Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

That looks great!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:34 am 
998cc
998cc

Nice work on the custom turbo inlet pipe :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm 
998cc
998cc

The dash ended up a little warped from the welding, but will be fine overall.
But, I wasn’t happy with the edge I got around the binnacle. The brake line edge ended up being a bit lumpy.

To rectify this I clamped some wood as a ‘formwork’ to allow me to fill up to it with the fibre re-inforced bog.

Once released this came up like so. Much straighter.

Which, after lots more smoothing, looked like this.

Then after 3 coats of wrinkle paint this.

And finally this. It certainly isn’t perfect, but we stopped shooting for perfection a long time ago...

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

Well done on the dash. That looks fantastic and as always - bog hides a multitude of sins :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thanks Mearcat, there will certainly be some more bog used before I am done here.

Another chapter in the interior, this time the super exciting topic of sunvisors. Probably needed for a roadworthy so might as well get them done with the rest of the interior.
The original sun visors were long gone but my dad has had a set of aftermarket black ones stored in the original box since maybe the 70’s when he owned 1100’s from new.
These were designed to swing to the side, like all modern ones do, but back in the day this was obviously an advanced feature. I guess if you wanted such luxury you had to upgrade it yourself.

They came with a neat little mount that was in no way going to work for my application. Probably why he never used them actually.

Original mounts versus the shape I need.

I initially tried the cut off the mount boss and braze it to some steel shaped to fit my roof rails, but it just melted, was obviously not the brass that I thought it might be.
Original mount on left, and the other one seconds after heat was applied…

Anyway, here’s metal template shaped to fit the spot where I need to mount them.

And made into two pieces out of heaver stuff.

Note reverse curve required, this involved some pretty rough panel beating to get the shape.

I then lathed up some new holey-bits

And welded them to the baseplates.

Which worked pretty well, then they were bogged and wrinkled painted like the dash, resulting in this.

They look pretty sweet, and will go with the rest of my all-black interior nicely.

Last edited by madmorrie on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm 
998cc
998cc

Very cool mate ! It’s going to look sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous - 1978 Leyland LS 1275 Gold
- 1969 Mini K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm 
998cc
998cc

Long time no update. Jumping around a bit here, but this is the story of the drive shafts.
After the subframe, the next most fundamental connection between the Morris chassis and the Toyota motor must be the driveshafts.
I spent a lot of time positioning the motor originally to allow equal length drive shafts and made up the dummy shaft to check lengths.

After carting the 1500 and toyota shafts around from shed to shed for ages I finally decided to just make up some test shafts to verify that it all worked.

I am using the 1500 front hubs which have a larger outer CV then the normal Morris 1100/Mini one. This is kinda what I need. The left hand end of the 1500 shaft connected to the right hand end of the toyota shaft.

I made up this jig to hold them all in the right place while I welded them together. I ground down the ends to allow building up a decent amount of weld.

Obviously just mig welding them together doesn’t result in a proper driveshaft. These are hardened steel. This was very evident in the first tack weld that cracked audibly as soon as it cooled. I thus adopted a pre-heat/post-heat technique. Which then morphed into literally the oxygen acetylene torch in one hand and the mig in the other. No photos of this process for obvious reasons, but it was lots of fun.

Repeat the process to get two.

These shafts were not the final ones, but they did allow final fit testing and making sure everything worked like it should. They also survived several test drives and meant I could just take the whole set of shafts to the driveshaft shop for replication.

While I’m curious as to how strong they would actually be, the cost of finding out is probably not worth paying.

Here are the final shafts fresh from the driveshaft shop. They are now installed in the car so a roadworthy is not too far away.

Last edited by madmorrie on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:50 am 
848cc
848cc

madmorrie wrote:
Long time no update. Jumping around a bit here, but this is the story of the drive shafts.
After the subframe, the next most fundamental connection between the Morris chassis and the Toyota motor must be the driveshafts.
I spent a lot of time positioning the motor originally to allow equal length drive shafts and made up the dummy shaft to check lengths.

After carting the 1500 and toyota shafts around from shed to shed for ages I finally decided to just make up some test shafts to verify that it all worked.

I am using the 1500 front hubs which have a larger outer CV then the normal Morris 1100/Mini one. This is kinda what I need. The left hand end of the 1500 shaft connected to the right hand end of the toyota shaft.

I made up this jig to hold them all in the right place while I welded them together. I ground down the ends to allow building up a decent amount of weld.

Obviously just mig welding them together doesn’t result in a proper driveshaft. These are hardened steel. This was very evident in the first tack weld that cracked audibly as soon as it cooled. I thus adopted a pre-heat/post-heat technique. Which then morphed into literally the oxygen acetylene torch in one hand and the mig in the other. No photos of this process for obvious reasons, but it was lots of fun.

Repeat the process to get two.

These shafts were not the final ones, but they did allow final fit testing and making sure everything worked like it should. They also survived several test drives and meant I could just take the whole set of shafts to the driveshaft shop for replication.

While I’m curious as to how strong they would actually be, the cost of finding out is probably not worth paying.

Here are the final shafts fresh from the driveshaft shop. They are now installed in the car so a roadworthy is not too far away.

great job! may you let me know, to which vehicle does that central driveshaft belong?

cheers
Axel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

clubman S wrote:
great job! may you let me know, to which vehicle does that central driveshaft belong?

Those 4AGE equaliser shaft/layshafts are from a AE101 or AE111 Corolla/Levin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 pm 
998cc
998cc

Mearcat is correct. From memory this was just sourced from Toyospares wreckers many years ago. They seemed to know what I was after and found one in a pile pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:35 pm 
998cc
998cc

Way behind here and clearly need to do a bunch more updates to this thread.

BUT IT WAS REGISTERED TODAY! MADMORRIE LIVES!!

Still grey and not very shiny, but has some shiny new numberplates now. Itching to take it up the Dandenongs or some other twisties but lockdown:(

Drives great, LSD is not too noticable, just makes slow speed steering a little heavy. Above walking pace and you don't feel it. And it's was very welcome in the wet today.

Engineer reckoned I needed to make it louder, which is good as I was planning to anyway. So that's probably the next thing, then start to sort out panel work to make it shiny and yellow.

Thanks to all on this forum past and present, who offered advice, encouragement and knowledge. I can honestly say I would not have begun this project without Ausmini.

Thanks and stay tuned.
Madmorrie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Congratulations! What a milestone for the build and well done with keeping at it until it was done :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 pm 
Yay For Hay!

awesome! very well done!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Brilliant work, a huge congratulations, I bet driving it with plates on after all that time has a HUGE grin on your face, as it should!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:36 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Damn, pictures are broken.. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next