Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 28  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

When I modified the pedal, I did note that the extra height changes the fulcrum of the pedal assembly and would make the accelerator movement more sensitive but at the time I didn't know whether it would actually be an issue - I haven't driven the car and because no previous conversions/threads had mentioned it!

As glenno has stated, it would be easy enough to move the pedal mounting point (the two bolts on the firewall) higher with two new bolts, then slice up /reweld the pedal to move the pivot point to the higher point - this would certainly change the fulcrum and decrease the sensitivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have wondered the same thing actually. I figured I'll try it out and of it's a problem I'd try to machine up a larger diameter throttle quadrant.

Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:10 am 
848cc
848cc

I did think of that too Madmorrie - but when I looked into it - the quadrant would have to be quite considerable in size. And with the Honda's, the quadrant is shaped so that say the first third of operation is not so sensitive, then the radius of the quadrant reduces quickly so as you stand on the throttle, it opens quicker..... I'll take some pic's over weekend.

When I first did my throttle, you could not get the car to pull away without bunny hoping - car would bump forward-throttle off-car dies-throttle on-car bumps forward.....yarda yarda

Now it's more of a nice fuller movement - big car felling I guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 am 
998cc
998cc

Ha, my Dad has somewhere an asymetric plastic throttle quadrant that was sold in the sixties as an accessory that sounds just like what you describe. i think it was for a Morris 1100 too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Stock civic throttle quadrant

Current integra

Throttle cable entry point - the ferrule is about 3 inches long and pokes through the box section into the cabin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Yep Alan, I am ging to use an eccentric cam throttle quadrant on mine too - Rocket Industries have them to suit.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Any details on these quadrants Tricky?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I will try and find the link again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

Archangel007 wrote:
Hi Alan,

Yes, it concerned me too about the engine movement and I guess it depends on the condition and age of the standard mounts. Some people say it moves, some say not at all.

If mine prove to be unsatisfactory, I am going the Powerflex mounts like Hallsey. But I agree, engine steady is a good and cheap option - well done!!

Ahh yes, moving house, I know what thats like. Looks like we will be moving too come mid-next year. The shed will be a huge bonus and allow you to complete the conversion twice as fast!! All the best with it Al!!!

Cheers,
Tricky

I too had issues with excessive engine movement with the standard (old) mounts. Changed to Powerflex and have no problems at all.
Didn't notice any real change in vibration through the car during idle, but its definitely much better under power / gear changes!

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am 
998cc
998cc

I thought I'd give a quick update on why things are not moving on my build.

We have sold our house and are moving (again :roll: ) in about 6 weeks. To make the place presentable for home opens my wife told me I had to have most of my workshop, tools, mini parts, panels etc etc packed, so I couldn't get any work done for almost 2 months. But now we're ready to move. I have to erect a big 7.7L x 6.2W x 2.7H gable garage (just for me and the Mini :D ) at the new place but then we've got a full house renovation and extension to do as well. I can't see me being able to get any time to work on the Mini for at least the next 6 months.

I refuse to admit defeat and the Mini WILL BE FINISHED!! When? Well, how long is a piece of string?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I hear you Al!!!

Its these 'issues' that keep getting in the way!!

All the best of luck with the new digs though, and getting the Mini finished!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:01 am 
998cc
998cc

Since moving house in April, the Mini has been sitting under a tarp in the patio waiting for it's new home. I have had time on weekends to sort out and erect a new garage, a DIY install kit from Stratco - 7.7m long x 6.2m wide, 2.7m wall height, gable roof and 2 sliding doors. In our old house I had half of a double garage and a small workshop area so this gives me almost twice the area I had before.

First job was to remove heaps of bushes & trees, then shift ~10m3 of sand for the slab with a Kanga digger I hired. This was 8 hours of fun and made very light work of shifting the sand.

The slab was poured soon after. The orange and white conduits at the front are for power supply and future comms (CAT6/Phone/TV). The white ones at the back are for water inlet and waste drain. The gutters (not yet fitted) will feed some water drums which in turn will supply a sink in the garage. Right at the back of the photo, there is a 2nd orange conduit for potential future power use (pump/compressor/other).

I then waited 3-4 weeks for the concrete to cure before I painted it with a industrial grade 2 part epoxy paint to provide a hard wearing, water/oil/chemical resistance barrier. Unfortunately I was pushing my luck by doing this in June over a couple of days where the weather was supposed to be good. There was a bit of rain on the slab from a cold night after the 2nd coat of paint was applied and about 1/4 of the slab was shaded for most of the the next day so it affected that part of the paint before it had 100% cured - it has lost it's gloss which the paint rep has advised won't affect the performance, but unfortunately looks quite blotchy. The rest is a nice gloss grey colour. The garage kit was delivered in the same week.

So over the next few weekends where time permitted, a few mates & I erected the garage. In this photo you can see on the right part of the slab how the water has affected the appearance of the epoxy paint before it completely cured. I may decide to repaint this side of the slab before the garage gets fitted out.

As of last weekend, it's complete and now the Mini has a proper weatherproof home instead of being stuck under a tarp in a patio for the last 3-4 months. All the Mini & Starlet parts and my tools have been moved into the garage but soon, so will about 1/3 of everything in the house. The extension on our house begins next week which involves demolishing the entire back wall of the house and the garage is temporary storage space until it's complete. Until then, I'm happy that the garage is complete but the Mini project (still) lays dormant.

Last edited by Mearcat on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey peeps. I have an update! ... of non-progress.

I look back at when I started the project in 2009 (with no kids and a newly built house) and was hoping to have the entire project finished within a couple of years of casual work. By 2013, a house move, child #1 running around, and a self-directed house extension & renovation was keeping me extremely busy. With literally every square inch of the 5 bed 2 bath house inside/out getting renovated, replaced, fixed, painted, wired etc etc and a majority the work done by only me on weekends and some weeknights, I struggle for any spare time outside of my family and house reno duties. Now with child #2 in the mix (born 3 months ago) and the recent decision to owner-build an additional unit/flat on the block and a double brick garage attached to the house, restarting on the Mini build gets postponed again and again.

The Mini shell and all it's boxed/wrapped parts collect dust in my big garage... taunting me every time I slide the door open to get my tools for the building renovations and construction.

:cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:00 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Mearcat wrote:
Hey peeps. I have an update! ... of non-progress.

I look back at when I started the project in 2009 (with no kids and a newly built house) and was hoping to have the entire project finished within a couple of years of casual work. By 2013, a house move, child #1 running around, and a self-directed house extension & renovation was keeping me extremely busy. With literally every square inch of the 5 bed 2 bath house inside/out getting renovated, replaced, fixed, painted, wired etc etc and a majority the work done by only me on weekends and some weeknights, I struggle for any spare time outside of my family and house reno duties. Now with child #2 in the mix (born 3 months ago) and the recent decision to owner-build an additional unit/flat on the block and a double brick garage attached to the house, restarting on the Mini build gets postponed again and again.

The Mini shell and all it's boxed/wrapped parts collect dust in my big garage... taunting me every time I slide the door open to get my tools for the building renovations and construction.

:cry:

don't worry - you'll get your time back eventually, and the mini will still be there. Don't give up and sell it, you'll regret that forever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

simon k wrote:
don't worry - you'll get your time back eventually, and the mini will still be there. Don't give up and sell it, you'll regret that forever

I do agree. Doing this engine conversion & build has been a dream of mine for over a decade so what's another year or so eh? The good thing about the Mini & all the stuff being stored my separate 48m2 garage is that it's not getting in the way of anything. I think I'm just getting withdrawal symptoms :)

Sell it? No freakin' way!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 28  Next