Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day,

When I put the all the running gear back, I'm going to use the QL5000 uni joints instead of the old rubber type. I've read heaps of threads about them and the need to not over tighten the nuts with the correct torque being around 8-10 lbs. The kits come with nyloc nuts and as I can't get a torque wrench on them, how do I tell how tight they need to be? I'll just be using a ring spanner to do them up.

I've read where you should have say 1/4" of thread sticking out past the nut but even without the nut on, there's about 13mm of thread and the nuts are about 9mm thick.

Any tips to how to judge the right torque?

Thanks, Rocky

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I haven't fitted QL5000 for a long time, so others will have more recent experiences.
The issue about over tightening relates to the original Dunlop rubber universals which had each of the 4 'knobs' of rubber covered with 2 half-shells of steel. The U-bolt nuts were meant to be tightened enough to pull the 2 half shells together and just touch. It was easy to keep tightening the nuts as it was the rubber being compressed, but this caused premature damage to the bonded rubber.

I suspect that the QL5000 style is not so critical regarding the nut tension as the U-bolt is clamping a round bearing cup that would not crush or distort as easily as the old rubber type.

If you were using Mini Spares website, they show the QL5000 but quote 8-10 lbs/ft torque for their own alternative GCD101 which is a copy of the original rubber UJ and would need more care tightening the U-bolt nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Just rechecked Mini Spares website. I misread their warning about 8-10lbs/ft setting - that torque WAS for their QL5000.

I thought they meant it referred to their copy of the rubber UJ only.

So basically, all those joints need to be just nipped up enough to hold the bearing to the yoke.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:38 am 
998cc
998cc

as bill said just do them up firm to tight and u will damage them to lose and will cause damage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Bill and I got a mini.

As a 'seat of the pants" guess, do you reckon say 2 turns (complete rotations) of the nut after the slack is taken up would be tight enough? I'm mindful of not over tightening but also don't want them too loose. Being nyloc nuts they already have some resistance so a bit harder to gauge the torque.

Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I rechecked my first comment after seeing a thread on the Mk1-forum.net in the UK on exactly your question.
The poster had photos of a failed QL5000 joint where there were about 9 threads showing after the nylocs had been "tightened"- others suggested these U-bolts were grossly over tightened!
When tightening the nylocs on the UJ it is hard to get a feel for being tight enough with the nylon resistance - every nut is in a slightly different angle and you can only see one cup at a time, then the next one is facing the other way!

In the absence of more informed advice I would tighten the U-bolts evenly till the cups are clamped and don't move in their yokes when you rotate the road wheel; then maybe 1 or 2 turns more as you suggested.
As you are aware of the problems from overtightening, it becomes a learning experience for you to get a 'feel' for what is "enough".
You can always have a look at the uni joints again once the car is on the road and tighten if there are signs of movement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks very much for your help Bill. I've watched a few youtubes on them and one used loctite blue with the nyloc nuts.

Would you use any loctite? I didn't think you did with nylocs. Some of the youtube stuff I've seen on Minis makes me think the blokes don't really know what they're doing so I'd prefer to ask blokes who actually know. I've adjusted all the U bolts so they slide into the yolks easily so I shouldn't get any false sense of how tight the nuts are.

Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm 
religious status
religious status

No need for Loctite with new nyloc nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Doc