Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: LS flares attachment
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Purchased these screws and clip with the flares but for the life of me I can't work how they attach or if they are needed.
Attachment:
IMG_8115.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_8114.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: LS flares attachment
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

From memory the Leyland flare was only held on by the chrome plastic strip that goes along the sill seam and up around the arches with pop rivets can't remember any clips or brackets

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

There have been discussions here before, but Shaunsyd is right.
The Cooper S plastic-chrome dress mould is enough to hold them against the body.

The parts you bought always came in the factory accessories kit but were not really used by anyone, including the factory.
You were meant to drill holes in the guards and push in the flat buttons that became hooks to mate up with the slots in the inside edges of the flares.
The metal trim clips were meant to hold the outer edge of the flare to the steel strip then be covered by the plastic mould.

Attachment:
Rivet rear flare.jpeg

The flares were riveted to their backing strip at the very front and rear with fibre washers.
People usually pop rivet the plastic chrome at either end of the wheel arches too. But you rivet from the underneath with short rivets or they will poke into the top of the mould.
Also suggest just fitting the mounds and leave for a while before final cutting, riveting, etc as the mould will shrink and move.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've always used the metal clips shown above to attach the flares to the backing strip. It is then easier to attach the chrome strip. The clips were present on my 1970 purchased in 1978. Also, this car has a number of holes drilled in the LH side front guard only, which I believe were at some time used to attach the flare using plastic "plugs" which fitted slots in the inner edge of the flare. The RH front guard doesn't have the holes and I don't know if the guards are original.

1963 Triumph Spitfire
1982 RX-7 Series 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I have a few more parts leftover, thought the chrome strip would hold them just fine.
The mini had the plastic screw on type that was purchased from mini kingdom in the late 80s but I like the look of the LS type of flares. I also didn't want any hole holding flare on as most of the rust that has been cut out of the car was caused by water entering through the holes and laying in the lower section of the car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Lyddo wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I have a few more parts leftover, thought the chrome strip would hold them just fine.
The mini had the plastic screw on type that was purchased from mini kingdom in the late 80s but I like the look of the LS type of flares. I also didn't want any hole holding flare on as most of the rust that has been cut out of the car was caused by water entering through the holes and laying in the lower section of the car.

Yes. The fewer unnecessary holes the better.
The Mini King sold several different types to cater for all tastes. Give him credit for having either the original tooling or factory drawings to keep making the uniquely Australian-designed flares we can still buy today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
Give him credit for having either the original tooling or factory drawings to keep making the uniquely Australian-designed flares we can still buy today.

Yes, If John didn't have the foresight to get the tooling when it became available as the company wound up we Mark 2 Mini owners would be in a pickle. He also has the engineering drawings for flares and backing strips.

Shame he couldn't get the tooling for AL136 lens. :roll:

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

winabbey wrote:
Bill B wrote:
Give him credit for having either the original tooling or factory drawings to keep making the uniquely Australian-designed flares we can still buy today.

Yes, If John didn't have the foresight to get the tooling when it became available as the company wound up we Mark 2 Mini owners would be in a pickle. He also has the engineering drawings for flares and backing strips.

Shame he couldn't get the tooling for AL136 lens. :roll:

The Aust. Mk2/etc flares are easily the neatest and best-designed of the many alternatives I've seen on minis.
Amen for the rear tail lights. And they didn't rust like the UK ones.