Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:27 am 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

starlet gear in the rear aswell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:34 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You make it sound so easy cush....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:45 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lol... it was more of a question, than a suggestion.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thanks Cush, I'll put you down on the growing 'Stay with hydrolastic' list.

At the rear I plan to run a modifed standard or complete replacement for the subframe to move the standard 1100 trailing arms outwards to match the track width of the EP82 Starlet. I have the rear coilovers that were on the car and hope to use these similar to how the rear mini shock is attached. Also I will try to incorporate rear discs too. Easy eh...

Again, I have only briefly run this past the engineer. I want to get him round to show him all the bits so he can see the full extent of what I am asking. If he says no then I'll have a crack at getting it to fit round the hydro. In answer to your earlier question, no there is no more room to be had in the 1100 front subframe, especially with the bulk hydro towers. The only advantage is the the suspension is slightly further away.

Cheers

Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:58 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

if I can throw my two bob's worth in....... please note I have absolutely no engineering skills at all (I'm not ever sure I know any engineers!)

I guess I'd fall into the hydro camp if I was asked to choose sides (which I haven't been so feel free to ignore me) mainly because it would allow you to maintain a more recognisable body shape, it sounds like using the Toyota bits will require lots of body widening which would lose the overal shape and proportions of the car.

How do people get around tuning hydro suspension in Coopers? is it a matter of playing with anti-rollbars? adding some gas shocks? thicker fluid? less pressure?

'71 Wolseley 1300
'74 Austin 1300 Countryman
'94 XJ6 Sport 3.2
'04 Rover 75 CDTi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

rehab1964

By all means throw in your two bobs worth. Maybe we should throw it open and have a vote!!

Looks like you have a fair old collection of ADO16s over there. In terms of ruining the body shape, I was thinking of a similar look to a mini with sportspack arches, not anything too crazy. I think the track difference is about 100mm, so a 50mm flare each side and pushing the wheels right out to the edges should have it sorted. A sportpack arch would have to be about 50mm?? anyone?

I think as far as tuning hyrdolastic, people fit shocks to minis, but there is no easy place to mount them on an 1100 (Yes I know I am fabricating a whole new front end so mounting shocks shouldn't be impossible either). People also put a restrictor in line between front and rear, and I did try adjustable valves in-line once, but my brother rolled the car before I could draw any conclusions from the experiment. Thicker fluid is an interesting idea too. I usually lowered mine just by draining some out til i got a little bit of neg camber on the front.

Anyway, work to do. Thanks for your input.

Cheers Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:09 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Proven Products the Australian Koni importer used to make a kit for adding front shocks to the 1100. :wink:

I am not a fan of struts, the only time they work is when they don't work. :shock: Look at any race car with struts, what is the thing that they all do to make the car handle? Fit super stiff springs so that the struts are out of the picture! They bind up under load, they twist and bend.
Double wishbone is much better.

If you can fit the motor and box in the 1100 frame I would keep it just for the suspension geometery.

I have seen a race 1100 in the states with coils on the front in the standard frame. (they made adjustable spring seats inside the frame)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Can rubber cone not be fitted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:17 am 
998cc
998cc

Thanks for the healthy discussion guys.

Morris 1100

Do you have any info on the kit for the 1100. Do you know how it mounted?? On a mini I assume you can use the standard shock mount and wishbone from a dry car, the 1100 does not have these.

Does anyone think that adding shocks to the REAR of a hydro equipped car would work?

I agree with you about the struts, it was just a way to use all the bits that I had and save forking out for bigger brakes etc.. Mind you, one of the discs is cracked, and one of the struts has rubbed through the chrome, so I will need to replace both anyway now.

Do you have any info or contact details for the 1100 race car with coils? Pics? I have thought about this too, but it means getting custom springs made up and lots more trial and error I think.

Slinkey - I could try to adapt mini rubber springs, but they would be (theoretically anyway) overloaded and I bet the engineer wouldn't be too happy about it either. Still need to find a place to mount shocks as well.

Hmmmm. I do like the idea of keeping the hydro. Cause it means I have that much less work to do. Does anyone know if I can bolf Metro Turbo brakes onto 1100 hubs?

Thanks everyone for you input.

Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am 
1275cc
1275cc

madmorrie wrote:
Hmmmm. I do like the idea of keeping the hydro. Cause it means I have that much less work to do. Does anyone know if I can bolf Metro Turbo brakes onto 1100 hubs?

Madmorrie

Nope. 1100 callipers don't bolt up to a mini hub (slightly larger spacing between the holes from memeory) so you would have to summise the metro callipers, which can bolt up to a mini hub, will not bolt up to the 1100.

In terms of re-use why not get a backing plate laser cut and use the starlet gear? Or Commonwhore - given that the 1100 is not as restricted by internal wheel diameter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

mmmm brakes......

My Wolseley 1300 has Austin Allegro front discs, larger diameter than ado16's but i'm not sure by how much, enough that I have to run 13" wheels though. If the mini guys are using camira and civic brakes could these be adapted to the 1100 hubs?

I remember that Pedders used to do a conversion kit for telescopic shocks to the front of the marina, i think they used the original mounting points though.

I'm a member of the UK ADO16 club - would you like me to fire a few messages of there re suspension mods?

'71 Wolseley 1300
'94 XJ6 Sport 3.2
'04 Rover 75 CDTi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:58 pm 
998cc
998cc

rehab1964

I just found that site an hour ago. (slow day here at work). Why it has taken me so long I dont know. Also found this site http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... 040&page=3

scroll down a bit for a great pic of what I want my car to look like. Even down to the colour.

Where are you in Melbourne? Would love to come and see your collection some time.
Yeah i had thought about the camira conversion too. I'm sure there would be something that would fit, if possible vented as the starlet is about the same weight as the morrie and they were vented discs. I plan to get 14 inch wheels so space for brakes wont be an issue.

Thanks

Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

OMG!!!!

it would never get up my driveway in a million years!

we're out a hurstbridge - not too far from you if i remember rightly, you're welcome to pop up and have a gander at the crowd any time. Pm me for the phone number

K

'71 Wolseley 1300
'94 XJ6 Sport 3.2
'04 Rover 75 CDTi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:06 pm 
998cc
998cc

BACKFLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've thought alot this weekend and decided to keep the Hydrolastic suspension. Thanks to all for their input. I think I may have stated a while back (like 2 days ago) that I was 99% on going the starlet route. Well, I've thought about how much extra work is involved, and the 1% of me that was afraid of ruining the handling of the car has become very vocal. That and I'm hanging to go for a drive so this decision will have shaved months (years?) of the project time.

After all, I may as well have been doing something like this for all the work it would have entailed http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=219069
(This guy is a maniac. But it his morrie will be awesome)

So now I can basically replicate what you guys have been doing but with a slightly different subframe. My concerns now are that I can find a suitable easy to do brake upgrade (the honda one on here a while back looks the goods) and I have enough room between the hydro towers to fit it in a similar location to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:49 pm 
This space for rent

If you're worried about brakes, have a chat to Hanra about his 9" conversion. I don't think he had his engineered, but you could easily get that done with the rest of your mods. I think his conversion came to about $1k, and kept the standard drum hubs, shafts, etc.

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next