Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 125  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:37 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Thanks guys - nice to get so much positive feedback from your peers.

Next update soon - and its "SHOPPING TIME"

Cheers,
Tricky

P.S. Oh Josh BTW, bloody nice brakes, were they very expensive??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:40 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

Oooh..i love shopping time :D

Umm..PM sent ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Chapter 8 - Shopping Time

Now that the engine bay has progressed to the point where all that remains to do to it is to pull everything out again, strip it and repaint it, its now time to get some other area of the car up and running.

I am pretty fortunate in that my wife comes from the UK, and her father still lives in the UK. Dave, my father-in-law, is also a mechanic, so thats handy. He was also an MOT inspector before be retired, also handy.

So a quick phonecall to the UK and the deal was struck. If I bought some stuff over in the UK, I could send it all to Dave who would repackage it, and send it to me. This should save some $$$.

The first thing was to buy some brakes. Now I am a big (huge) fan of having a decent set of anchors on a car - any car. Especially a car that has got a bit of performance behind it (like El Gato will have!). A really good set of anchors for the Mini is the ubiquitous Metro 4-pots. Believe it or not, they are a very good brake set-up when used with vented discs (they are also manufactured by AP Racing!). So, I bought a set of Metro brakes from eBay UK for the princely sum of 22 pounds, yep thats right AUD$52, complete with brand new Greenstuff racing sintered metal pads and Metro drive flanges. OK - sent to Dave.

Next on the shopping list was a set of rotors - of the ventilated type. There were heaps of options from the likes of Minisport, Minispares etc. But I found a set of brand new rotors, on eBay UK for 20 pounds (AUD$47.00). I sent these to Dave to get shipped back to Australia. Funnily, he rang one night to say the the guy who sent the calipers had thrown in a set of Metro hubs with the deal - "send it all" I said!

So, Dave forwarded all the brake stuff, and it cost me 55 pounds (AUD$130) in freight. So, for the total figure of AUD$229.00 I had the brakes taken care of (except the braided brake lines - more on this later).

Now, El Gato came standard with drums all round. So, I needed to source a set of disc brake hubs. I could have used the set of Metro items, but apparently this causes all sorts of problems in terms of steering geometry (excessive Ackerman angles and positive camber). So I was on the hunt for a set of Mini hubs. After searching high and low, I found a set for sale on the forum. He wanted a Mini steering wheel, column and ignition key and lock assembly. Straight swap - no worries!!

Here is a shot of the calipers and rotors as they were delivered:

I then spent $70 on a new set of CV joints off eBay, so I could put the whole lot together. After getting the calipers sand-blasted, I repainted them in Septone Metallic Blue hammertone paint, then whacked them on the car. The result.....

Next on the list was to upgrade the suspension. If I am a big fan of good brakes, I am an even bigger fan of great suspension. The standard Mini rubber suspension (or hydrolastic if a 'wet' setup) wasnt bad in its day - but it shows its age against more modern setups. Of course one can install Hi-Lo's to give a modicum of adjustability, but only in ride height. What we really want is a suspension setup whereby we can adjust ride height, spring poundages, have a choice between progressive and linear spring rates, adjustable compression, rebound and damping in shock absorbers etc. For this, aftermarket coil-overs is the only way to go.

After doing heaps and heaps of research and asking even more questions, I decided to purchase a set of GAZ coilovers. I had a choice of GAZ, Spax or Protech. I chose a full set of GAZ from the nice people at Huddersfield Mini Spares for the following reasons:
1. Same price as Spax
2. Bigger choice of spring poundages and rates
3. More adjustment settings for compression and rebound
4. Shock body zinc coated for long life.
5. Standard 50mm coil spring width

I ordered the Gaz front and rear coilover set, but with custom spring poundages for El Gato. After working out the total weight of the car, and the unsprung weight of each corner, I changed the fronts to a slightly stiffer spring rate (same as Mini Miglia!), with linear rate springs, while at the rear I went the standard Miglia spring weight, but with progressive rate springs, with extra travel (the rear-end of a Mini is the hardest to set up and get right!). I decided not to screw around with the valving, as the GAZ's come with a huge adjustment range anyway.

Check out these little beauties:

And because the GAZ use a standard 50mm spring, I can choose from about 100 different spring rates, lengths and poundages from manufacturers such as Tein, and Eibach. So, racetrack tuning, here we come.

Next on the shopping list was a new dash. I saw the good work that Brad did on installing the Starlet dash in his Mini, and it did look good. And a lot of people spend a lot of dough and time buying Smith gauges etc. I wanted something a little bit different. Since El Gato was going to be a nine tenths track car, I wanted a display that looked the part, but was easy to use and read. The choice came down to a few different types, but I chose a digital display. In this type of display are many recognisable brands like Stack and Motec, but I chose the DigiDash Lite from ETB Instruments. The reasons:
1. Fully programmable display
2. Two totally different types of display (large format and small format)
3. Slightly larger than the Motec and Stack, and easier to read
4. Heaps cheaper than either the Stack or the Motec
5. Comes with all the senders and software included
6. Option for data logging

Here is one awesome display:

I could talk up this dash for ages, but to read up on what it can do (which is a lot!!), here is the link:
http://www.etbinstruments.com/

We are not quite finished yet. As mentioned earlier, El Gato was going to be a track car built for the road! I had Migla springs and dampers, so why not go the whole hog and install Group A suspension components. I called up the Engineer -

Tricky - "Gary, are you adverse to me putiing on spherical bearing suspension components?"
Gary - "No, not at all. As a matter of a fact, I totally endorse the move. But it will make it ride just that little bit harsher, but with heaps more feedback through the suspension".
Tricky - "Duly noted. Thanks"

And so, I decided to purchase the best Group A, spherical bearing (rose-jointed) suspension components I could find. And where else, but in the UK. Huddersfield supplied the Group A, on car adjustable lower control arms. Check these out:

The front tie rods I purchased from Minisport. They are also Group A, spherical bearing, fully on car adjustable. They are the nicest and strongest I have ever seen:

Now, thats racing suspension.........

Next time in Chapter 9 - "Why send a box of stuff back from the UK, when you can send a crate!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 am 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

is it a race car? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

It will look crazy fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:54 am 
998cc
998cc

nice suspension can i ask how much the coil overs cost you and did they come from the uk to or did you get them in australia

FIRST COMES THE MONEY, THEN COMES THE POWER, THEN COMES THE WOMEN.!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

cush wrote:
is it a race car? :)

Cush,

Basically, a road registerable one, yes!

The only thing it doesnt have (yet), is 20m of chrome-moly roll cage!!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

badassmini wrote:
nice suspension can i ask how much the coil overs cost you and did they come from the uk to or did you get them in australia

Badass,

I purchased the GAZ coilovers from Huddersfield Mini Spares in the UK.

They had them listed for 235 pounds for the front kit and 165 pounds for the rear kit. The kit includes shocks, springs and all mounts etc.

Total = 400 pounds. This equates to around AUD$952. Because overseas purchasers dont pay VAT, at 17%, the price came down to AUD$790 (this is what I actually paid). Now, add in freight, duty and GST, and the total came to about AUD$1108.00

here is the Huddersfield website - total professionals to buy from.....
http://www.ratcliffe1633.freeserve.co.uk/suspension.htm

Compare this with the Australian distributor, Spateri (??) Motors, who wanted AUD$1600 plus postage. What a rip!!!!

The custom springs cost me a big fat zero to change over- now thats good service!!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:02 am 
998cc
998cc

that is good service

FIRST COMES THE MONEY, THEN COMES THE POWER, THEN COMES THE WOMEN.!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:50 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Geez I wish this was going to be ready in time for Minis Down Under - I'd love to see it. Looks like one of the best engineered cars I've seen - Good work mate 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:12 am 
998cc
998cc

Tricky

All i can say is AWEsome... I agree with Bob this is gonna be One of the best cars that will hit the road... Keep up the fatastic work.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

unreal job mate, keep up the good work and would love to see more updates on it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

MrBob wrote:
Geez I wish this was going to be ready in time for Minis Down Under - I'd love to see it. Looks like one of the best engineered cars I've seen - Good work mate 8)

So do I Bob, so do I.

But unfortunately, it wont be. I am probably one of the slowest converters on the forum. I take my hat off to people like Brad and Josh and the others who seem to do it in a weekend!!

My aim is all finished, on the road (read: track) by Christmas.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for the nice words.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Baracade wrote:
Tricky

All i can say is AWEsome... I agree with Bob this is gonna be One of the best cars that will hit the road... Keep up the fatastic work.

Cheers

Thanks Dean, but I wont be catching you down the straights thats for sure (corners maybe, but not the straights).

All the best with yours.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

13secmini wrote:
unreal job mate, keep up the good work and would love to see more updates on it :D

You should be giving yourself a pat on the back Brad, your the one who started the whole thing in the first place (sometimes I dont know whether to praise you or curse you!)

I am still waiting for an anouncement on your next project by the way!

Anway, thanks for the nice words and updates very soon.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 125  Next