Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

^^^^ he's right, you cannot spend too much time in your shed!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

The latest work in my garage before the Mini work restarts is setting it all up - workbench, small paint booth, lathe bench (all custom made) and general cleanup. In the last 4 months, I've had enough get spare time to install most of the all the lighting & power outlets. The lighting finally allowed me to making progress at night rather than just wait for weekends. So far, the workbench finished...

It's an ALL STEEL frame weighing in at ~120kg for just the frame and 200kg+ with all drawers and tools stored. It's made from second hand 76x38mm patio tube with a 150x50mm tube as the front so I could have a 50mm overlap for clamping items to the bench if needed. Overall dimensions are 3.4m long x 0.8m deep. It's screwed to the two steel columns by only 4 Tek screws but the whole bench does not move at all.

The drawer boxes were made also from second hand MDF I sourced from a cabinet maker from their cover sheets. All drawer bases are 18mm MDF while the sides and fronts are 12mm MDF.

The benchtop is made from 18mm MDF (screwed to the steel frame) with a layer of 3mm masonite over the top. I also oiled the masonite which involves pouring and wiping any kind of engine oil over the board, let it soak it in (I used about 1 litre in the whole area!) and wipe off any excess. Finally, paint the frame and drawer front lot in enamel paint and then figure out where all my tools will be stored - which will probably evolve as I start using the garage a lot more.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:03 am 
998cc
998cc

Wow nice setup, that's decent work

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Looks very professional :!:

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:03 am 
998cc
998cc

Saw the first pic without reading wondering how you manages to weld timber to metal XD. then realised it was probably downpipe.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 am 
998cc
998cc

Hobson wrote:
Saw the first pic without reading wondering how you manages to weld timber to metal XD. then realised it was probably downpipe.

:D It's not downpipe - that's far too thin. It's standard patio frame tube which is 1.5mm thick, some was cream colour and the rest was bare galvanised.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:23 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have also (mostly) finished the paint booth. It's not something I will use frequently however I have more than enough room in my garage for it and it's very useful when I do use it, not to mention preventing any overspray on everything else in the garage. I did all the proper calculations to size the filter areas and fan size, as the booth I had at my old house always had an issue with not enough air flow.

I took advantage of an error that the grano made when pouring the slab and decided to use the 20mm gap between the slab & wall sheets as an exit point for the outlet. Two manifolds later and I had this (with the fan between them)

I clad the booth inside & out in 3mm MDF and painted it the same colour as the workbench. The roof is 6mm braceboard so I can store miscellaneous items on top (dashboards, door trims, timber sheets)

The booth is a cross-draft design with four filters across the width of the whole booth. This is the interior (note I have not built the bench inside yet) showing the exhaust manifold and the 200mm duct opening leading to the fan.

On the exterior, I have some compressed air fittings. The compressor will be located inside the booth with an flexible air line running from the compressor to the RHS of these fittings. Air will travel through the filter/regulator and then either travel down the LHS of the fittings back into the pant booth (for paint gun), or out to the air lines that run around the perimeter of the entire workshop. The switch next to the door will be for turning on the interior light, fan & compressor without having to enter the booth. I also have a small ball valve (red handle) in these fittings to purge the system of air when I've turned the compressor off. The fan on the left is a 635CFM/474CFM (high speed/low speed) axial fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

Noice although I am a fan of Adam savages "put everything on wheels"

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hobson wrote:
Noice although I am a fan of Adam savages "put everything on wheels"

A paint booth on wheels?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

You could certainly try

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

Fantastic work!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wheres the fridge?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Tonz wrote:
Wheres the fridge?

I've got a bar fridge on the other side of the garage, and there will be a sink installed between the workbench & paint booth :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

The bigger fabrication items for my workshop are almost done and the last one is for my metal lathe. I bought this over a year and a half ago and it was drowned in lanolin oil to prevent any surface rust forming on the machined surfaces and has been sitting under a sheet since then. The bench that came with it was far too short and I didn't want to be stooping over it while working so a custom one was made.

The bench had to be high enough for me, some space for some 3 drawer toolboxes I bought, a shelf for spare chuck/steadies etc and enough room underneath for the engine crane legs while installing the lathe.

The main feature of the bench is the massive 200x100x5mm beam that the lathe bolts to. This is a spanning/torsional beam and it locates the lathe accurately and prevents any flex. The end steel 100x50x3mm with the lower shelf just standard 76x38 patio tube left over from my workbench.

The bench (1320W x 890H x 450D) was easy to fabricate and painted the same colour as my workbench & paint booth. The lathe was lifted in place, bolted down and then I spent a couple of hours cleaning the lanolin off everything, wiping everything over with oil (standard motor oil), replacing the headstock/gearbox oil, oiling the ball oilers.

I had a precision engineers level which provides a ridiculously high accuracy of 0.02mm/metre and set the levels so there was no twist in the lathe bed. I got the twist to within ~0.03mm across the width of the lathe.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Love your work , looks so professional , wish i had those skills .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next