Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey Dan looks good buddy... What colour you painting it mate?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

What did you paint your bits with?

The engine silver parts looks like "VHT Cast Aluminum"
Am I correct?

What are the black parts.
Quite interested.

Cheers.
willy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:39 pm 
998cc
998cc

Matt,

I will take you up on that offer when it is finished. Run down to Canberra and back.

Mike,

It is the original colour saxon green. I disliked it at first but now i really like it.

willy,

Got it in one with the silver. The engine block and other bits are VHT gloss black. The intercooler is "Auto One" brand acrylic gloss black, i have used this paint many times and found it to be really good, i will however be interested to see how it stands up to the heat of the log manifold. I think i may have to wrap the log as it is close to some items such as the dizzy, radiator hose and some sensors.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:17 pm 
Yay For Hay!

that's a sexy ass right there.... very very sexy

do you have a photo of your subframe out of the car? always nice to see another one ;)

magic looking engine bay - really really well thought out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:50 am 
998cc
998cc

skssgn,

Check the earlier photos (pg 3) for a photo of the subframe with the engine in it.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 am 
Yay For Hay!

minimetoy wrote:
skssgn,

Check the earlier photos (pg 3) for a photo of the subframe with the engine in it.

Dan

ah yes.... visual dyslexia strikes again.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 am 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

minimetoy wrote:
Matt,

I will take you up on that offer when it is finished. Run down to Canberra and back.

I'm up for a drive down when i get mine on the road too 8)

Looks Great dan 8) Can't wait to see a few more driving around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

A quick update,

New coil lead made and fitted
Gearbox oil done
Oil filter and motor oil done
Water added ------- and dribbling out of the back of the motor somwhere??? IC, fuel rail, wiring, intake manifold removed to find problem :x problem found and fixed and all items reinstalled :lol: two nights wasted :(

Tonight i am going to crank the motor, hopefully the wiring is correct and charge all the oil system in the motor and turbo. Connect the wiring for the fuel pump and rad fan and fill it full of juice and turn the pumps on, hopefully no leaks. I noticed my injectors can rotated in situ, possibly the rubbers are a bit ordinary?

Tommorrow, If all of the above works out OK i will try and start the car.

Will keep you posted.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

well done, i hope it all goes well 8)

how did the shafts go?..

57 Morris minor
88 Rover Mini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Awsome news dan, im sure it will fire up first go. Injectors should be able to rotate alittle, keep an eye on them when you start it but.

Did you fit a heater to the rear water outlets on the motor? is that where the water was leaking? Coil lead must have been different then mine, i had ample lead to get the coil on the firewall where yours is, yours must be a later model motor.

make sure you have a camera or video camera on when you start it up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yeah not sure why the lead was short but a new one cost me $20 made to size.

The leak was from the the head, i had picked up the 4efe gasket and not actually fully cheked it when it was in place. Next to # 4 is a water jacket that runs to the manifold so the water was dribbling from there because of the lack of seal, anyway replaced gasket and problem solved.

I came home early today and hooked the battery up and she turned over :lol: I was very happy. I then craked thebolt on the incoming line to the turbo and was very happy to se that the line was full of oil. Another step closer.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

So,

Last night i went down at 10pm to do the final connections of the JAM, radiator fan and fuel pumps. By 11:30 i was frustrated that the rad fan and EFI pump would not do what it they were supposed to do, a little while later i found part of the problem which was a dry solder on a ground in the loom. The fan started to work as it was supposed to the EFI relay worked but the computer would not send a signal to the pump relay??? I thouhgt i may have fried the computer when i accidently plugged the wrong pump in (the low flow -ve into the pump relays +ve output) as all sorts of things started cliking in the engine bay??? I spent much time tracing all the wires and making sure nothing had been rippped out when i was re-doing the loom, all was in place and correct, finally gave up at 2.30am this morning and went to bed annoyed.

5.45am this morning eyes wide open adrenilen rush thinking about other things i should check, laid awake in bed untill 7 and finally got up and went down to the garage to try a few other things. Still could not get a signal out of the computer for the pump relay. Anyway decided to hook up the pump direct and test for leaks. The pump start and guess what..... the garage floor was covered in fuel, the union at the filter was missing a rubber seal, fixed this and tested again, all good.

In my mind i was still convinced that the computer was fried at this stage, i had hopped that maybe by some chance only the pump feed part was fried so i re-started the pumps and turned the ignition.

IT STARTED STRAIGHT AWAY (9:50am) I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! I WAS STOKED.

It was so quiet and just hummed away with no dramas, the motor did not vibrate it was all good - except for some minor leaks hear and there (I must be geting them all). There was a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust, it did not appear to look like ring smoke and seemed to settle down to none when idling and some when reving. At this stage i started recalling that the T25's have issues when too much oil is forced into them. BRAD can you confirm this??

Any way i switched it off and went to pick up Josh's computer (thanks again) to see if my pump output was stuffed. Got home tested it and got the same result?? So i decided to wire the EFI pump into the ignition via a seperate relay which worked a treat but i will be asking my auto electrician mate about the computer pump output.

Started it again and let it run for a while and noticed another minor leak around the turbo so stopped it and attempted to fix it, started again and had abig puddle of oil forming on the floor in front of the car??? quickly switched it off and went to investigate, the copper washer on the turbo inlet bolt had given way due to the tightening in fact the washer should have been a better fitting one but thats what the suppliers provide. The oil had streamed 3.6m into the air hitting the ceiling of the garage and then come down into a puddle on the garage floor. Motor was hot at this stage but thermostae still had not opened, the radiator was cold.

One more time for the dummies, she started again and this time no probs i let her idle for a while and the gave her a few big revs, still a very quiet but deep sound, i can't say that it sound like a turbo really but when you really rev it and let the throttle go it had a deep crackle sound (OH YEAH) And guess what no soke, all of the smoke seemed to dissappear at this stage, the radiator was hot so the thermost had opened.

ALL GOOD

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:10 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

That is great work, but no surprise as you have been so methodical in your approach.

Well done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:26 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

What a story! Good to hear your ECU wasn't fried 8)

I spoke to Brad about the smoke and he said if it's a smoky turbo it'd more than likely smoke at idle too.

Good to hear it's all up and running! My car is supposed to be ready for collection by Friday, so i'll find out when it's going to get engineered and see if we can get you there too 8)

What's left to do now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

I pulled the mini out late this afternoon and started it up again, there was absolutely no sign of smoke :D :D

The to do list:

Spray the front including a bonnet and scope
Fit off front lights bumper and connect wiring to lights
Connect rear mini loom into starlet loom in car
Build dash and wire in all smith gauges, switches etc
Fit seat belts (where is the best place to buy new ones??)
Fit door cards to front and rear
Finish off around gear stick
Fit front carpet
Re-fit front seats
Adjust front camber/castor and rear camber
Engineer (hopefully same time as Josh)
Rego
Scream around

Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next