Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, Having trouble with air flow into engine.

Typical setup with filter box and intake point in left hand guard.
Seems not enough airflow into motor.

Question::
What is the difference with the water to air setups. And does it actually work.
I read that there is no external air intake to the system and that no filter box is necessary.

In a pickle at the moment as dont know what to do to fix problem
All be it to ram charge the air intake like we did on trucks years ago.
Thanks for reading.
Looking forward to answers and some pics
Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by MINIDAD76 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am 
Yay For Hay!

MINIDAD76 wrote:
Question::
What is the difference with the water to air setups. And does it actually work.
I read that there is no external air intake to the system and that no filter box is necessary.

that sounds odd... the term "water-to-air" is usually refers to a type of intercooler which replaces the airflow through the fins of the intercooler with chilled water. I gather there are pros and cons but the air intake remains unchanged - you still (and should always) need an external air intake and air filter.

If there's no external air intake then where does the engine get its air from? internal combustion engines in submarines are a problem for good reason!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:50 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

From a similar post on Facebook I think the original poster has what sounds like an under sized inlet, as Simon says a water to air intercooler is only really useful on a boosted engine (at this stage it's unclear if this is the 4efte or the 4efe engine as both are starlet engines but only one is boosted) as any intercooler can't practically cool below ambient temperature.
In either case if it is due to an under size or restrictive inlet it doesn't seem the way to fix it , similarly ram air or cold air inlets can provide a free bump in power but it isn't enough to make up for anything but a minor restriction, ram air is also obviously dependent on speed so won't be working well for large amounts of time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guys.
Ive been looking at the pwr liquid to air intercoolers as yes, mine is a 4efte engine. The air inlet at moment is behind the left hand headlight in the guard.
When i read into it the pwr statement says the system requires no ambient, External, airflow.
I am hoping someone here with the system could put me on track or vise versa, I can put an intake pipe at the left of the three front air holes below the bumper. And then plumb it all up to the filter.
Aghhhhh. I just dont know.
I will try to post a photo of engine
Thanks again fellas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Your air inlet is the same as an air to air intercooler. You need fresh filtered air going into the turbo intake side.

The difference is that instead of going through a front or top mounted intercooler it goes through a water cooled heat exchanger (which has water flowing through it to a radiator to cool it)

Something like this
Attachment:
Air-To-Water-Intercooler-Diagram-01.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

[quote="MINIDAD76".
I will try to post a photo of engine
Thanks again fellas[/quote]
That looks a lovely neat install! The factory airbox may be a restriction, also the guards are a low pressure area which helps the original radiator placement work so you might not be getting the greatest airflow, but I can't see it being that significant, a temporary test could be too remove the headlight on that side and see if there's a significant improvement.

Why do you think it starving for air? Is it just not making the power you expect? Is it making much boost? What inlet air temps?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm 
998cc
998cc

It's not really clear what you're asking here. What is the actual problem? What are your symptoms? Are you having issues with the air intake; or the top mount air-to-air intercooler?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 am 
848cc
848cc

OK thanks all for replies
With intake behind the L H light bucket and in guard, yes I know its a low pressure area here, the intake hole itself is only 40 mm wide.
The rest of piping after filter box is 75 mm to factory 63 mm.
I am getting engine fault light after going only 15 klm.
The engine itself seems to be running correctly and itself sounds good.
The boost is taking a bit longer to feel when you stick the boot in, hence generally this is air flow.
I am looking at increasing air flow, I believe.
Thus , the question to all, is it worth playing with a liquid to air inter-cooler, barrel type and pump, or just run a front inlet and re-plumb the piping to the inlet. Also making it larger in the process.
Thanks all.
Alan, my radiator is in the way unlike yours where I can not put intake into the engine bay. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:16 pm 
998cc
998cc

40mm intake? Yikes. That's literally 40% of the area of the factory inlet piping size. First thing I would do is increase that hole size and see if it makes a difference. I see you have an EP82 engine with the pre-OBD2 diagnostics port. Have you confirmed what the fault code is yet?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Alan, yes its an EP82 .
your port thing is that the computer plug in near the wiper motor in my above photo.?
And no, I haven't confirmed the code as I don't own a testing scanner.
My first step is already under way. I have removed the air box and filter and in process off enlarging the hole.
Also, will run tubing from the left hand apron hole straight to the refitted air box in 55 mm tube.
Hopefully these mods fix the air problem.
I do not run a bonnet scoop where by the inter cooler gets fresh air straight onto it.
I believe this is another problem .will work one at a time
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:57 pm 
998cc
998cc

MINIDAD76 wrote:
Alan, yes its an EP82 .
your port thing is that the computer plug in near the wiper motor in my above photo.?
And no, I haven't confirmed the code as I don't own a testing scanner.

The EP82 has a self-diagnosis system where you count the number of blinks of the check engine light and reference a code. See https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/efi-self-diagnosis-system.71074/ for details/how-to

If it was an EP91 Starlet motor, they use a standard ODB2 port that you plug in a scanner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks mate. Got that.
Will tell you how it goes.
Cheers