Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rubber flooring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:48 am 
848cc
848cc

Anyone know if the rubber flooring is available for mk1 mini? I've done searches everywhere, but just keep getting rubber floor mats. I'm after the full set as what would have been original in my mk1. Probably nothing available, but thought I would ask. i'd much rather rubber than carpet.

Or does anyone know of any suppliers that have anything similar by the roll?

Post subject: Re: Rubber flooring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:49 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Sadly I don't think you'll find a really good second-hand set but always worth a try in case someone stored a set in a cool dark spot. I've handled some of the similar rubber mats that covered the spare wheel in the boot and due to their age they split and fall to pieces when handled.

Manufacture of a reproduction set is of course possible but the tooling needed for all of the component pieces would be substantial. It would need someone with a deep pocket to invest and then have a market for them.

To highlight the complexity below is one of the engineering drawings for the Mini flooring showing all of the individual components and their shape.

Attachment:
HYA3429 Mini Floor Covering 1 of 2 wm.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:28 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Doug that appears to be the mk2/clubman version (not sure what deluxe had)

Do you have a copy of the 850 version?

Just curious

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've only just started looking for something for my 850 and came across All Car Carpets in Montrose (Melb). Their website says they have carpet and vinyl to suit. Not a big colour choice in vinyl.

Haven't rang them yet but may be worth a go.

Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

My 66 deluxe had the rubber/vinyl blue flooring, as per diagram winabbey supplied. Early 850 would match except wand and floor start holes I would imagine.

The rear floor on mine is pretty much (amazingly) intact except for a section under the passenger seat runner. Just as winabbey suggests it is very brittle and other sections I pulled out from the front broke under its own weight.

I will be doing carpet, the rubber is cold, noisey and shows dirt. Curious to why you would use it other than keeping absolute nut and bolt original?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:26 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bubbacluby wrote:
Doug that appears to be the mk2/clubman version (not sure what deluxe had)

Do you have a copy of the 850 version?

Just curious

It's for the round-nose Mini, not Clubman. The drawing is dated July 1964 as release into production for model YDO5. The last update was in 1967.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:35 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Cheers Doug, I was looking at the lined rubber and this style was also used in the early clubman.
So probably the same for mk1,2 and clubman given last update was 67.
Possibly?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Andosoft wrote:
I will be doing carpet, the rubber is cold, noisey and shows dirt. Curious to why you would use it other than keeping absolute nut and bolt original?

That's why I want it though: cold (not a problem where I live) and shows dirt, but so much easier to keep clean :) And there's plenty of sound deadening to help with the noise. Although speaking of noise, I was talking to a friend who owns and exhaust shop and we were talking about exhaust drone and how different mufflers etc effect it. What he said that was interesting was the hardest cars to stop droning are the more expensive euros (MB, BMW etc) that have heaps of insulation in them. When modifying exhausts for them, he reckons they drone the worst because of the muffling effect of the insulation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

rocky&bullwinkle wrote:
I've only just started looking for something for my 850 and came across All Car Carpets in Montrose (Melb). Their website says they have carpet and vinyl to suit. Not a big colour choice in vinyl.

Haven't rang them yet but may be worth a go.

Rocky

Thanks Rocky, I've just sent them a request to contact me with info. Will let you all know when I hear something back - fingers crossed - they do say carpet AND vinyl :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:19 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

They do remake them for the Innocent mini, but the price is huge! I'd love some original 850 rubber mats for mine, but for now the carpet will have to do

https://www.elvezio.com/en/other-makes/ ... ooper.html

https://www.elvezio.com/en/other-makes/ ... ooper.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:20 pm 
998cc
998cc

Were there not two different kinds of rubber flooring... ???

I seem to remember my 850 flooring had a black lumpy kind of finish. I don't remember seeing anything but black in the early cars. When the Deluxe came along they had flooring in different colours; I think you could get red, blue and pale green; I do remember those, maybe there were more??? ..... and I seem to recall it had a stripy kind of finish.

Just sifting through the few remaining neurons.. although I do have a fairly original 850 down in the shed. I'll have to check if it still has the rubber and will try to take a photo..

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

That sounds right to me about 2 different types.
Except I'm sure more colors than black in the 850. I'm sure the 850 in town here has a light blue rubber flooring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

The trouble is knowing whether that's original ..or what a PO could find when they needed new flooring. I do remember the old 850 stuff was pretty fragile. I bought my 850 when it was 4 years old and there were cracks...

What we need are a few sales brochures..

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:47 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I'll have a look at the flooring part numbers for early cars. I may have more detail.

In the meantime, this pic is of a New Old Stock rubber mat that was used in the 1961 CKD Morris 850, so UK produced. Maybe it's what some have mentioned above was in early cars before BMC Australia manufactured locally.

I'm assured by the custodian that it's "knackered", even though it's never been fitted to a car. It seems this type of rubber wasn't meant to last 60 years. :)

Attachment:
NOS Rubber Flooring.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Colour wise, I know of grey. Mine (1963) was an original one owner in Saxon green and it's got grey and another in town is light blue (early 1965 with sliding windows) and it's also original with grey floor.

Rocky