Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ah,,, it was just that i got talking with the boys that make stuff & they suggested that particular material because we`re swinging the crank into 5x thin "pillars" (for want of a better description) for the mains, so wanted some pretty tough stuff for the support & to help reduce the chances of any distortion in that dept. we`re using steel main caps for it tho, & we`re at the stage we`re looking at trying to make a main cap cradle for it, but doesn`t look like we have the room.

i don`t really care what it costs, it`s my little baby & i`ll spoil it all i like :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Ah, fair enough... well, you can rest assured that you are in no danger of having any trouble due to the material you've used, Its about as good as ally gets :) It actually has a higher tensile rating than a lot of steels :lol: (and no, that wasn't a joke :shock: )

Yeah I didn't consider that.... most other modern 5 main engines have a fair chunk between cylinders..... seeing as this needs to fit in a mini guess you'd probably need to squish it up so it wouldn't have the support other engines do....

Look forward to seeing this thing rockin and rollin :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
i don`t really care what it costs, it`s my little baby & i`ll spoil it all i like :-)

Oi..............step to the other side of the shop and spend some spoiling time on my little baby :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ha ha, hey Ian, good to see you here mate

we`re gonna test this one out in your moke aren`t we??? :-) :-) :-)

Phatty, if you get a chance to see the insides of an R1 case half , then you`ll see what i mean about how tight they are in there :-) :-) :-) so , seeing as the yammys (well all bike case halves i spose) are just cast, well,,, need i say anymore about the strength of mine?

(says that crossing fingers that it doesn`t blow up on the first outing now i`ve said that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
.....Phatty, if you get a chance to see the insides of an R1 case half , then you`ll see what i mean about how tight they are in there :-) :-) :-) so , seeing as the yammys (well all bike case halves i spose) are just cast, well,,, need i say anymore about the strength of mine?

(says that crossing fingers that it doesn`t blow up on the first outing now i`ve said that)

Yeah I know what you're saying, and that's what I meant when I said because you are machining it out of a billet its going to be stronger anyway.... even with out using the same material that NASA use for their space shuttles :) ally castings are always gummy, but they're still strong enough to do the trick... even in turbo charged hayabusa engines putting out 380hp... So if you're using 7075 it will stand up to anything you can do to it without batting an eye lid :)

I haven't seen inside an R1 but I don't see the bores being pitched any wider than a GSXR 1000 or a CBR1000.... its gotta fit sideways in a bike, so it's gotta be tight..... there isn't room for wide pitching....

I just reckon its impressive that you actually bought 7000 series aluminium.... I showed the guys I work with the photo of your billet and their jaws hit the ground too. There just isn't any comparing the strength of this to a cast ally block.... if you have any problems, it won't be because of the material you've chosen :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

This is a complete thread mine! I was scrolling through to find my first post and this thread popped up. I remember this idea. Did anything progress miniman??
For all i know there could be another thread on this already :s

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:01 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Stopped work on it after a CNC crash, got the other lump of alloy & starting again
waiting for some time on a 5-axis machine, i`ve been grooming a relationship with a friend of mine`s friend
Murwilumbah area will have a full-house race track soon (Hopefully) & the owner of said property has a 5-axis machine & some german guy running it, i`m becoming good buddys with Derick the owner :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
TheMiniMan wrote:
Stopped work on it after a CNC crash, got the other lump of alloy & starting again
waiting for some time on a 5-axis machine, i`ve been grooming a relationship with a friend of mine`s friend
Murwilumbah area will have a full-house race track soon (Hopefully) & the owner of said property has a 5-axis machine & some german guy running it, i`m becoming good buddys with Derick the owner :-)

And lucky for me I am good buddy's with you Matt!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:13 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Straight from the Edward Lewis school of sucking-up Archangel007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5rMvo3Clc

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:11 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Well lucky for everyone involved it was tongue-in-cheek eh!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:19 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Archangel007 wrote:
Well lucky for everyone involved it was tongue-in-cheek eh!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am 
998cc
998cc

Very nice. Its a bit of a crazy project so i hope it doesnt fall off the radar. Love people pushing the envelope!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:24 pm 
998cc
998cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
......a friend of mine`s friend
Murwilumbah area will have a full-house access road (Hopefully) & the owner of said property....

Fixed it for you Matt!