Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think Meeni has quite a good suggestion in just bolting them up ,the moulded look looks great but if you ding it ,not good

They look the same as my arches, a couple of tips if i may

The rubber strips in between the arch and body cover any imperfections
you can get this from clark rubber for stuff all

The mounting bolts on these arches are all over the place, i cut a piece
of rubber hose to take up some of the play in between the right angle
bracket mounting screw and the body

Which brings me to my next point, use nylocs and DONT overtighten them
or you will get waving in the panel ,just tighten them enough to be firm

Cheers Hallsey

Post subject: Rover fuel tank
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

On another note, i picked up Rover fuel tank this week - complete with pump, return line and extra capacity!

Has anyone experienced using this pump for the 4EFTE? I presume the pressures and required delivery rate would be similar, but haven't looked at it in detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

G'day Amos
I'm using the rover EFI tank in my red beast,i was suspect on
the rover pump keeping up so i'm using this as a priming pump for the 2lt
surge tank and then into a VL commodore EFI pump

The last thing you want is fuel starvation in a EFI car

Cheers Hallsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies guys - always good to get a feel for what others have done.. :D

Another day in the shed and another job done (well half done!). Got the front end off and started to trim the new one to fit. Unfortunately due to radiator and subframe mounts i have to do some mods. Added to the fact that the mounts on the new panel aren't aligned with the old one :x

Before:

After:

And the new one is to come soon (hopefully!)

Post subject: Stripped & porous prime
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

I can't believe I haven't posted anything for a year! Anyway, I haven't really got a LOT done just been chipping away. I did however get my baby back on the weekend. It's been in an alkaline bath for paint, sealant and deadener removal. It was then fully taken back to bare by linishing and finished with a black porous prime for some more body work!

This wasn't a super cheap option, but it has guaranteed minimal loss of steel, complete removal of any body filler and it has shown all the problems that I couldn't see before. This prime is ok for filler and is easy to take back for any further welding. The front right wing was badly damaged at some stage and has several rust holes in it, as such i'll be replacing it! Only a few other problem areas - i.e. spare wheel well and a few small holes in the boot and bonnet. Otherwise nothing that can't be sorted with a bit of filler....

In addition to the shell work I'm currently having custom drive shafts made. They've already been turned, just having them splined and then will go out for heat treatment and post grinding.

Waiting on many many parts from around the world. Including service kits for the engine and the turbo + lots of cool new shiny looking mini parts :D

A recent neck injury means that i'll probably not be able to do as much of this project as hoped, so the engine build will likely be outsourced :(

Here's a few pics (almost makes me want to go with a matt black paint job!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

It looks nice and clean! What ball park figure did it cost to get done if you don't mind me asking... Only asking as I have had my van bead blasted 2 or 3 times now and don't really want to get that done again, even though they say it doesn't impead on the steel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Between 2 and 3k for everything. Happy with how it came out. The only thing I wasn't happy with was a few additonal dents that definitely weren't there when it went in (they were brand new panels!!)

I can give ya details for the place in Adelaide (didn't think to look at your location).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

Managed to do a bit today, made a bit of platework to clear the over engine strut.

Also started putting the new wing on, just clamped at this stage but getting closer....

Still in the tug of war of whether to paint myself or have it painted. Got a guy that works on MG's and other classics coming around next weekend to suss out the job and hopefully provide a quote. Exciting times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

A few more pics.... This time the right wing is welded in place and i've shown the over engine strut in place.

And the drive shafts have been machined, splined, heat treated and shot peened. Now just to have them straightened and either ground or post machined.... Long process! Also i've shown how it all goes together - just like the AE82 layshaft setup really...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Getting ever closer with this project. It is likely that the car will be completed within the next 2-3 months!!!

Hopefully that will mean engineering and passing registration tests by October allowing me to take this rocket to the minis at the mill..... and then probably Hay (on a trailer) too....

I seriously cannot wait to see this damn car come alive... it's been too many years and way too much time and money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Jeez I can't wait until I'm nearing the end....
GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:29 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Amos - Have you got any photos of your finished subframe at all?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ah.... It's hilarious when I read posts being hopeful of finishing... Still getting there.

Can anyone help on air control valves?

2 questions;

Is the control valve that plumbs to the underside of the throttle body (vacuum lines, not water lines) an idle control valve for power steering? It appears to bolt up to the rack/power steering unit? Pretty sure I can forget this one. Just want some confirmation.

Secondly, the control valve that bolts up to the no. 1 cylinder end of the inlet manifold. Is this an idle air control valve? And does it penetrate the manifold? I have a hole, so I presume so.

Appreciate any help.

And I've only just seen the question on the subframe (18 months later). Sorry. Yes I have pics. Just PM me and I'll send you a pic. Sorry don't have a computer at home at the moment.

Amos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 am 
998cc
998cc

amos wrote:
Ah.... It's hilarious when I read posts being hopeful of finishing... Still getting there.

Can anyone help on air control valves?

2 questions;

Is the control valve that plumbs to the underside of the throttle body (vacuum lines, not water lines) an idle control valve for power steering? It appears to bolt up to the rack/power steering unit? Pretty sure I can forget this one. Just want some confirmation.

Secondly, the control valve that bolts up to the no. 1 cylinder end of the inlet manifold. Is this an idle air control valve? And does it penetrate the manifold? I have a hole, so I presume so.
Amos

Do you mean this valve in my blog post? http://mearcatmini.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... valve.html The ICV bolts into the side of the inlet manifold (that cyl 1 hole you mentioned) side and runs behind the manifold via ~20mm steel tube and connects to the throttle body, the steel tube has a Tee-off to the steering rack - it's all used for idle control when steering is used at idle. Since we don't have power steering in the Minis, the inlet manifold hole and throttle body nipple can be blanked off and the ICV deleted.
I can send you a photo of the ICV, vaccum/hard lines assembly as it was pulled off my engine if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Alan, you're a legend. Thanks.

I don't have the valves to suss out as they weren't provided with the front cut. But you've just confirmed my suspicion. The one on the rack/ throttle body I was reasonably sure was power steering idle up. I didn't know (although it's connected) that the one on the opposite end of the inlet manifold was performing power steering idle up functions too.

That makes this weekend's job much easier. Plug and abandon!

Now to get the car off for some wiring. I don't trust my ability to make a wiring loom look like I want it to. I'm confident I'd get it running and ancillaries working, but it wouldn't be to a standard id be happy with looks wise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next