Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 am 
848cc
848cc

Hey Guys,

As you can probably tell i am new to these forums, i am also in the early processes of starting my mini conversion. I have been wanting to do this for years but have not had the time.

My plan is to take a Stock Leyland Mini and strip it back to bare and then build it back up running a 4EFTE Manual with a EP95 AWD System.

I already have a plan for the rear subframe (http://www.superfastminis.com/ these guys have a complete replacement rear subframe suited for an AWD Drive system, they use it for Honda, but i dont see there being much that would need to change for the Toyota Diff etc). I am currently stuck with organising the front subframe. Does anyone have any design drawings, or the ability to create a front subframe? Or even able to point me in the right direction to sort out a subframe.

Any help is appreciated, this forum has solidified my need to create this mini project.

Cheers

Last edited by Insomniattic on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey,

Welcome!

I think you better find your local certifier and have a talk with him about your plans.
AWD would not be impossible in NZ, but you will not be able to bolt in a diff, via a modified rear subframe, into a mini as the yanks or poms do. The car will need chassis rails made from 3"x2" box, linking diff, gearbox and engine..... almost a scratch built car with a mini body on.

And you'll have to run the gauntlet of the usual red tape, like calc's/drawings for suspension/steering turn, etc.

Not impossible, but a heck of a lot of work.

But as I've said, pay to check/align yourself with a certifier here in NZ for the low down.

Keep us posted

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:57 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Great project! I hope it goes well; certification can be a pain but it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Your first port of call, if you haven't been there already, is the LVVTA forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey guys, thanks for the replys.

Yeah i have thought a bit on this project and am pretty keen on the plan.
Yeah i have recently started talking to a LVVTA certifier and am drawing up a plan.
I will keep you guys updated with the plan once i have it drawn up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Best of luck champ and I would love to see it come to fruition!!

Cheers,
Tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am 
1098cc
1098cc

For the Australians on here, here's a brief run-down on modified vehicles in NZ:

The government wanted to make modified vehicles safer, so rather than let the government regulate the industry, interested groups (motorsport bodies and the hot rod association) formed the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association. They have technical advisers and registered certifying engineers who administer, advise and certify modifications to ensure that modified vehicle are safe. It works well since they want to approve modified vehicles since they're largely car nuts anyway.

They publish guidelines on seat mounts, steering geometry, brakes, suspension etc and assist in getting vehicles roadworthy. They can be quite pedantic or unnecessarily strict though. For example, I fitted hi-los to my estate, which meant the car now needs to meet the braking standard which no drum braked mini can, even though there's no other changes to the car. Doesn't make sense really, and they know it but overall it's a great, self-managed scheme. It also means blokes selling modified vehicles have to get it signed off by an engineer otherwise no-one will buy it. So out go all the chain link steering wheels, dodgy lowered suspension (cut springs etc) and V8s dropped into Anglias without any other upgrades.

Getting this mini through certifying will be a bit of a mission but the certifiers give loads of great advice. I got plans for a flip front on my saloon approved quite easily but haven't got around to starting the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 am 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, it will be a bit of a mission, but i believe it is possible.
The plan includes replacing all brakes in the mini with disc brakes, purely because i want this project to meet every standard the LVVTA has and then some.

I am hoping to have the basic plan for the chassis structure to the LVVTA engineer very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Angusdog wrote:
For the Australians on here, here's a brief run-down on modified vehicles in NZ:

The government wanted to make modified vehicles safer, so rather than let the government regulate the industry, interested groups (motorsport bodies and the hot rod association) formed the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association. They have technical advisers and registered certifying engineers who administer, advise and certify modifications to ensure that modified vehicle are safe. It works well since they want to approve modified vehicles since they're largely car nuts anyway.

They publish guidelines on seat mounts, steering geometry, brakes, suspension etc and assist in getting vehicles roadworthy. They can be quite pedantic or unnecessarily strict though. For example, I fitted hi-los to my estate, which meant the car now needs to meet the braking standard which no drum braked mini can, even though there's no other changes to the car. Doesn't make sense really, and they know it but overall it's a great, self-managed scheme. It also means blokes selling modified vehicles have to get it signed off by an engineer otherwise no-one will buy it. So out go all the chain link steering wheels, dodgy lowered suspension (cut springs etc) and V8s dropped into Anglias without any other upgrades.

Getting this mini through certifying will be a bit of a mission but the certifiers give loads of great advice. I got plans for a flip front on my saloon approved quite easily but haven't got around to starting the work.

I know of a drum braked mini that went through the process, including meeting the braking standard, no problem.

All it requires is two successive stops from 100kph to 0, with the braking time taking less than 4.4 seconds (from memory). The rules are about g force etc, but the timed stop is how it's usually tested. My drums never faded in two stops. 3 or 4 maybe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 am 
1098cc
1098cc

The certifier I'm using also said the pedal pressure needs to be under a certain force, so I whacked a booster on (vented metro four pots). It stops like a demon, but cost heaps and is overkill. That was perhaps a year ago and I think he's unnecessarily harsh (it's still running an 1100 but I have metro motor to go in soon) but a nice bloke. I could have perhaps rang around the mini scene to find one a little more lenient, but he's the closest by a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Angusdog wrote:
The certifier I'm using also said the pedal pressure needs to be under a certain force, so I whacked a booster on (vented metro four pots). It stops like a demon, but cost heaps and is overkill. That was perhaps a year ago and I think he's unnecessarily harsh (it's still running an 1100 but I have metro motor to go in soon) but a nice bloke. I could have perhaps rang around the mini scene to find one a little more lenient, but he's the closest by a long way.

Huh ok, hadn't heard about the pedal pressure, maybe it's new. Would love to know how they measure that while trying to bring a mini to a quick stop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:09 am 
848cc
848cc

Ok well the first step of the project is done. I have purchased the two shells (One for me and one for my mate who is helping with the build).

They are coming up from Christchurch and we are then going to strip them and sell the parts as they both come pretty much complete, both with engines by the way. One is said to be an 850 and the other a 1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 am 
848cc
848cc

Also the LVVTA document says that the max braking effect must be acheived with a pedal force of no more than 68kg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am 
848cc
848cc

Angusdog wrote:

The government wanted to make modified vehicles safer, so rather than let the government regulate the industry, interested groups (motorsport bodies and the hot rod association) formed the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association.

The government actually wanted to do away with modified vehicles full stop and make vehicle modification illegal. Basically spell the end to our countries obsession with tinkering with our cars. It was only at the eleven hour that Tony Johnston, backed by the Hotrod association etc, saw the writing on the walls and had to petition hard to create the system we know today. Better the the devil you know....... definately in this whole case I say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:44 am 
848cc
848cc

UPDATE!!

Ok guys the project has now turned into two minis (a friend of mine likes the idea and wants to do it aswell)
So we have purchased two minis, and they have arrived at my place. We are now onto parting the beasts out.
So if anyone knows anyone that might want a part/s let me know, i have already sold my 998cc engine and front subframe, we still have a 850cc engine available aswell as 2 rear subframes and one front subframe. Also have interiors including seats, steering wheels etc etc so drop me a message.

Cheers guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:31 pm 
Yay For Hay!

interesting stuff about NZ rules :)

best of luck with the builds