Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: What Coil do I need?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day,

I've got an 1963 MK 1 850 that has been rebuilt and I'm going to fit electronic ignition to it instead of the old points.
I bought the kit from MKO part no. RTC3875C which looks to be same thing as Minispares K25D4. The distributor is a 25D. I've read somewhere that you need a different coil for electronic ignition but I'm no sure if that applies to the setup I've got.
The old coli has got a broken end on it so I need a new one anyway but just wondering what sort or brand you blokes think would be best. I see they are rated as ohms on the primary and secondary but I've got no idea what all that means.

Thanks, Rocky

Post subject: Re: What Coil do I need?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The basic Electronic Ignition kits I have seen and used say to use a coil more than 1.5 Ohms (Non Ballast Coil). So a 3 Ohm coil is ok to use.

This link on the Minisport page says you can use the standard coil for the K25D

https://minisport.com.au/mini-moke-25d- ... ersion-kit

Attachment:
ELECT_INSTRUCTS_1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks gtogreen. The kit I got has the same instructions but I got confused along the line by seeing, and reading about, coils for electronic ignition systems so I thought best to check with someone who knows. Reckon I might go with a Lucas DLB105 or the Bosch equivalent. They have 3.5 ohms on the primary and 10.6 on the secondary.

On another point, do you reckon I should fit the electronic kit straight up before I fire up the engine or get it running on the old points system first?

Appreciate your help. Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

rocky&bullwinkle wrote:
Thanks gtogreen. The kit I got has the same instructions but I got confused along the line by seeing, and reading about, coils for electronic ignition systems so I thought best to check with someone who knows. Reckon I might go with a Lucas DLB105 or the Bosch equivalent. They have 3.5 ohms on the primary and 10.6 on the secondary.

On another point, do you reckon I should fit the electronic kit straight up before I fire up the engine or get it running on the old points system first?

As a general rule I try and do 1 change at a time on items that will need alot of diagnosis if there is an issue.

Its ok to change lots of mechanical parts at once but if you change fuel, electrics and engine parts all at once, you run the risk of taking ages to diagnose a problem if something goes wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've got the trifecta then as everything is new or altered :D
When I got the car, it had been sitting in a shed since the early 80's and the motor was seized. It did drive into the shed and was running ok but sitting for so long corroded everything up. It's had a total rebuild with 40 thou oversize pistons and head done etc. When I got it, it had a mis-matched pair of 1 1/4SU's on it and I've now got a single 1 1/2SU. So essentially, I'm starting from scratch.
I've had the carby re-coed and fitting a new fuel pump so hopefully it fires but will need tuning of course.

Body is still at spray shop and everything else is ready to go back in when it's painted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 pm 
998cc
998cc

rocky&bullwinkle wrote:

Get it running properly with the points setup first , then you will know if you have a problem with the electronic ignition if it doesn't run

1977 Leyland LS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the tip AJ.

The plan of attack then will be to put the motor back in the car and get it running "ok" and then I'm thinking of swapping over to the electronic set, new cap and leads and then trailer it to a good Mini mechanic to do the final adjustment on the timing as well as the carby as it's just been recoed and never been on the motor.

Rocky