Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Revisiting this topic/thread, http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78217&highlight=, anyone out there started one of these projects as yet? Any progress on your home brew kit MiniMan?

Naught happening at my end, almost bought a project shell the other day, but it has a sunroof and might actually be a Spanish built Authi, so not sure if I want it or not... Also almost bought a roadworthy 2002 R1 (so 5PW engine) for $5200 (with the intention of breaking it to recoup a bit of the cost), had 42000km on the clock... But as I don't realistically know how long it'll be till I can actually undertake this project (and even if it can be road registered when/if I finish!) I decided not to jump, might regret that long-term...

Anyhoo, keen to revive this topic and hear what people are up to (if anything!) :D

Last edited by ten_sim on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've been keeping an eye out for donor R1s at the write off auctions, missed out on one a couple of months ago. I've been knocked back by two engineers just on concept, not even interested in looking at a proposal.

A member here, whose name I forget, from Sunbury, has suggested an engineer in Richmond. When I get time I will try my luck with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:20 pm 
848cc
848cc

still doing body work on shell i have for the conversion also dont have any funds for project at the moment. things are a bit tight at the moment work is very dead hoping it all recovers soon.

i have some ideas on the gearbox and diff unit but need to draw it up first and go from there.

it wont happen overnight but it will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have been watching this topic/s for a while and I have spoken to several people about the swap my main questions with registration in Vic,

Would you have to install steeringwheel with airbag and/abs etc.. Considering you are swapping a very modern engine into a old vehicle?

Or would it have completely different parameters for a promotive kit ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 am 
Bimmer Twinky

well my R1 powered buggy has been going really well for a few years,,, but now we swapped out the old 98 model carby engine & put in the newer 07 injected engine & we`r just waiting for the (so called) wiring gurus to make it go veroom :-( it`s taking for ever :-(

anyways, my engineer has looked over all what we have already done & talked over & over & sorted through all the legalities & engineering designs & taken into account everyone`s points-of-view & he`s come to the conclusion that it`s do-able & he`s happy to sign off with it.

however,,, with all the Bimmer Twinky engines i have on the go at the moment,,, & my health (heart attacks & strokes & such) making things even slower than what i already was,,, there has been no movement on a Legally approved & finished & ready to go "R1-Kit" as such.

but if anyone wanted to come have a look at my buggy then you`re more than welcome because it is just an R1 in a mini front subframe... easy-peasy. :-)

Once i get all these Twinky engines out the way i`ll probably focus on my 4x4 turbo Hayabusa mini project instead of building R1 road car Kits for other people, because i`d much rather go racing a 4x4 turbo Hayabusa powered mini than build R1 powered road minis so please don`t hold your breath waiting for me to produce an R1 powered mini Kit,,,

however, the home work has been done, my engineer is happy , the fact is--> you can have them legally approved.

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:01 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Hey Mat, sounds exciting! I have only ever read about one other awd hayabusa powered car, I think it's called The DP1? Anyway they used a torque splitter and chain drive, light weight and it can handle the added stress of a turbo charger.

There was one other project, unsure where I saw it, maybe uphill racers, unsure.. Anyway they mounted a r1 unit to a Rav4? Drivetrain, how ever I don't think it got finished.

Would love to hear more about your project, sounds nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:14 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Just had a look, the DP-1 was the first prototype.
They are up to the D4 now:
http://www.dpcars.net/

Nice, but pretty steep for a track toy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm 
Milatsmadmini

Found a moke on that site :lol:

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

What engineer should I speak to in Vic?
For a promotive kit etc...

I would like to discuss and make sure it's a possibility with heritage registration before jumping completely in.

Any contacts would be greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/twin-r1-engine-mini- ... 7459996266

20k AUD will get you all the bits you need to rebuild a local mini with 2x R1 engines and shaft drive (with reverse)...RWD too. We can only dream that compliance for such a beast would be possible here :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Came across this, looks like someone in oz is giving it a go

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... teresting/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

yeah i believe that fella is on here

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

How did your new engine go last week Matt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:54 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Ah awesome,,, it went absolutely awesome... however, with more power comes less traction :-)

But (for some reason) i have this massive smile on my face & havn`t been able to stop giggling :-)

my neck & arms are soooooo sore tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
TheMiniMan wrote:
my neck & arms are soooooo sore tho

Thats is because it's time for a co-driver (hint, hint).... :wink: