Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:27 pm 
The TIG

I decided to start a new thread for the engine conversion portion of my Traveller build. You can follow the rest of the build by following this link.
http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30597

I am building a B16A powered LHD 1967 Traveller with a standard length roundy front and I will share the details here. I took apart the donor car two weeks ago, the weekend of June 21/22, 2008. I brought the engine and bits home the weekend of June 28/29, 2008. And this weekend, July 06/07, 2008, I decided to start fitting the engine. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

Donor vehicle
1994 Honda Civic with JDM B16A swapped in with 50,000kms, LSD, B&M short shift kit, header and cold air intake. I will be using many parts from this car, engine/transaxle, complete wiring harness, inner CV joints, exhaust, fuel pump, brakes, seats maybe even the guages. I saved every part I thought I might be able to use. Some of the parts I have sold or I will sell, but the car shell has now been scrapped.

Bringing the bits home. In my daily driver low ride Toyota Truck.

And the work begins.
I love my plasma cutter.
I also love my welders.
I have the initial horizontal tubes that the main mounts will attach to, but I haven't welded the brackets for the mounts on yet. I decided to test fit the front sheet metal to make sure it will all fit, everything fits well except I may need to do a little trimming that will be hidden when I fit a radiator. I may also have to do a little trimming behind the front plate to clear the header. I think that will be acceptable and not very noticeable.

67 Traveller - Needs restoration
www.victoria-chiropractors.ca

Last edited by TurboOrangie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

wow thats a full engine bay

looks pretty neat. keep up the good work

West Aussie Mini Boys Represent...!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You make it look so easy :roll:
I like how your welding onto the outside of the suspension tower and not trying to attach to the front of it, I never would have thought of that and it's probably stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:26 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Nice work there mate, keep us posted.

I bet Simon is jealous!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

how come your not using a jig?

like what im seeing keep up the good stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:45 am 
The TIG

Quote:
GTi_Mini
wow thats a full engine bay

looks pretty neat. keep up the good work

And it's only going to get more full and I'm going to try and keep it looking neat. And don't worry I'll keep it up. It would be crazy to stop now!

Quote:
Kennomini

You make it look so easy
I like how your welding onto the outside of the suspension tower and not trying to attach to the front of it, I never would have thought of that and it's probably stronger.

I feel that it is easy, it just takes some thinking and a bit of time. Having some good tools helps too. Knowledge is very important, I do lots of reading and looking at pictures on the internet, I look at the construction of cars at car shows as well as many projects in peoples garages, and I like to think I've learned a lot by doing previous projects.

Quote:
Archangel007
Nice work there mate, keep us posted.

I bet Simon is jealous!!

Thanks. And I hope Simon is jealous. That means I'm on the right track if people are jealous. I've been jealous of all the VTEC and Turbo Starlet powered projects out there. The little Suzuki turbo engine in TurboOrangie is fun, but I wanted more power.

Quote:
dbr11k
how come your not using a jig?

like what im seeing keep up the good stuff

Because jigs are for pu$$ies and I don't see how dancing around is going to get that VTEC in my car any faster. The truth is I'm using the whole car as a jig and I'm using squares, clamps, inclinometers etc to keep checking what I'm building. I have the car on adjustable Toyota truck jacks at each corner and I check it at various points regularly to make sure it's sitting how I want it. What's left of the stock subframe is properly bolted into the car. I wanted to fit the engine with the subframe in the car so I could figure out what I had for clearance in the vehicle, particularly with the steering rack and the front sheet metal which I can quickly fit with the use of some clamps. When I converted Orangie into TurboOrangie I did use a jig and constructed everything out side of the car and it went well, but I still had to make a couple adjustments when I tried to fit it into the car. I'm still not happy with it and I will probably make a few changes to that project when I am done the Traveller. When I did my rotary engine swap in to my Corolla I build it in the car and it went brilliantly. Since my car still needs paint and it doesn't matter if I work around the car I find it easier this way. But I guess we will see if it was a good idea when the project is done. Once I get the subframe roughed in I will remove the engine and pull the subframe out of the car and I will add some gussets, and clean up and finish the welds with my TIG. And at some point I will powder coat it.

Monday before work I got up a bit early and I whipped up a couple tabs for the right engine mount and welded them in. They still need to be drilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 pm 
The TIG

I took a couple hours tonight and did the tabs for the engine mount on the left side of the car. I drilled the holes and bolted the engine in for the first time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

cool bickeys !

your explination sorta cleared things up for me a bit :shock:

have you measured how low the motor sits when its at ride hight?

looks good keep it comin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 am 
The TIG

Quote:
dbr11k
cool bickeys !

your explination sorta cleared things up for me a bit

have you measured how low the motor sits when its at ride hight?

looks good keep it comin

I'm glad I cleared things up for you a little bit. I have not measured how low the engine sits, it's going to be fairly low no matter what. I will work out whatever problem there may be. It was more important to have the engine sitting in nice and tight to the firewall so I didn't have to stretch the front. Also I'd prefer to have it low to keep down the centre of gravity.
And don't worry, the updates will keep coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:52 pm 
The TIG

Time for an update. Today I had a couple hours before work so I fired up some power tools and removed some areas from the intake manifold that were not needed so it would fit better in the car. Also I used the plasma cutter to notch out the firewall to clear the intake manifold. Next time I pull the engine I can box in the space for the intake. I was going to modify the intake manifold to fit in the car better and then it occurred to me that I am not a Honda engineer, and I'm not spending millions of dollars to design the manifold. So I'd probably just lose power. And that would be silly since the point of this whole project is to have more power, and oh yeah, reliability. I do think I can design a notch in the firewall and a custom pedal box to compensate for keeping the stock intake manifold.
Before:
After (I have taken a little more off since this picture.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

Love your work. It is always a joy to read through your threads because the actions just happens so fast :) Keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Wouldn't it be nice ot wake up one day and think, hey I might Plasma Cut my firewall today. I'm struggling to find an extension lead....

Dicko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I can't believe I missed this!! I'm sorry Nigel - I really am!

turboorangie wrote:
. And I hope Simon is jealous. That means I'm on the right track if people are jealous.

just for you, I'll say that I'm jealous, I'm not tho - just totally inspired - Tricky - I'm going to do my forward spars the way Nigel has done them - that solves my concerns perfectly.

I wanna put my motor in!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:31 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Be my guest Simon, I think its a great way to do them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
The TIG

I've been busy the last couple weeks with work and other things in life that take time away from the TravelleR project. But I did manage to get some work done. Last week I did some patching up in the rear wheel wells and did some general welding in various areas of the car. Not really any interesting pictures of that work. This weekend I cut the section of the transmission tunnel and rotated it 180 degrees so that the shifter hole would be closer to the right hand side of the tunnel instead of being closer to the left. This allows the shifter and the exhaust to both fit through the tunnel without touching. I mounted the shifter to the floor and then shortened the shifter stabilizer bar and the shifter linkage by about 29 cm. Then I built some brackets etc to complete the rear engine mount. Now it no longer rocks back and forth. There wasn't much room left between the rear of the engine and the steering rack once I had the rear engine mount in so I had to cut the header and rotate the position of the oxygen sensor so everything would fit.

Here are some pics of this weekend's action.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next