Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day,

Will be fitting a new exhaust system to my 1963 850 with magic wand and need some advice as to where the brackets go.
The system I'm fitting is a 3-1 Maniflow freeflow C-STR816, an AN 180V pipe and a RC40 muffler. I've bought the RC40 fitting kit from Minisport and have a question as to where one of the brackets in the kit goes.
On my old system (which looked like a homemade set of extractors all in one piece with the inlet manifold) the exhaust was bolted to the rear of the diff housing on the driver's side. This was just a straight bolt and a clamp on the pipe - no rubber piece in between. At the front of the rear subframe, there was a rectangle rubber block and at the rear of the subframe, there was the cotton reel rubber block.

In the new kit (pic attached) I have everything shown plus another straight hanger bracket like the one second from left on the bottom row. I'm thinking that a cotton reel and straight hanger goes at the rear and the rectangle block and straight hanger goes at the front of the rear subframe.

The bits I'm not sure of are the triangle shaped hanger at the bottom left hand corner as well as the bracket that came with the extractors. This is a clamp and straight bracket about 2" long.

I'm thinking the pipe will need holding somehow near the end of the extractors where they join into the pipe - using the hole in the diff housing as per my old system.

Is this right and if so, what do I use? Just bolt it up or use a rubber block somehow?

Thanks Rocky

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

One clamp extractor to first pipe
One clamp first pipe to second pipe
One clamp with single hole hanger and big rubber isolator
Back clamp with triangle plate and two cotton reel mounts

Double check the clearance to the starter button!

There is a bracket that comes with the free flow manifold that goes like this
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26578
Attachment:
IMG_4598.JPG

This is the bracket on the diff
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... X7526.aspx

First hanger
Attachment:
28201C9F-F435-4355-873E-EFF0254C51FF.jpeg

Back hanger
Attachment:
296ABC8D-7ABF-41E4-A3EA-0787540BEA9F.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Timmy.

So the triangle bracket bolts up the rear of the subframe using the 2 cotton reels - makes sense once you know but I didn't think of that as the old system just used one.

Just to be sure, I've attached a pic of where I think the extractor clamp goes'as my setup looks a bit different to yours. I've got the rubber uni joints and am I right by bolting it in place with the middle bolt? The extractors are not bolted on the head yet - just sitting there.

Also, do I put any upward pressure on the extractor bracket to sort of take the weight a bit or just tighten up where they sit?

How much clearance do I need for the starter button and cables? Reckon it will get pretty hot there.

Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You are missing the bracket GEX7526 I linked above. It bolts to the diff and then the bracket above bolts onto it. I’d tighten it up at the manifold first and then do the lower bracket

Heat isn’t the issue at the starter button - it’s the arcing on the live terminal that’s the problem!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Checked out the link and see it looks like I need the bracket part no: GEX7526 which bolts onto the diff and then the extractor bracket bolts onto it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Timmy - I was checking out the link you sent and didn't see your post so we doubled up there a bit.

Looks like back on line to get the bracket I need.

Appreciate your help. Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 am 
848cc
848cc

Just to add a question, i have a remote gbox and pudding stirrer shift, do i need that same bracket at the gearbox just mentioned or just solid mount it to a bolt hole?

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying on like a pork-chop, I'm having a great time.

If I go very quiet there's a very good chance I broke something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Without the bracket the single bolt in the diff housing tends to come loose and fall out. There's a second version of the bracket in Timmy's photo (GEX7088) that is probably better as it uses three bolts rather than two.

Sapphire Blue Deluxe spread across three parts cars, two sheds and a driveway...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:53 pm 
religious status
religious status

I don't use the bracket because I've never had one.
Instead I use a NEW structural grade spring washer on the bottom cover bolt each time I fit my Maniflow LCB. Bolt is slightly longer to avoid it stripping.