Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

JC wrote:
Hey alan the motor looks great.

Just spied the factory exhaust manifold. Not sure if you've mentioned it to date but are you replacing it?

Last bit under the pic ;)

Mearcat wrote:
The standard (restrictive) manifold will be kept for until it's registered and then replaced with a tubular manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 am 
998cc
998cc

That's what I said. However...

I have already purchased a tubular exhaust manifold (in mild steel, not stainless) and split/divorced dump pipe.

With the recent debates over here in Perth about the very expensive and badly implemented IM240 emissions testing policy on modified vehicles that the government had tried to implement over the last year or so, I WAS going to keep the exhaust setup as close to stock as I can for registration. However I discovered yesterday that as of a few weeks ago, the govt has backflipped on the regulations and so will be fitting the new manifold & dump pipe straight away (they will both be ceramic coated too).

For those in Perth/WA interested, see the bulletin here : http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_IB_124F_Changes_to_Emission_Testing_Light_Vehicles.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:24 am 
998cc
998cc

I recently bought a second hand split dump pipe off austarlet forums. It's a direct replacement for the factory catalytic converter but I had to modify the mount for it so it bolts onto the lower engine block and that the weight of the dump pipe & exhaust is not hanging directly off the turbo.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the separate wastegate pipe will foul against the front valance panel as it sits quite a bit further forward than the turbo. I (may) get the shell back in the coming weeks so I'll soon find out when I begin work on the subframe.

EDIT : 6 weeks later, I've started the front subframe customisation and found this dump pipe doesn't fit :( Specifically, the separate pipe for the wastegate is too far forward and fouls against both the front subframe bar.So I'll sell it and get another dump pipe later.

I also picked up my clutch which was rebuilt with a new organic heavy duty lining and a new pressure plate (with 2000lb clamping pressure, ~40% upgrade over standard). Flywheel was also machined and a new thrust bearing installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Just read the latest blog for this build.

Definitely going to be a show stopper. Looks brilliant so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 am 
998cc
998cc

My shell has been away getting rust repairs and deseaming done for a while and after many delays, I picked it up on the weekend. It had been gone for a day short of 6 months :shock: I didn't really want to start building the front subframe until I had the shell back, because a new front valance had to be fitted and you can never be 100% certain that location of the old subframe mount holes will be exactly the same as the new valance.

I'm currently juggling attending (too many) weddings, bucks day/nights, birthdays and dinners with seemingly minimal Mini-time, but I hope to make some good progress on the subframe and (fingers crossed) finish it in the coming couple of weeks.

Until then, here are some pics of the shell. New panels fitted were front valance, rear bumper section, both sills and both footwells. Small rust repairs were numerous. A & C pillars and rear bumper have been deseamed. Unfortuantely, at closer inspection, I'm not really happy with the average quality of the welds (gasless MIG was used), finishing and rust repairs so if you want to know who not to take your shell to, just PM me.

Last edited by Mearcat on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

You will be busy.... go for it and get it done!!!

Cheers, Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good work Al
Must be good to have the car back and making some
progress :D

Cheers Hallsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

Nice on Al... good to see some progress with the shell.

It just so happens i'm doing bodywork at the moment too! Does anyone have suggestions as to what sort of paint removal method to use? Pros and cons for Soda blasting, bead blasting, sand/garnet blasting, acid dipping etc etc..

I know acid dipping removes all of the sealant and I believe is more work than it's worth.

I'd like to get the paint removal done to reveal all bog and rust areas and then spend some days patching where the rust is, place new panels and then get the prime done.

What are your moves (re: bodywork) from here Al?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:51 pm 
998cc
998cc

amos wrote:
It just so happens i'm doing bodywork at the moment too! Does anyone have suggestions as to what sort of paint removal method to use? Pros and cons for Soda blasting, bead blasting, sand/garnet blasting, acid dipping etc etc.
What are your moves (re: bodywork) from here Al?

There's plenty of discussion around on pros & cons of blasting type on the forum - just search.

My next move on the shell is to strip back the replacement boot/bumper section that was welded in - to check if there's any worse rust (or holes) under that paint. The I need to organise to complete the welding that wasn't finished when I picked the shell up. After that, most of the "development" work will be done on my guinea pig front cut I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

I don't normally post minor parts of the build here, but I thought this may be handy for others while trying to position the engine in the correct spot.

It's been mentioned in a few other builds that the engine needs to be tilted forward a bit to stop the intake manifold from fouling against the bulkhead, and after some lateral thinking of how to get the engine correctly positioned without the use of a heap of jacks or stands, I came up with this. I measured how high I wanted the CV cups and drilled a hole at that height in a 100mm square block of pine so that a long bolt passes through the block and into another piece of wood that was cut (like the shape of a tri-bearing) and put into the CV cup.

I was then able to drop the crane height and the engine rotated around the axis of the driveshaft and so easily tilted forward.

A little bit of tweaking the position back & forth and I now have the engine in it's final position so I can fabricate the engine mounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 am 
998cc
998cc

Nice idea! 8)

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Brilliant idea Al

That would save a lot of stuffing around

nice work :D :D

Cheers Hallsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:47 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Up there for thinking.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

A milestone has been achieved (finally). I have quite distracted since October since so many friends have been getting married, and too many friends and family have been wanting their cars serviced or repaired. The last one left the garage this morning and have said no more until I get a solid few weeks of Mini work.

I have made slow progress on the subframe and as of today, have completed the engine mounts :D :D So this is what's been happening in the last 3 months...

The front brace bar (this is before the valance was fitted to the shell) was fabricated.

As usual, the front of original subframe was cut away and a frame was tacked together to enforce the subframe position.

Spars (using 32mm OD tube w/ 3mm wall thickness) have been bent up and welded in place, ensuring that the drivers' side spar did not foul against any pulleys or future belts.

The engine was positioned in the engine bay (with subframe fitted) and I measured some key distances from the engine to subframe. Those measurements were then replicated with the subframe and engine in the JIG and then the engine was bolted/welded in place using some steel bar front & back with wood holding the CV cups up as well.

One bar on either side of the turbo and one on the gearbox

One bar on the gearbox, one on the intake manifold and one on the equaliser driveshaft bracket (if you look carefully)

Now here is the major difference in my subframe compared to those done so far. I am using rubber "cotton-reel" type mounts from a V8 Land Rover for the front & side mounts. They are much more compact than the Starlet mounts and given they are designed for a V8, they will be more than strong enough for this engine. I put the idea of using these mounts past my engineer and he saw no problem with it.

This was my first attempt - mounted at a 45 degree angles, but then after talking to a local Land Rover workshop, I relalised the correct angle used in the V8's is 30 degrees, but I don't have a pic of the correct one.

The side mount was was made from some shaped steel plate (all plate used was 6mm) contoured around the spars.

The side engine mount bracket ended up looking like this. Due to the position of one of the bolts, I had to cut away the corner of the angled plate and weld in section of tube so that the bolt could still be used.

The front engine mount used not only a custom section, but the brace that was used in the original Starlet mount was cut and re-welded to bolt to the custom bracket with a blind nut, so that it provides some additonal support between the bracket and the top of the gearbox.

Using a Land Rover V8 mount for the rear engine mount was going to make fitting the engine a bit tricky due to the bolts cast in the rubber mount all pointing inward, so I decided to use the Starlet mount and have the rubber (which was cracked and perished anyway) recast in Polyurethane.

I trimmed down the stock mount.

cut off the "wings", added some 3mm plate and made a type of box section as well as adding a third bolt hole.

The rubber was badly cracked in the mount so using a chisel and dremel, it was all cut out

The new polyurethane cast - in Shore 65 hardeness. This is still quite hard for the mount so as per suggesstion of the casting company, I drilled a series of 8mm holes to provide some further flexibility

So to figure out where to bolt this, some 5mm plate was cut to fit between the wings for the mount to bolt to (only tack welded for now)

The mount was clamped into the final position, which gave enough clearance to the to the engine bracket (you can see the single piece of plate bolted to the rear of the gearbox in this pic). The remainder of the bracket was measured and built around the position of the clamped mount

The final design

I marked, drilled some holes, welded some M12 nuts in place and that's that. The engine can now sit freestanding :D :D

Last edited by Mearcat on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

Very nice. Looks like you are making some good progress.

Just make sure you keep those blasted other car's out of your garage now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next