Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: electric mini
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

please keep me posted on progress.any idea on speeds expected

by the way what rims/ttyres are you using and how much were they ?

cheers

Post subject: website
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

keep up the good work on the website !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well hello at last!

I have been trying to get on the this forum for some weeks, as I am also looking into a mini EV conversion. So if can show me how its done I want to know!
I am still looking for the mini to start the conversion with but that not to far away.

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:41 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

i'll keep bumping...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:48 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Mick wrote:
Now to organise a work park close to a power point eh?

That is indeed nice work.

Solar panels on the roof and bonnet

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 pm 
ausmini mod
ausmini mod

The Doctor wrote:
Well hello at last!

I have been trying to get on the this forum for some weeks, as I am also looking into a mini EV conversion. So if can show me how its done I want to know!
I am still looking for the mini to start the conversion with but that not to far away.

Doc

Hey Doc, is this the guy that called at the workshop and I spoke to you? You were after a shell (preferably rolling) if I recall correctly?

PM me, there are a few ;)

Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 pm 
ausmini mod
ausmini mod

Oh, and just to add to the thread, Im happy for conversions to electric, it means eventually oil prices will come down with less demand, fuel will be cheaper, and I can run my fuel guzzlers cheap! :)

OK, now im ducking for cover.

In all seriousness, thats really impressive, awesome setup.
With 200nm of torque right off the bat (ie 0 RPM) without a gearbox wouldnt it spin tyres? The torque isnt a curve is it, its a straight line... I would really love to see how they perform (ie/ 1/4 mile or 1/8th mile, etc) not as a drag, but rather to see what it can do.

Is rego, green slips, or anything else cheaper?
Getting a pink slip the same as any other conversion? I bet the pink slip dude would be pretty suprised!

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:08 am 
Milatsmadmini

pristic wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Well hello at last!

Doc

Hey Doc, is this the guy that called at the workshop and I spoke to you? You were after a shell (preferably rolling) if I recall correctly?

PM me, there are a few ;)

Peter.

you have some rolling shells!

and you choose not to tell me! lol

im loving how this conversion is turning out... im also very interested to see performance of this bad boy.... :wink:

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
As are we all! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

information on batteries is VERY hard to find....

well the important stuff.. like price and life cycle....

especially on those thundersky's..

it's the only other thing stopping me from doing this myself..

i did a calulation.. with a 25 litre tank @ 1.70 (current average) that's $42.50 pertank and lets say that lasts a week.

now if the conversion budget was 12,000 (plenty) you would re-coup the costs of the conversion in 5 and a half years of petrol free motoring...

at $2 per litre it's 4 1/2 years..

then the batteries would still have another 3-4 years in them at which point they price would have dropped significantly for new ones*

and that's purely economic, but i can't quantify the value of the reduction of emissions.

Isn't it great that Texaco own the rights to NiMh batteries. Why would they want that, i wonder?

*until nickel, lithium and copper start running out and we're in the same mess all over again..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

cush wrote:

I did a calulation.. with a 25 litre tank @ 1.70 (current average) that's $42.50 pertank and lets say that lasts a week.

then the batteries would still have another 3-4 years in them at which point they price would have dropped significantly for new ones*

and that's purely economic, but i can't quantify the value of the reduction of emissions.

Isn't it great that Texaco own the rights to NiMh batteries. Why would they want that, i wonder?

*until nickel, lithium and copper start running out and we're in the same mess all over again..

Well, Cush... Take a look around here, here, and here. I think you'll find there's some decent (not perfect, not 100% complete, but usable) information on batteries (including ThunderSky) and life cycles there. I think the numbers they portray tend to be conservative, too. They've also got running cost (excluding the conversion cost) comparison calculations.

I vaguely recall reading something about a patent on some form of Lithium battery running out in 2010, too, which should further lower the price of Lithium batteries. And the Chevron/Texaco patent on NiMH batteries runs out in 2015, so we'll see what happens then.

I don't think we'll have major dramas with running out of nickel, copper, lithium, etc, because it can be recycled (at least where it's used as cabling - wait a few years, then rip out your old phone line, :P if we ever go FTTx :roll: ), and because there are already alternatives... There are electrolyte-charge batteries, where the charge is taken from an electrolyte, like the Vanadium Redox battery (Google it - Australian design, pretty cool). We just need them to be commercialized...

In terms of price comparison, even if we ignore the value of emissions (because most of us can't get access to that sort of power supply emissions free), it's reaching a breakeven point. Then factor in further rises to petrol, then the carbon tax/Emissions Trading Scheme (which we'll all pay for, because we are all consumers - I don't know a single person who is close to carbon neutral (without paying for it already), let alone carbon negative - boy I hate using 'carbon' in such an inaccurate way), rising coal costs (they've quadrupled in the last eight years)...

Wombat wrote:

Sorry Wombat, but Phill would have the same issues with Solar Panels as with Regen from an Alternator - every little bit helps, but it will only help a little bit. There's some maths on it here.

cooper69 wrote:
Talking about batteries I have come across a company called eestor in usa, and they are now claiming a energy storage device which can hold about 50kw/h in a capacitor which weighs about 150kg from memory and will cost about $2500 to produce.
If true this will revolutionise the automotive industry. 50kw/h would allow me to drive my mini for about 700-800km before charging, and they claim charging can be done in 5 min.

The only problem with these would be that the average person doesn't have a power supply that would charge them in 5 minutes. :lol: Pretty cool if they do what's claimed though. :D

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, I don't mean to, I've been reading about it a lot... I like what I'm reading, too! Although my personal (not short term) preference would be AC power...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Hmm... interesting figures on the solar cells - at least you would carry your own shade with you :lol:

What do you do for heating - or at least demisting as it is an ADR requirement?

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:58 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Most home made EVs just use a hair drier.
K.I.S.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm 
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tadhg wrote:
cush wrote:

I did a calulation.. with a 25 litre tank @ 1.70 (current average) that's $42.50 pertank and lets say that lasts a week.

Well, Cush... Take a look around here, here, and here. I think you'll find there's some decent (not perfect, not 100% complete, but usable) information on batteries (including ThunderSky) and life cycles there. I think the numbers they portray tend to be conservative, too. They've also got running cost (excluding the conversion cost) comparison calculations.

I vaguely recall reading something about a patent on some form of Lithium battery running out in 2010, too, which should further lower the price of Lithium batteries. And the Chevron/Texaco patent on NiMH batteries runs out in 2015, so we'll see what happens then.

I don't think we'll have major dramas with running out of nickel, copper, lithium, etc, because it can be recycled (at least where it's used as cabling - wait a few years, then rip out your old phone line, :P if we ever go FTTx :roll: ), and because there are already alternatives... There are electrolyte-charge batteries, where the charge is taken from an electrolyte, like the Vanadium Redox battery (Google it - Australian design, pretty cool). We just need them to be commercialized...

In terms of price comparison, even if we ignore the value of emissions (because most of us can't get access to that sort of power supply emissions free), it's reaching a breakeven point. Then factor in further rises to petrol, then the carbon tax/Emissions Trading Scheme (which we'll all pay for, because we are all consumers - I don't know a single person who is close to carbon neutral (without paying for it already), let alone carbon negative - boy I hate using 'carbon' in such an inaccurate way), rising coal costs (they've quadrupled in the last eight years)...

Wombat wrote:

Sorry Wombat, but Phill would have the same issues with Solar Panels as with Regen from an Alternator - every little bit helps, but it will only help a little bit. There's some maths on it here.

cooper69 wrote:
Talking about batteries I have come across a company called eestor in usa, and they are now claiming a energy storage device which can hold about 50kw/h in a capacitor which weighs about 150kg from memory and will cost about $2500 to produce.
If true this will revolutionise the automotive industry. 50kw/h would allow me to drive my mini for about 700-800km before charging, and they claim charging can be done in 5 min.

The only problem with these would be that the average person doesn't have a power supply that would charge them in 5 minutes. :lol: Pretty cool if they do what's claimed though. :D

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, I don't mean to, I've been reading about it a lot... I like what I'm reading, too! Although my personal (not short term) preference would be AC power...

excellent info thanks...

yeah i've been floating around the zeva site for a while now... it's been a godsend as far as clarifying things for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cushy, one of my old customers back when I was working with garders had built multiple electric and steam cars for his own use and others. His name was Rod Muller and lives down in Goolwa and runs a small company called Strath Steam. He has convereted two Altos and helped build a few others here in SA give him a call or look on his website for more info... http://www.strathsteam.com/page10.html

Master Ford

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next