,

Fitting up the new fan and radiator ready to put the motor back in the car when it gets painted and I have a question about the clearance between the fan and the radiator.

I've got a 1963 850 and I've replaced the original water pump, fan and radiator (all well past their use by date) with a GWP134 water pump, a 12G2129 plastic fan and a C-ARA4442 radiator. I'm using the original radiator 2 piece shroud.
I've checked the water pumps and the old and new are the same distance from the block to pulley.
When I fit everything up, the fan itself sits about 8mm inside the shroud, the fan is about 10mm from the radiator and there's about 8mm between the alternator pulley and the shroud. A few pics attached. I can't remember what the distances on the old setup were.

With it all in place, I tried to see if I could replace the fan belt (assuming I'll have to at some stage) and I can but it's a tight fit getting the belt around the fan blades between the radiator.

The reason I'm asking about the clearance is that when I got hold of a new engine bracket (old one had cracked), I got one of the later alloy block types and I also got the top and bottom radiator brackets as spares. These spares though are a bit different to my old ones and would push the radiator out about 12mm. Top brackets look identical apart from the extra distance and the bottom one is a bit different design to my old one. Obviously off a later model but I'm not exactly sure - perhaps a 1967 with a 998 motor.

I recall that there wasn't a whole heap of gap between the radiator and body shroud bit when I pulled the motor out and I'm wondering that if I fit the new brackets and push the radiator out, will there still be enough room between the radiator and body? I'm thinking that the engine bay didn't change from 1963 so in theory it should fit.

What do you blokes reckon?

Rocky

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:45 pm 
religious status
religious status

There are several different angle brackets for under the radiator, and at least 2 different bolt offset position bottom radiator shrouds.
I'm sure one combination will work.
Engine side of fan blades should be about flush with the shroud.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Doc. I played around with 3 different types of brackets and ended up with a really good result finally. Ended up using my old bottom bracket with one of the other top ones. I reckon my problem was that my old top bracket had broken at some stage and was welded up but it ended up shorter than what it was supposed to be. When I had that on, it must have tilted the radiator in towards the engine at the top. When I put the new top one that was original and not played with, everything lines up.

The fan is now sitting just about in line with the shroud on the engine side and nice and even all around. Good clearance between the alternator and shroud as well as between the fan and radiator. Will make fitting anew belt easier.

Appreciate your help.

Rocky