Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Any updates AL

Hows the ankle

Cheers Hallsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 pm 
998cc
998cc

The ankle is sore but getting better by the day. The orthopedic surgeon said I apparently tore a ligament as well but I think due to the relative minor nature of the fracture, he was happy to have the cast removed early (this week) so it was on for only ~4 wks instead of 6. He advised that I wear my lace-up workboots for another few weeks to support the ankle though. I don't care what I have to wear - I'm mobile and can drive!!

No progress on the Mini itself, but while the cast was on I have been spending many hours with just me, a multimeter and the Starlet wiring loom laid out over my pool table... documenting connectors, wires, pinouts etc. I am putting together a reference doc with photos and misc details of every connector in the main loom, wiring diagram for ECU & it's peripherals (for a Gen 1 EP82 Starlet). I don't have the rear loom so I still need to confirm what some of the specific wires are for and still need to figure out what Air-con wiring/relays/components I can strip out - which will be everything except the fan/blower wiring & fuse.

On another note, I've purchased the Lincoln 180C MIG welder this week so will be able to finish of all the welding required on the body/brackets etc myself when I get back into it. My wife is pregnant with our first spawn so the welder was my Fathers Day present that I convinced her I was entitled to :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 am 
998cc
998cc

Congrats Alan! :D

On the ankle, the new welder and the spawn! :lol:

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:13 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Gosh Alan, you did well there - a pre-father Fathers day present!!!

Excellent!!! :wink:

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

geez, all i got for Father's Day was a new shaver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ha ha ha... :lol:

Pre-fathers day present - classic!!

Man you are a machine with documenting your work, we need more engineers like you at our work..

I'm interested to see it, I have some random questions re: wiring loom..

Good to hear about the ankle on the mend.

Amos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 pm 
998cc
998cc

I got to use the new welder today by doing what everybody probably does when they buy a welder that's 30kg and not really that portable... make a trolley for it.

I had tried the Lincoln 180C recently with gasless wire and was relatively impressed with the welds and lack of spatter but once I got a bottle of Argon/CO2 and used it with mine, I was simply amazed at the quality and cleanliness of the welds the machine can produce. The quick reference table (in side the wire feed door) for setting the wire feed rate and voltage depending on what gauge steel you're using is quite accurate and requires minimal tweaking of once you start welding.

This was about the 10th weld I did today - so clean compared to an arc stick weld.

It's a very well built machine producing great quality welds even with 1.2mm sheet I tried it on today, and would highly recommend it to anyone with a budget of around $1K. I would also recommend using gas as the welds are far better than gasless wire. I am usinfg Migshield M1 (from Air Liquide) which is basically the same as BOC Argoshield light.

Progress on documenting the Starlet wiring loom is progressing well and have lost count of the number of hours I've spent poring over the looms with a pen/paper and multimeter. I've sent a draft to 'amos' and it has certainly helped him so far. I will hope to complete the document (currently 17 pages and 48Mb) in the next few weeks. It documents a scale drawing of the two main looms, photos and ID of every connector, wiring colours for most connectors, conduction tables for things like Ignition, Lights & Indicators. Then there is fuses, relays, ECU pinouts, and wiring diagram of the instrument cluster. It will end up being the most comprehensive document that anyone has seen (and most of the wiring details are close to the EP91) and it will be free for anyone to reference.

Last edited by Mearcat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:12 am 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

Mearcat wrote:
It will end up being the most comprehensive document that anyone has seen (and most of the wiring details are close to the EP82) and it will be free for anyone to reference.

Wow, all I can say is thanks for putting in the effort and then put it out onto the internet for free! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:35 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I did the same thing when I got my new welder, built a trolley for it. I had never really welded before but had the jist of it under control. The gasless wire does spatter heaps, I havnt tried gas on mine yet. Only for the tig which uses argon and they tell me that's no good for mig. So I'll have to rent another bottle of argoshield light. The wire is much cheaper too and will probably work out cheaper anyways...

I can't wait for the freebie wiring documents :lol: I am hopefuly getting my van up here in about a month and I'll start piecing it together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have spent many hours of work on the engine bay & cabin wiring looms for my EP82 Starlet, documenting as much as I can with what I was provided with my front cut. I wasn't given the door looms or the rear loom, but have managed to figure out most of the connections except for the exact wiring for power windows and power mirrors. My front cut had no ABS either so ABS details have been included.

This PDF (10Mb, 18 pages) documents :
The layout (to scale) of the two main wiring looms
A photo, ID, pinouts of every connector with wiring colours from each
Conduction tables for the combination switches (lighting, indicators, wipers)
Fuse & relay ID's and pinouts of every relay
Wiring diagram of the instrument cluster (for my Gen 1 EP82)

The Pista de resistance is a wiring digram that covers every fuse, every relay, every switch in the car. This is a diagram that has been asked for so many times on multiple forums, yet no-one has been able to provide one.

I estimate I have easily spent over 150 hours on this in the last 2 months and am providing it free. Download it, have a look and if anyone has any suggestions of how to improve it, just let me know. I will be doing a final checkover of the document vs loom in the next few days so the PDF may be updated however it will remain on my website. I will soon post it on a few Starlet forums as well.

http://www.mearcat.com.au/docs/EP82%20Starlet%20Wiring%20and%20Connectors.pdf
If the above link doesn't work, it's available here : http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/wiki/EP82wiring/EP82%20Starlet%20Wiring%20and%20Connectors.pdf
Updated version of the doc : https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community ... -pdf.3898/

Please note that although this was specifically written for the EP82, much of the details will relate to the EP91 Starlet also.

Last edited by Mearcat on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Holy S**t that is awesome.
I think we all owe you a beer if we meet up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I havnt looked at it yet but I am saying thank you!! I'll get the mrs to print it out for me so I can start to work out what wiring I'm going to use and not use.

Have you finished wiring your car up or was figuring it all out just the beginning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:48 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Hi Alan,

That is a very concise, accurate and well-presented document.
Truly, a brilliant piece of work!

Thankyou for making it available to Ausmini and the wider community.
A job very well done!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 am 
998cc
998cc

Mearcat wrote:
I wasn't given the door looms or the rear loom, but have managed to figure out most of the connections except for the exact wiring for power windows and power mirrors. My front cut had no ABS either so ABS details have been included.

Your work is truly an inspiration!

Have you posted the request for the door wiring on the starlet forums?
Someone might have a spare door lying around you can look at / pull apart or even a spare shell.
Worth a try... :wink:

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:56 am 
998cc
998cc

'77 clubby van wrote:
Have you posted the request for the door wiring on the starlet forums?
Someone might have a spare door lying around you can look at / pull apart or even a spare shell.
Worth a try... :wink:

To be honest, I've spent so much time on this I'm pretty much over it (and I want my pool table back). Here I was thinking it should only take a few weekends and I just kept documenting more and more detail :roll: Since I'm not going to be using the Starlet loom for the power windows or mirrors, I see no point buying some door looms just so I can document it but never use it, even if it for the good of the greater community. I want to get back into the rest of the build.

The best thing I've found after producing the wiring diagram is finding out how easy it will be to remove certain parts. There are a parts which are solely used by the HVAC system and can be completely removed - e.g Vacuum switch & Idle Up valve mounted to the Starlet firewall, a coolant temperature sensor in the thermostat housing, ambient temperature sensor, 3 relays for the A/C Condenser fan. The headlight reminder can be easily integrated back into the Mini too.

Gordo - The time I've spent on this is ONLY for documenting it. The wiring has not been anywhere near the Mini yet. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next