Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: adsmini
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

hey adsmini was good to see you in tamworth last tuesday even for a second or too.
I did 1100 klms in 2 days & you were the only one I came across. :)
cheers motogalgirl

1970 cb175 resto ..was a victim of canberras fire storm jan 03.. nearly pristine again..

Post subject: So tell us!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:20 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

G'Day Shirl,

So tell us how the trip went....there are a lot of Mini people fearful of driving long distances because of reliability issues....(settle Doc 8) )

Cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

Mini's can be just as reliable as any other car as long as it's been serviced and looked after. I drove from Adelaide to Central Queensland with the only problem being a dodgy fuel pump which was easily and relatively cheaply fixed :D

Post subject: I knew that!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:02 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Wolfman wrote:
Mini's can be just as reliable as any other car as long as it's been serviced and looked after. I drove from Adelaide to Central Queensland with the only problem being a dodgy fuel pump which was easily and relatively cheaply fixed :D

Settle also Wolfman.......not everyone knows everything about car prep :D

There is always the unexpected as well....like my thermostat failure at Cardwell just out of Cairns....who'd a thunk!! cooked the head :cry:

Post subject: Re: I knew that!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:10 pm 
998cc
998cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Wolfman wrote:

There is always the unexpected as well....like my thermostat failure at Cardwell just out of Cairns....who'd a thunk!! cooked the head :cry:

Yep, there's always the unexpected but that's the same with any car, I passed alot of broken down late model cars on my trip :lol: At least in a mini if you do break down you can usually get going again with a bit of basic knowlege or a call to the RACQ or equ. Get a glitch in a modern cars computer or electrical system and forget it and just call the tow truck :wink:

Post subject: Re: I knew that!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:17 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Wolfman wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:
Wolfman wrote:

Yep, there's always the unexpected but that's the same with any car, I passed alot of broken down late model cars on my trip :lol: At least in a mini if you do break down you can usually get going again with a bit of basic knowlege or a call to the RACQ or equ. Get a glitch in a modern cars computer or electrical system and forget it and just call the tow truck :wink:

Too true...my point, however, was that a lot of people don't have the knowledge or confidence to risk long distance Mini driving.

As for experts and the NRMA, don't get me started!! :shock:

Even they can be totally stumped by some problems....how many people here have driven an NRMA Patrolmans Van for 20-30 Kms whilst he tried to figure out what was wrong with the old carburetted Holden (Shhhhhhh :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

I suppose I became immune to the fear from driving my first car a 68 mini matic 998 for interstate trips, it only cost me $500 at the time so you can imagine how reliable that was at first :roll: You quickly learn to carry a few tools and spares and most of the time get it going, soon as I started working full time I had all the problems fixed by a mechanic then serviced it often and the only breakdown was a flat battery after that.
You're right that alot of drivers don't have any basic mechanical know how, that's something a basic mechanics course can easily fix, you don't need to know how to stip and rebuild an engine at the side of the road :wink: Just stuff like checking for spark and fuel , fuel filters are easily clogged, spark plugs fouled, water in dizzy, fuel pump not working, broken fanbelt or burst hose etc. Any of these can cause a breakdown but with a couple of cheap parts and a few tools in the boot can easily be fixed.

Post subject: Re: So tell us!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:00 am 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
G'Day Shirl,

So tell us how the trip went....there are a lot of Mini people fearful of driving long distances because of reliability issues....(settle Doc 8) )

The trip was great, I reaIly enjoyed it I did have a few problems but you have to expect that, I had a boot full or spares & bits to make stuff up if needed.
The raidater cap was not the right one but i phoned through to dubbo & the ordered one in & it was there 1st thing the next morning, also one of the shocks give way ( the split pin broke & the bushes were gone) I fixed that at the motel in dubbo ( the motel stay cost me more than fuel ) :D the weather was shocking as i got closer to stanthorpe gale winds pelting rain all good mini conditions the alternater packed it in about 45 min from getting there 10pm, wacked another battery in & drove like the blazers lol
even got aquaplaining down to a fine art :shock:

got lots of waves & toots from others on the road (all Good)
the truckies were great they didnt sit up me backside like the cars did ( i just let em through when ever I could )
was a big trip on my own but id do it again tomorrow
long live Lil K :D :wink:

1970 cb175 resto ..was a victim of canberras fire storm jan 03.. nearly pristine again..

Post subject: Re: So tell us!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

motogalgirl wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:
G'Day Shirl,

The trip was great, I reaIly enjoyed it I did have a few problems but you have to expect that, I had a boot full or spares & bits to make stuff up if needed.
The raidater cap was not the right one but i phoned through to dubbo & the ordered one in & it was there 1st thing the next morning, also one of the shocks give way ( the split pin broke & the bushes were gone) I fixed that at the motel in dubbo ( the motel stay cost me more than fuel ) :D the weather was shocking as i got closer to stanthorpe gale winds pelting rain all good mini conditions the alternater packed it in about 45 min from getting there 10pm, wacked another battery in & drove like the blazers lol
even got aquaplaining down to a fine art :shock:

got lots of waves & toots from others on the road (all Good)
the truckies were great they didnt sit up me backside like the cars did ( i just let em through when ever I could )
was a big trip on my own but id do it again tomorrow
long live Lil K :D :wink:

Yeeepppp....just your typical run in a Mini :lol:

Sounds like you were on top of things all the way Shirl.....good to hear Cheers :wink:

PS and no...aquaplanning is NOT fun in a Mini....damn things can swap ends in their own length!! (I oughta know :oops: )