Ausmini
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I really hate to dampen anyones enthusiaam but you will not get it registered in Australia with a bike engine unless you have a very large bucket of money, bike engines are not ADR emission compliant and you will be required to meet the engine year emissions for what ever the year of the bike engine, a full testing proceedure the same as any new car would have to be done with cat and all fitted, not impossible but damned expensive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You sure about that? I thought the ADR was complient with the body, didnt matter which engine you put in.. I'm probably wrong though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quaife (i think thats how you spell it) makes a reverse gearbox (usually put in bike engined westfield such as the megabusa)

these are designed to be put inline with the tailshaft if you were going a front engine/RWD setup.

they have a lever you pull to engage reverse/forward, giving you 5 forward and 5 reverse sequential gears

i have a little custom bike engined car (mid engine RWD) that i bought at a swap meet. it uses a small gearbox for reverse. neat little gear shifting mechaism the guy made, (push the gearstick down and pull it back engages reverse, then push it foward and back up to go forward again and get the other gears from the motorbike, sequential)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:02 am 
1275cc
1275cc

there is someone in the uk developing a fwd BOLT IN bike conversion. it uses mini diff, engine mounts , cvs, pot joints etc. and bolts into a manual mini sub frame.and i think it was a 6 speed box. it was in mini world a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:17 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Honk
The motor is covered by its age and not the car bodies age, as most of the guys doing engine conversions will find if they run all the factory ecu and sensors the motor is considered to be ADR age approved, the problem with bike engines is that they have never had to comply with ADRs for emissions but once you try and fit them to a car they have to comply. In the UK they have been fitting bike engines to kit cars for a while but out here there are only 2 Westfield lightweights that have managed to get there cars passed and they both had to go through a full emissions test, they have Hyabussa motors in them and it cost them lots and straight after the tests they are not supposed to change any settings or parts without going through the tests again, wink wink nudge nudge :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

i'm pretty sure the Z cars guys use an electric extra motor for reverse. lots less f@#$en around in my mind.

West Aussie Mini Boys Represent...!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtimini is right....... a electric motor(usually a starter motor with solonid) is the cheapest fastest and easiest way to make a bike engined car go backwards...... But there are bigger problems at hand...... The gear boxes in busa's wont handle anything over 250 hp...... an easy figure to get if you turbo charge........ The box wasnt designed for heavy loads either so major mods need to be undertaken here to make the damn things relaible....... Bigger clutehes, sometimes through outs, baskets, out put shafts, bearings, output shaft carrier, bolts and undercutting will chew up a few though alone....... All that aside the busa motor is daily reliable on pump gas around 400hp and 600hp for drag racing is achiavible........ Trust me on these numbers...... I got a 480hp busa drag bike myself.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:52 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi guys haven't been through all threads yet but the article was in june's mini world about the u.k version 8)

1963 850 (roundie)
77 clubby
95 zxr 750 + toys!!