Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm 
Yay For Hay!

pull it out of the shed, put it in the sun, get all of the junk out of it and take some better photos

should get about $2K for it

Post subject: simon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon - your right - some time spent cleaning it out and getting better photo in the sun would be a great idea.

I am a bit time challenged at the moment. I am hoping someone here gets real excited at the thought of such a rare opportunity and their lust over comes them.

I have had 3 wives prevent the purchase of it so far.

Any other opinions on price out there?

More importantly any one with a passion for a GREAT project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

The M-AW number is the chassis number; it will be stamped on a rectangular plate (with rounded ends) that would have been attached to the top of the radiator shroud with cross headed screws just under where the FE plate is welded.

Using this number, Heritage will research the build of your car and will provide a certificate (there are options with different costs) setting out the original engine, chassis and body number (this is stamped on a small plate welded to the slam panel just to the left of the bonnet latch), build date, the original colour, trim, any options fitted and maybe even the original dealer and UK rego number.

If there is a plate in the driver's foot well, it will be an "F" number which is similar to the FE number and is not recorded.

The Certificate will tell you exactly what you have.

Unfortunately the market for Travellers is pretty small in Oz - which could be good news or bad news....

Time is the issue; don't rush.

Cheers, Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Heritage can search with a chassis number, an engine number or a body number, they charge (even) more if its an engine or body number.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I'm looking for one but a bit later on need to tie up so loose projects first and a little bit closer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

goldbrocade - she's gotta be sold and out the door by mid next month.

Post subject: The M-AW number
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 am 
848cc
848cc

Latest development - looking for the M-AW number.
2 Days ago I visited the car - we are living apart - me and the car - on the crash bar as pointed out by others is a plate. Someone had even suggested there were 2 screw holes visible in the photos. They are spot welds not screw holes. The plate is there and was painted over - which reminded me that years ago my Grandfather had the car repainted - and at the time they painted the wood too - that paints has come off now - but it protected the wood.

I couldn't lay a hand on a torch or a piece of paper or a pen/pencil or any tools (we have moved out) So I used my pocket knife to scrape the paint off and then some oil and a bit of toilet paper to clean up the number. It's hard to read in the fading light - and I didn't see any sign of M-AW but the number looks like it was 1395794. So is this a body number or a M-AW number?

Later today I am headed back to the car with the tools to capture the number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:19 am 
1098cc
1098cc

The plate you are looking for is missing. Its meant to be on the radiator shroud adjacent to the FE number. I can see the two screw holes for it in your pictures.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bill773mini/YCG%20816/DSCN3207.jpg

Apparently some cars also have the chassis number stamped on the stiffener that runs from the drivers side mudguard down to the firewall crossmember, but mine doesn't.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bill773mini/DSCN3206.jpg

Heritage can do a search using the body number on the plate spot welded to the slam panel, but will charge you 10 pounds extra for it. Yours seems quite different to mine though, mine looks like 005538.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R

Post subject: more dating information
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

A very helpful post was made overnight on my website by MiniTravellerAndCountrymanRegister.org

Quote:
Saw your post on the Mk1 Mini Forum and thought we'd get in touch.
We look after the Mini Traveller And Countryman Register so we have an interest in all Countryman and Traveller cars that are still in existence.
With an internal tank this car will definitely be earlier than October 1961 - the launch date of cars with external tank, although we have external tank cars on the register with build dates of May &; June 1961.
There are other clues which could help to date it too - you car has the drip rails which were added in late September 1960 and also has a recessed screen as fitted from October 1960.

Timbo thanks too for your post and piccys - about to have a bite of lunch and go visit the ol' girl and see if I can resolve this M-AW issue and take some more internal photos for those who have been requesting them.

Post subject: An exciting day!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Visited the old girl today and took some more photos. A lot of folks are viewing the photos - some of you looking more than once!

A successful mission today- did you hear me yelling with joy?

I FOUND THE M-AW number plate.

Some clever intelligent chap had started removing things ready to begin a restoration and in a zip lock bag under the drivers seat - there it was.

* M-AW4 - 88810
* FE 127168 was confirmed too.
* and on the slam panel 005794 (boy I got that wrong)

Timbo yours is older than mine?

I took the stuff out of the car and took some more internal photos, including under the carpet photos to reveal the state of the floor pan - summary - undented and not rusted. Even the battery box is firm to the touch. It really looks like the passenger door is the worst for rust.

Got more back story and photos which I will put up tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Good stuff Tim.

I'd be really interested to see what Heritage reckon about the dates. Interesting that your engine number is 1000 odd earlier than mine, but the chassis number and FE number is about 1000 later.

The only other internal tank woody that I know of in Australia is an Austin, belonging to Garry in Albury. His is a fortnight earlier than mine, but has a higher engine number. They didn't necessarily install the engines in the order that they were made, but I'm surprised that they were that far apart.

I guess the other option is that it has had its engine replaced with a slightly earlier one, either in the UK or Australia. The same sequence of engine numbers was used in the very earliest Australian Morris 850s. The trick is that on the bottom of the oval plate where its says "Engine Number:" it also says "refer to engine", so you can't be certain from the chassis plate that the engine is original.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 am 
848cc
848cc

Timbo you were clear in your post -we are talking one in three that you know of in Oz?

So now this might be the last chance to buy one of these cars in Oz for a lot of years. I have to confess that I am a little surprised - shocked that I have been sitting on such a rare vehicle - I had no idea.

Heritage certificate will be indeed interesting - there's now a bit of a complication - I have a number of gentlemen making offers and I will need to consult them about the heritage certificate - it's a whack of cash just to give it away and it will have the wrong name on it - so I will have to consult the winning offer about this.

Over at the mk1-forums.net Simon776 has chimed in and said The FE Number indicates a late January/early February 1961 build date. Just like Timbo's. He doesn't know about the updated FE and chassis information - but I have posted them this morning. This is supported by the Mini Traveler And Countryman Register who think it might be Oct 60 or later.

Post subject: 53 new photos uploaded
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 am 
848cc
848cc

More photos!

Photo gallery here http://www.tbitc.com/photos-of-my-mini-traveller/

Not to get to soppy about it but this is getting hard for me. I am getting such great interest (look at the views count here, and in for sale and over at mk1-forums) and assistance, and it's put my mind back to the time I got this car. Every hour or so I stop and think about not selling - but I have to. Yesterday it was difficult cutting a seat cover off knowing that it was my grandfather who tied the knot. I was very close to him and I hadn't been in the car for 20 years - memories came flooding back about riding in it with him etc. This is getting to be like days of our lives so I will stop here.

I rang my mother and best we could work out was that my grandfather purchased the car in his retirement at age 60 and then only used it to go shopping and visit us and my uncle. It was his first and only car - he travelled by bus right up to that point. We think this was about 1970. It never carried more than pensioner's shopping and 2 pensioners. My grandfather was a fitter and turner/ mech engineer who designed precision lawn mowers for Scott Bonner. Precision lawn mowers? - for bowling greens. His mowers were designed to cut every blade of grass to the exact same height - and they did. He died in 1982 and my last registration was in 1984. When I got it - it was a clean road worthy car. I feel bad now knowing what it is. Did he know what he left me? Argh - Sigh.

As you can see in the extra photos uploaded -the floor was inspected by emptying the car out and pulling back the carpets. It was whilst doing this that I found the M-AW plate carefully sealed in a zip loc bag and placed under the drivers seat. The drivers window is busted - I had an issue with a shed break in 20 years ago by a 13 year old #@$%@^%.

You can see a lot of litter in the photos - the plastic shopping bags and garbage bags I used are lying in a thousand pieces every where - except for the one on the gearbox. This is a different plastic to the other stuff. The gearbox has nothing to do with the wagon.

We are planning another visit to clean her out properly and take some more photos - we were a little time pressured yesterday and an empty house has no tools.

As a general comment I noted that what had been removed internally seemed to be lying around near by. Little things like battery hold down clamps were there. Even the battery box seems pretty firm in the bottom. I initially described the car as heavily rusted and it is rusted but the worst rust seems to be the passenger door, most of the rest is large stains. The rusty gutters for instance are very solid. The whole car is covered in 25+ years of dust.

Grill - I don't think this is the original grill. Ok I guess I know it's not. I think it was exchanged a couple of years into my Grandfather's ownership as he was having big problems with car reliability in the wet and he was transporting my sick Grandmother and breaking down. For what it's worth the car died in my possession from over heating and now I wonder if this grill modification might have been responsible. The day it died it was very hot and my Grandparents would never have left the home in that kind of heat. Oh I fitted a new dizzy cap and leads and she was fine in the water.

Missing radiator vents - guilty! I did this. There was this overheating problem and I had a thermostatic fan kit (still do have it), you can guess the rest.

In the passenger door, right where the rust is the worst I found the original owners manual and it's of no use - stuck together and very frail.

I found at least 3 screw drivers I have been missing for 25+ years!

Why the pictures of the rear tyre - one of my potential purchasers noticed in the photos the the drivers side rear wheel looked like it was leaning out. All it turned out to be was a dead tyre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

whompem wrote:
Timbo you were clear in your post -we are talking one in three that you know of in Oz?

Yeah, but I don't know everything. :lol: For example I thought that there were only two until last week. I've heard rumours of others. There could be heaps hidden away waiting to be discovered. Just to clarify, that's 3 early internal tank ones. There are dozens (ok a handful) of later external tanked Travellers and Countrymen.

whompem wrote:
So now this might be the last chance to buy one of these cars in Oz for a lot of years. I have to confess that I am a little surprised - shocked that I have been sitting on such a rare vehicle - I had no idea.

Yes and if I wasn't totally skint I'd be making an offer too, that way I could corner the market.

whompem wrote:
Heritage certificate will be indeed interesting - there's now a bit of a complication - I have a number of gentlemen making offers and I will need to consult them about the heritage certificate - it's a whack of cash just to give it away and it will have the wrong name on it - so I will have to consult the winning offer about this.

There are a couple of options there - just leave it for the buyer. I think you've established that its an early 1961 Traveller. Alternatively just get a dating letter from heritage, they are a bit cheaper. If you do get a full certificate the buyer can get a new certificate in their own name for quite a bit cheaper, by quoting the reference number on the old one. You may not have time to get a heritage certificate anyway if you're in a hurry to sell it. Mine took a fair while for them to process and send.

whompem wrote:
Over at the mk1-forums.net Simon776 has chimed in and said The FE Number indicates a late January/early February 1961 build date.

I know, I'm a member there too. :lol: Simon knows what he's talking about and that fits in with the numbers on my car.

whompem wrote:
This is supported by the Mini Traveler And Countryman Register who think it might be Oct 60 or later.

They're just going off its appearance. It can't be earlier than October '60 because it has drip rails and a recessed windscreen, it can't be later than October '61 because they all had external tanks after that.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R

Post subject: Mean while in the UK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just stumbled on this 1961 mk1 in the uk on ebay... a google accident.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/morris-mini-estate-mk1-1961-/261060828470?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc8701d36

Comes with all sorts of replacement panels and she needs 'em