Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Conversion Advice
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey all,
Im just looking for a little bit of advice on a conversion im planning. Im considering putting a 4AGE in my clubman. I had considered doing a starlet conversion, but with some investigation i think that the 4AGE would be a better option, especially because i have a mate with two of them sitting around. I have seen a few people have done it on different forums, so i believe it should be do-able.

Im having a friend build the subframe for me, he has a fair bit of experience putting toyota engines when they weren't designed to go, and after browsing the forums a bit he's fairly confident.

Spoke to an engineer today about whats required to get the car in roadworthy condition and he pretty much said i should see it there is an "off the shelf" subframe i could buy. pretty much said it wasn't worth building one. so he was no help.

I thought i would speak to some people who have experience with mini engine conversions. Can anyone help me out with some advice?
what are the engineering issues people have faced with their engine conversions?
Is a 4AGE really going to be do-able?
Is there anyone in particular i should speak to, engineering wise or just generally, that has experience with these sorts of conversions?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the fold. I have a 4age in my corolla and it is a great motor, I am hoping the 4efte I'm installing in my Morris 1100 will go as well. (It should, more 20kws more power)

I am using an engineer called Frank Fordham, based in ringwood. He was quite keen on the project from the outset and has looked over my home made frame (welded by someone else) and given it the OK with some suggestions.

I did ring one engineer who basically said he wasn't interested cause it sounded too complex, so it is worth shopping around. Not sure how people have gone with 'off-the-shelf' frames. They look good, but you're probably paying double by the time you have to get it engineered anyway. And I've never heard of one to fit the 4AGE anyway. The 4EFTE is about 60mm shorter I think. I'd probably do research and base your design on a commercial one, but get it made locally and save on the shipping etc...

Good luck with it all.

Cheers
Madmorrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the advice. I might have to have a word to the engineer your using because he sounds much more interested. when i spoke to the engineer the other day he was pretty useless, pretty much wasn't interested because it sounded too hard.

i was originally wanting to do a 4efte but when i spoke to the guy who is building the subframe he seemed to think the 4age was about the same size and a much stronger motor for its size.

Im a bit new to this as i don't have much experience with minis. i usually work on 90s japanese cars. My goal is to put something under the bonnet that could make around the 100kw mark, so i believe a conversion is my only real option value for money wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

swift gti conversion, makes 100 hp on a stock motor, internals good for 200hp so can easy be turbo'd. great power, reliable good motor. 1.3 twin cam. Im currently doing a conversion on it, well its done just gota put it all back together after its painted.

PM if u need ANY info :)

Goodluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

jordie_mini wrote:
swift gti conversion, makes 100 hp on a stock motor, internals good for 200hp so can easy be turbo'd. great power, reliable good motor. 1.3 twin cam. Im currently doing a conversion on it, well its done just gota put it all back together after its painted.

PM if u need ANY info :)

Goodluck

But how well do the gearboxes last?
And a 4efe (non-turbo 4efte) makes 100 hp and has a factory turbo install you can put on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

4age's are good engines, I was originally going to fit one in my car but went the 4efte route due to it being smaller and lighter.
In SA they frown upon cutting too much of the car to fit a replacement engine and the 4age would have required the whole inner guard cut out.
I know people have fitted 4age's but I think they are too heavy and would upset the balance of the car to much. That's my 2 cent's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

gearboxes are good aswell, no problems with them, so far haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:32 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Check that you are allowed to turbo a non-turbo motor in your state before commiting to something like a turbo'd GTi motor. As it's very difficult in SA to the point where it's not worth bothering unless it's an A-series Mini engine you want to boost. Whereas a factory turbo motor is much easier to register legally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:39 pm 
998cc
998cc

Treble wrote:
Im a bit new to this as i don't have much experience with minis. i usually work on 90s japanese cars. My goal is to put something under the bonnet that could make around the 100kw mark, so i believe a conversion is my only real option value for money wise.

4efte is 100kw standard with plenty or room for improvement.
I got 102kw @ the front wheels basically standard & as regoed. Its so much fun! :lol:

As said, the 4age are a better engine, but wider (and heavier) than the 4efte and this makes them harder to fit. (The UK ones usually have massive wheel track increase.

The Swift GTI are a good engine too, but without a turbo standard, you will have problems bolting a turbo on, if you want to keep it road legal. Engineers don't like changing things that effect emissions too much. :?

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 pm 
998cc
998cc

Treble, where abouts are you in Melbourne. If you want to have a ride or a chat or just a look Just PM. I'm near Werribee or there is Hallsey with a 4efte mini just completed on the Mornington Peninsula if you're on that side of the bay. :lol:

We're both always keen to show off our conversions!

Toyota 4EFTE Powered Minivan.
102 Kw @ The Front Wheels....Oh What a Feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am 
848cc
848cc

Hrrmm, perhaps a 4efte is a better idea. i hadn't really considered weight.

'77 clubby, Im in Mount Waverley, would love to come have a look sometime. ill have to throw you PM at some point.