Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 125  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:51 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thread revival.
The Cat was on the 2nd page. :lol:

Sorry for the thread hijack tricky but I'm looking into doing a starlet conversion and wondering what you do for engine steadys?
Do you just run the standard 4efte engine mounts and nothing else or do you add other steadys?
Just curious as it's one thing I'm stumped on! :oops:

Cheers, Rhys

1977 Leyland Mini Van - Sold
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe - Sold
2004 MINI Cooper S Chilli - Sold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
All good, need to update it anyway!!

In all the ones I have done - about 10 now - I have just used the standard engine mounts roughly in the standard positions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 am 
848cc
848cc

Archangel007 wrote:
Next on the list was a guillotine and horizontal bandsaw - been needing both of these for a while as I am doing more and more sheet metal work:

Hey Tricky,

Wondering what you think of the bandsaw? I was looking at the same one (I think) and was wondering what you thought of it. Have you used it vertical with the cutting table?

Link Here: http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B003

Cheers, Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Geez, its been a while since I updated this thread.

Sam the bandsaw was well worth the money I paid for it - and I am very glad I paid the bit extra and got the swivelling head and upright table I use it every day and once I got it setup right cuts very straight and accurately. I have used it in the upright mode a few times for doing quick roughing cuts and its a breeze to use in this mode. The table it comes with is quite wide and stable.

Its now on its third blade so you can guess how much work it has done. Highly recommend this model, and I put some casters on the back to make it portable!

Grab one!

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:59 am 
1275cc
1275cc

***UPDATE***

Yes its true, an update!!

Hi Forumites,

Well for the first time in ages I have had the weekend to myself - well almost, if you take out mowing the lawn and other household stuff.

So, I had decided to spend some time working on The Cat. This was precipitated by sending some stuff off to the ceramic coaters to get it heat-coated. In the past, I have sent all my stuff off to HPC to get done, but the bloke running the Queensland operation has shut up shop, so a new supplier needed to be sourced. I had some pipework and other bits n pieces that had to get coated for clients, so I thought I would test the new suppliers finish on some of my own gear.

I chose a company called Thermal Edge Coating at Brendale - they seemed to get a good wrap on some of the online forums and they were close - perfect. I dropped off the dump pipe, EM and turbo to Paul at TEC and got him to coat it all in hi-temp black - 1,500 degree protection according to them. Paul even took the turbo apart to coat the turbine housing, which was nice.

Anyway, the parts came back looking great - the coating was nice and even, smooth with no blemishes or milky shadows as sometimes happens when ceramic coating isnt applied properly. Although I didnt specifically ask for it, they did coat all the parts inside and out, which was a bonus

Here they are at home, just in hi-temp satin black:

Its been some time since I had these parts on the car, and subsequent to the length of time and also moving from the top shed to the bottom workshop some of the fixings have gone astray, and some dont look as good as they did - so it was off to Masters to get some Champion blister-pack bolts and nuts - Masters have the whole range!

Then, it was time to install the EM, turbs and other associated underhood items. First things first was the reinstall of the remote oil filter arm and the spin-on adapter that would allow me to relocate the fiilter to somewhere more accessible. This meant also that the braided nylon hoses for said relocated filter would have to be installed before the turbs and EM went on, because it is mission impossible to do so afterwards. So, I roughly cut them to length on they all went:

Next was the EM and the turbs, with new EM nuts:

Then on went the inlet pipe from the airbox to the turbs:

And finally the water and oil lines to the turbs (sans the oil feed line, as I havent got the banjo fittig for it. If IIRC, the banjo fitting was in a right state of disrepair so I chucked it in favour of a new anodised aluminium jobbie from Earls - yet to be ordered!!). The water and oil lines I decided to use some hi-temp silicone hose for the job, as it was pre-bent to the rough shape and it was spare. It came in a box of relpalcement silicon hoses I ordered a long time ago to suits a Subaru WRX - which I ordered for the pre-bent blow-off hose.

One thing I did alter from my pre-paint install was the location of the Digidash sender unit - this is a combined oil pressure/oil temperature unit that is calibrated to suit the Digidash. Originally I had it located down behind the turbo, fed off a tapped in line to the spin-on oil relocator. In hindsight this was a stupid position - it is around a fair bit of heat, and being down low is subject to road muck and grime and maybe even an errant rock or two. For such a precision device, it needed to be reloated somewhere more protected and more accessible should it ever need replacing. To this end, I ended up drilling and tapping a 1/4 BSP thread into the remote oil filter housing and screwing it directly into that. A much better location - both accessible and protected. Here you can also see where I have terminated one half of the remote oil lines from the bottom relocator housing - the other hose goes to the oil cooler which is yet to be installed:

I then made up some L-brackets to clamp the hoses to - simple pieces of aluminium angle bolted to the inner guard using nutserts and 6mm domed socket head bolts - keeps the braided nylon oil lines away from the EM and keeps them in order:

Last job of the day was the windscreen wiper motor. Simple install, but it meant that the radiator overflow bottle will need to be relocated, as the two were just touching and with all the vibration that goes on it would have eventually worn a hole through the thin aluminium of the overflow bottle. I just need to find another place for this now, but its getting crowded in there.
I purchased some new wiper gearbox lock rings and angle mounts but have misplaced them somewhere - might have to be re-ordered along with some new gaskets etc.

So, some progress which is good. Still a fair bit to do underbonnet - the oil feed to the snail, boost signal lines need to be run, a little bit of wiring still outstanding, and the radiator and other bits n pieces like the BOV still need to be installed. Might get onto that next weekend - life permitting!! :shock:

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I havent found the wiper chrome trim rings, does anyone have any spare they would like to sell?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:50 am 
998cc
998cc

Looking good tricky!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks Ross...

Its slow but steady at this stage.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 am 
848cc
848cc

Indeed it does look great! Any estimations on when you will get it finished? Next years muster perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am 
1275cc
1275cc

G'day Phil,

Well I am hoping well before then, as there is not a great deal to do to get it driveable.

If you dont take into consideration the interior, which stil needs to be fabricated per se, then the only thing left to do is finish the electrics, finish the oil lines and install the driveshafts to get it running - the rest of it is purely bolt-up!

Mind you, in saying that - it is now almost a year since I sent off the driveshafts to be made up....!! :shock:

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good to hear! I look forward to seeing The Cat there then! My mini should be ready by then too. Nowhere near as special as this one as I just want to get it built first, then the upgrades will start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:10 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Looking forwards to seeing yours as well thne Phil - we must keep each other motivated!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'll be posting an updated in my thread when I get on my PC next :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:15 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Little steps.....

Got the driveshafts back this week, from AGM Engineering. Its been 10 months since we sent them, not sure if we will ever use AGM again. I think I will try and find someone local. However on the plus side the workmanship is top-rate. Might have a crack at getting them installed next week if I can.

Spent an hour yesterday just doing some small bit n pieces, and trying to methodically work through the list of jobs left to get the thing running. Quite a few things are on the list but nothing which is a show-stopper - just small things which cant be left out. Trying to keep track of them is the hard bit. In went the intercooler, the brackets that hold it and the silicone bend from the turbs to the 'cooler. Then the rest of the charge piping from the 'cooler to the TB. I then installed the Turbosmart BOV (what a precision made and high quality bot o' kit this is - highly recommended) and the plumbing from the BOV back to the airbox. I ran out of clamps so I will pick some more up today and finish that bit off.

It was looking good, even though the polish was quite dull. I decided to then test fit the front spoiler and see how it all looks. After a little bit of trimming where the joins were made, it fitted up quite nicely. The position of the driving lights in the spoiler has changed, and come inward a fair bit, which now means that the FMIC end tanks are in the way. These will have to be trimmed and re-welded as the driving lights and the front headlights are a matching set and the front spoiler was always designed around these very lights. All-in-all though, the fitment was good. Now its just a case of sanding the joints back and painting the spoiler, plus mounting the quick-release fixings for it!
Oh, and paint the FMIC black of course!!! :wink:

Its all happening! :D

Cheers,
Tricky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 125  Next