Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi All,

I have been trying to sort out my wipers as they stopped working a little while ago. I found the insides all corroded and worn so I replaced the slip ring and contacts.
I tested this without the wiper arms on and it all worked fine. The first time I tried to use them in the wet though, the wipers got about half way up before dropping back down to park then not working again.

So I pulled the motor out and apart again and found all the new contacts were bent over. I straightened them out and put it all back together again. Again tested with no arms and they worked fine. Then suddenly they stopped again and even started turning the opposite direction and parking where the arms would be fully up. Then completely dead again.

So I pulled it apart a third time and couldn't see anything wrong although it did smell a bit like burnt out electronics.

I am wondering if there is a way I can test the motor with it apart? Do you think it sounds like its completely dead? This is the wiring diagram (2 speed motor):
Attachment:
20200217_155316.jpg

If I disconnect the motor from the switch and just ground one of the 3 terminals on the motor I get nothing.

Any tips or advise would be great! Been struggling with this for a bit now and all this rain makes it impossible to drive!

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Also I noticed at one point that one of the brushes was stuck in its housing, what can I use to lubricate/free up this?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:27 pm 
religious status
religious status

Some new slip rings are thicker than originals. This leaves a step where the cutout is.
As the contact fingers are leading not trailing (why?? NFI.. ask Lucas) they get bent. Mine did too.
Solution:
Remove slip ring and file a good chamfer or bevel on the 2 edges of its slot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

ben23f wrote:
Hi All,

I have been trying to sort out my wipers as they stopped working a little while ago. I found the insides all corroded and worn so I replaced the slip ring and contacts.
I tested this without the wiper arms on and it all worked fine. The first time I tried to use them in the wet though, the wipers got about half way up before dropping back down to park then not working again.

So I pulled the motor out and apart again and found all the new contacts were bent over. I straightened them out and put it all back together again. Again tested with no arms and they worked fine. Then suddenly they stopped again and even started turning the opposite direction and parking where the arms would be fully up. Then completely dead again.

So I pulled it apart a third time and couldn't see anything wrong although it did smell a bit like burnt out electronics.

I am wondering if there is a way I can test the motor with it apart? Do you think it sounds like its completely dead? This is the wiring diagram (2 speed motor):
Attachment:
20200217_155316.jpg

If I disconnect the motor from the switch and just ground one of the 3 terminals on the motor I get nothing.

Any tips or advise would be great! Been struggling with this for a bit now and all this rain makes it impossible to drive!

Thanks

You'd be better with this more informative wiring diagram
Attachment:
75204635_701162577050706_4817214527256920064.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:56 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Sounds like the Motor is rotating the wrong way. Very easily done. The contact fingers will never bend backwards if motor is spinning the correct way. Check it out. Remove the two little screws holding the contact plate in place and run the motor. Wheel should spin in favor of the direction of the contact fingers not against them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks everyone. I found again the contact fingers were bent back. As mentioned above contacts do face against the gear, I ground down the edge of the new contact plate as advised and turned the gear by hand until it felt nice and now its all working as it should. Thanks for the tips!